Lab cache counts as a find, but not in the calendar?

MotorBug

Recently I noticed a one number discrepancy in the find count between the icon on my public profile page and my public statistics page and calendar. Through the miracle of GSAK, I traced it to the one-time lab cache allowed last month.

This is an issue for a challenge cache that requires a different icon for 9 milestone entries. http://coord.info/GC4YKW3

Which number will GC use for the milestone entry? Why count it one place but not the other?

Probably this has been discussed somewhere but I did not see it in any recent threads. If it is there please just point me to it.

Well, its obvious this cache owner is not using the Geocaching.com milestones so if its just your GSAK stats every 100 caches, you can use it as an other icon in my book but its up to the CO. I personally loaded my lab caches into GSAK and call them an "other" cache. Thus, a different icon.

Lab counts as it stands do not count for Milestones so it won't count there. If you had one lab cache, your milestones will not match by 1, so just lock in the cache that is next in line. Hopefully some day they will count. Either way, this challenge CO uses 3rd party statistics so load them up as if it counts there.

That would be problematic since they have long prohibited caches that require a secret word to log and lab caches are exactly that. If they incorporate them then they will have to allow that for other types. They also have a limited life time which violates the long term requirements. I think they will remain as is which is something to deal with the issue of people logging multiple finds at an event that puts out temporary caches

I am approaching a milestone and am hoping to make it an event. (There was a challenge cache, perhaps in Washington, that required different types of caches for different milestones.) I have found 8 lab caches. From what was said here, am I correct in guessing that I can ignore the 8 and the count on My Profile to figure my next milestone? Can I go by my count, which does not include the 8 labs? Locking in a milrstone is mentioned here, too. How does that work? What if I want to change the one it shows first?

I don't think my lab finds show in my calendar. They show in my count, but I wish they wouldn't.

Got some of this sorted out this morning. Now that I have been the Lab Cache route and dealt with the challenges of getting them to show in my GSAK macro produced stats, I can't say I'm planning to do any more of these things. <_<
Yeah, I haven't done any myself (there was plenty going on at the mega event without them), but if I ever do any, then I might log them to help GS with their beta testing (or whatever the lab caches are being used for), but then I'd delete them to avoid the confusion they cause.

Well, its obvious this cache owner is not using the Geocaching.com milestones so if its just your GSAK stats every 100 caches, you can use it as an other icon in my book but its up to the CO.

Actually, Groundspeak generally prohibits the use of Lab caches in Challenge cache requirements. Groundspeak has given cache owners the option to use Lab caches in only three cases: challenges involving Total Finds, Longest Streaks, and the Finds for Each Day of the Year grid. Milestones are not among these exemptions, but Groundspeak might opt to add such an exception in the future.

I've had to go through this several times, to make my stats align.

First, Project-GC will not handle lab caches, yet. They are working on it, but there is no information as to when this will happen.

Groundspeak includes Lab Caches in your Finds and Calendar fields, but not in the D/T grid. The are NOT included in the MY Finds PQ.

MyGeocachingProfile can handle Lab Caches, but you have to enter the information manually.

GSAK can handle Lab Caches, but you have to download the GPX files manually. After downloading, you'll have to edit some any information that is appropriate. Read post #7 on downloading: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=325271