Event Advice

Geeky Gal

Don't plan too many activities. Leave plenty of time for people to socialize.

A raffle is fine, but don't let it go on too long. If you're going to have enough prizes for everyone (or nearly everyone) to get one, then just give out door prizes as people arrive instead.

An ice-breaker is good, especially an informal one like geocacher bingo that allows people to participate at their own pace.

Go to a restaurant. Nothing expensive, but not a dive bar. People can eat if they want, or just talk over coffee, or wobbly pop. Prizes? Sure you could give something to everyone, but that gets expensive, especially for something simple like a meet and greet. A couple prizes would be fine, coins, TB's maybe an ammo can. I've even camo'd some LnL's and put logs, pencils and some dollar store toys. It's a ready to place cache. But honestly, in my city at least, most of the cachers are...we'll say established. For our average event for ourselves, I don't think there have been prizes for a while. When someone gets coins or PT's, or comes into something, they'll hand them out, but there is no effort for prizes. We usually save prizes for the annual event, or events that may have new cachers, or cachers from out of town.

I have my first event planned for the summer, my summer soiree, it's going to simply be a meet at the pub, i've been to a few events myself and in my area there is always a big turnout! I won't be doing a raffle or any activities bar releasing a few caches in the area within walking distance of the pub, you could try publishing a puzzle during the event ( contact your local reviewer) so the people attending could sit down and help each other solve it!! It's entirely up to you :)