etrex 10

Ruthnjack

I have an etrex 10 too. The only way I have figured out to do this, is to go to the device when it's plugged in to the computer. Go to the subfolder Garmin and there you will find a list of all the GCs. You can delete the GC numbers by right clicking and then choosing 'delete'.

This is really tiresome but I don't know another way.... If someone has a better way, I would be delighted to hear it! :anibad:

I usually just flick between my geocaching page where it will show the most recent caches you have found, and then back to the folder... this is how my bro-in-law showed me to do it, since he had a 10 before me... you have to think there *must* be a better way but who knows?

(patiently waits for someone to come by and let us know of a simpler way ..... :laughing: :laughing: )

First question, how are you getting the cache information onto the Etrex? If you are sending them to the device one at a time, then you will probably have to delete them one at a time. I don't think you can delete them directly from the unit, I think you'll have to plug it in and delete them from the Garmin folder, as sarahmur pointed out.

However, since you are a Premium member, you could use Pocket Queries to send up to 1,000 caches at a time to the device. The caches sent to the device in this manner are all in one big GPX file. When you want to clear them out simply plug in, navigate to the folder containing the GPX file, and delete the whole file. Now all the geocaches are gone and you're ready to load some more. That's how I do it, anyway.

First question, how are you getting the cache information onto the Etrex? If you are sending them to the device one at a time, then you will probably have to delete them one at a time. I don't think you can delete them directly from the unit, I think you'll have to plug it in and delete them from the Garmin folder, as sarahmur pointed out.

However, since you are a Premium member, you could use Pocket Queries to send up to 1,000 caches at a time to the device. The caches sent to the device in this manner are all in one big GPX file. When you want to clear them out simply plug in, navigate to the folder containing the GPX file, and delete the whole file. Now all the geocaches are gone and you're ready to load some more. That's how I do it, anyway.

Yes-I put them on singly like you say. I'm quite new to geocaching so I'm only just learning. I'll have to read up about Pocket Queries-thay sound like a good solution. Thank you very much.

Many folks who use Pocket Queries regularly will say that it is THE primary advantage of Premium membership (myself included). You're paying for it, might as well use it 😉

With PQ's, if I'm planning to go caching in a particular area, instead of hand-picking individual caches to find, I just use the Geocaching map to sort of frame the area I'm interested in, scroll around and zoom in/out until I have a good overview of the whole area, then on the left hand panel select "Save As Pocket Query". Bam, all the caches in view are now a PQ (up to 1,000). Download PQ to my Garmin (OK, there are a couple of other steps involved) then off I go.

I've written a guide on how to do a PQ and transfer it to any Garmin or Magellan GPS. It's written for a Windows PC but if you are using a MAC the process is the same, you are just copying two files from the PC/MAC to a folder on the GPS. Scroll the bottom of this page on Paperless caching on my resource site for the links to the guides.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Doing it this way also means every time you go out, you have UP TO DATE information about the caches.

Nothing worse than looking for a cache, not finding it, and getting home and looking at the website... And finding the cache was archived weeks ago!

Doing it this way also means every time you go out, you have UP TO DATE information about the caches.

Nothing worse than looking for a cache, not finding it, and getting home and looking at the website... And finding the cache was archived weeks ago!

I use an Etrex 10. It has much less memory than the 20 & 30. About 600 caches is its limit where it starts giving low memory messages. It's comfortable with 500. A great entry level paperless caching GPSr.