Can't send cache to Oregon 600

sviking

Help! I tried sending some caches directly to my Oregon 600 from geochacing.com and it tells me that my unit not compatible (I call BS) or that my plugin needs updating. According to Garmin, I have the latest plugin. I was able to send caches just fine to my old 60CSx. I'm running the latest version of Firefox and my Oregon 600 is running the latest 3.80 firmware. I've searched and haven't been able to find anything. I've removed/reinstalled the Garmin communicator and USB drivers. Nothing works. Thanks!

Edited by sviking

Just a guess... you are running with Internet Express as a browser, yes? Guessing, because these forums a loaded with like questions (posed differently though, by each person asking the Q).

If so, your problem is the browser, not the plug-in, your GPSr or the website.

You need to:

Change the "Compatibility Mode" setting of your Internet Explorer browser (in Tools).

--or--

Change to another browser. Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome do not exhibit this problem.

Just a guess... you are running with Internet Express as a browser, yes? Guessing, because these forums a loaded with like questions (posed differently though, by each person asking the Q).

If so, your problem is the browser, not the plug-in, your GPSr or the website.

You need to:

Change the "Compatibility Mode" setting of your Internet Explorer browser (in Tools).

--or--

Change to another browser. Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome do not exhibit this problem.

Thanks, but per my original post, I'm running the latest version of Firefox as my browser. The Oregon 600 is detected just fine and shows up in the list, but when I click "write", it tells me either it does not support the items or the Garmin communicator plug in needs to be upgraded. Again, according to Garmin via the link provided right there, I have the latest version. Frustrating since it worked with my old 60CSx just fine before trying the Oregon 600.

Garmin communicator version 4.1.0.0. is what's installed.

Edited by sviking

Figured it out, zero thanks to you. It needed to be in USB MASS STORAGE mode. Not sure why as the 60CSx doesn't.

WOW. A little impatient. GG probably figured you had read the manual so he didn't include the obvious. The 600 is running a newer generation of firmware than the 10 year old 60 series so that would be one of the reasons it's different.

Figured it out, zero thanks to you. It needed to be in USB MASS STORAGE mode. Not sure why as the 60CSx doesn't.

WOW. A little impatient. GG probably figured you had read the manual so he didn't include the obvious. The 600 is running a newer generation of firmware than the 10 year old 60 series so that would be one of the reasons it's different.

Not impatient, responding to a rather rude "know it all" who attacked me several times, here and elsewhere. And, didn't even take the time to read the post before suggesting I not use IE. :rolleyes:

There is also NO reason the much newer Oregon 600 can't accept geocaches sent directly like, as you said, the TEN YEAR OLD 60 series. If anything, it's a geocaching.com problem because the hardware can definitely do it.

Edited by sviking

Not impatient, responding to a rather rude "know it all" who attacked me several times, here and elsewhere. And, didn't even take the time to read the post before suggesting I not use IE. :rolleyes:

There is also NO reason the much newer Oregon 600 can't accept geocaches sent directly like, as you said, the TEN YEAR OLD 60 series. If anything, it's a geocaching.com problem because the hardware can definitely do it.

He did NOT attack you. But if you like, I could. I have no problem being rude.....And how is it the fault of Groundspeak? Do you really expect them to make their product work how everyone wants it with every manufacturer? Anyway they just provide you with the file to download. You have download a plug in-from the manufacturer-to be able to download it. And is this one answer enough or should I reply 2 more times?

sheldon-knock-penny.jpg

*Knock, Knock, Knock

Penny!

*Knock, Knock, Knock

Penny!

*Knock, Knock, Knock

Penny!

Edited by T.D.M.22

Quick to blame, slow to learn. How the system behaves is because of Garmin firmware and has NOTHING to do with GS and little to do with the hardware as firmware is needed to make the hardware able to communicate.

The first thing that happens when you plug a USB cable into your GPS and it is NOT in Mass Storage Mode(MSM), is the GPS will ask you if you want to change mode. If you don't do so, even the OS will not be able to talk to the GPS. So tell me how it is the fault of GS if the OS can't talk to the unit.

When you change the setting to MSM you will find that the OS can now talk to the GPS, and you can put files on the GPS without the plugin. Select Send GPX file and then tell the OS to save the file to the appropriate folder: [GPS DRIVE]\Garmin\GPX. Again GS has nothing to do with this. Or download a PQ, extract the file(s) and drop and drag the files to the GPX directory.

Or you can install the plugin, put the GPS in the MSM mode and send the individual file directly to the GPS.

The failure for it to work was because YOU did not have it set properly despite being prompted to do so. GS is responsible for many issues but this isn't one of them. As you continue to learn the features and intricacies of your new unit, I'm sure you will really like it. Have fun.

The first thing that happens when you plug a USB cable into your GPS and it is NOT in Mass Storage Mode(MSM), is the GPS will ask you if you want to change mode. If you don't do so, even the OS will not be able to talk to the GPS. So tell me how it is the fault of GS if the OS can't talk to the unit.

Oh, that's absolute trash and you know it. You can send waypoints, install maps, etc. With much OLDER units via Mapsource. There's no reason the much newer 600 shouldn't be able to do the same thing and NO reason this forum shouldn't be supporting the newer units unless they're already planning their obsolescence. :rolleyes:

When you change the setting to MSM you will find that the OS can now talk to the GPS, and you can put files on the GPS without the plugin. Select Send GPX file and then tell the OS to save the file to the appropriate folder: [GPS DRIVE]\Garmin\GPX. Again GS has nothing to do with this. Or download a PQ, extract the file(s) and drop and drag the files to the GPX directory.

And, why exactly do all that crap? USB mode, "Send to GPS" and boom... That's it. They are there. Maybe YOU should review your procedures instead of unnecessarily obfuscating them, eh?

And, why exactly do all that crap? USB mode, "Send to GPS" and boom... That's it. They are there. Maybe YOU should review your procedures instead of unnecessarily obfuscating them, eh?

You remind me of a slinky....

Oh, that's absolute trash and you know it. You can send waypoints, install maps, etc. With much OLDER units via Mapsource. There's no reason the much newer 600 shouldn't be able to do the same thing and NO reason this forum shouldn't be supporting the newer units unless they're already planning their obsolescence. :rolleyes:

LOL. I see you are now shifting your pointing blame from GS to Garmin but unfortunately you are just as uninformed as before. You may be surprised to learn Mapsource is not an operating system. In fact Mapsource is the reason Garmin mode exists in your GPS. You get it yet? Mapsourse is old technology. Full USB support is the new way. You might try reading a little about your GSP at the Garmin site so you can learn about some of the technology you are misunderstanding.

The slinky is at the bottom. Further discussion is pointless.