How often should a co check a geocache

pvtplt172

Today i finally got my first geocache published. and Congrats to the first two people on first to find. I wanted to know how often should a co check on their cache?

My first one, at first I checked on it whenever someone posted a Find. It was just a short walk from my home, so the maintenance check was pretty easy. I got over that after a while, so now I check whenever there's a NM, or 2 DNFs in a row. I try to get to them within a week in the spring/summer/fall, but in the winter it may take longer.

Today i finally got my first geocache published. and Congrats to the first two people on first to find. I wanted to know how often should a co check on their cache?

I agree with Nan Cycle. My first hides I checked every week. Just for fun. But if you have a water tight container, a good size logbook and a good hiding spot that's not likely to be discovered by muggles you probably don't have to check on it often. Once or twice a year should suffice, to wipe down the container, replace the logbook if needed and add a couple of trinkets if it's swag size and if you want to. I like to check on ours once a season.

I only check mine if I become aware of a problem, or a potential problem. If a DNF is logged I won't rush out immediately and check in it, but I will stop and check the next time I'm in the area. Or like the one time I passed by and saw there had been a fire in the area, I stopped to check and found the cache had burnt up.

• Upvote 1

I only check mine if I become aware of a problem, or a potential problem. If a DNF is logged I won't rush out immediately and check in it, but I will stop and check the next time I'm in the area. Or like the one time I passed by and saw there had been a fire in the area, I stopped to check and found the cache had burnt up.

Right, or if a Needs Maintenance is filed, of course. This is a good answer to the general question asked.

But as others have mentioned, a new cacher doing a new hide should probably check on it more often, even when no problems have been mentioned. The reason is that with so few finds, you are likely not aware of all the issues that a cache can encounter, so checking up on it will help you learn what you haven't yet learned by finding other people's caches in various states of disrepair.

Of course, the real answer is that you should check it often enough such that everyone agrees you're doing a good job maintaining your cache, however often that might be.

Just the other day I was on my way to work and while driving by one of my hide locations (coincidentally the one that had previously burned up in a fire, which I mentioned earlier), I saw a couple looking for it. I pulled in and introduced myself and let them find the cache themselves (they had just started that day, it was their second find) Later that evening I logged my encounter with an Owner Maintenance log, both to document the chance encounter with other cachers, and since I did technically check on the cache. Two birds with one stone.

• Upvote 1

One of the reasons I wanted to see the filled spots where people signed. As Chief 301 can tell you I searched hi and low for spots that i could put a cache, and almost gave up. Last Sunday when I was walking mines falls after I made 2 caches that day i was walking back to my car and saw a spot that was calling my name. I scaned for geocaches and they were all far enough away. My only fear was the multi that i still have not figured out yet was near by. I did a coordinates check and it was cleard by the publisher. :) Two days ago I placed it out and Early this morning it was published :) FINALLY hard work paid off. :)

I like to check at least a couple of times a year because sometimes there is a problem but no one says anything about it in the logs. I take pride in trying to create a pleasant geocaching experience that includes a container, a logbook, and a few trinkets in good shape. Sometimes it's not the cache itself but the area that changes and becomes less appealing.

I think it depends on the cache. Of course you should check if there is a reported problem or there are multiple DNFs. In most cases the third one gets me out there to take a look. Maybe at the second if it's a real easy cache and the DNFs are from veteran cachers. It's also good to assess the impact on the area, so if there are a lot of finds, stopping by every few months is a good idea.

But for a remote cache in an ammo box that gets found two or three times times a year, I can go a long time between checks. I own some caches I haven't visited in years. The occasional logs indicate everything is in order so I'm not going to hike many miles specifically to check on a cache that by all appearances is in fine shape. If I happen to be in the area, sure.

Edited by briansnat
  • Upvote 1

I agree with the previous responses. A periodic check if a long time between finds, 2 DNFs in a row, notification of a problem in found it or needs maintenance log, or if I just want to visit the area.

Remember when you check your cache to leave an owner maintenance log. It will remove a needs maintenance attribute if one has been left and it also lets anyone who is deciding what cache to look for next that your cache is in place and well maintained.

I think it depends on the cache. Of course you should check if there is a reported problem or there are multiple DNFs. In most cases the third one gets me out there to take a look. Maybe at the second if it's a real easy cache and the DNFs are from veteran cachers. It's also good to assess the impact on the area, so if there are a lot of finds, stopping by every few months is a good idea.

But for a remote cache in an ammo box that gets found two or three times times a year, I can go a long time between checks. I own some caches I haven't visited in years. The occasional logs indicate everything is in order so I'm not going to hike many miles specifically to check on a cache that by all appearances is in fine shape. If I happen to be in the area, sure.

I agree. If there's a problem, I'll go check, when I get he opportunity. Usually, the cacher just could not find it. If I had to check on my caches regularly, I'd archive most of them! There are some pretty good hikes involved!

As to the first paragraph... Even my urban caches can take some time to check on... Six DNFs in one month, by six cachers will a total find of 60000 on one of my caches! (Though I'm not sure about the DNFs by the European cachers. They have not logged any finds nearby. Maybe they're waiting to log their finds, or maybe they typed in the wrong code? Dunno.) Finally got the chance to check it out. (Hey. It may be urban, but still over a mile round trip to get to it...) Came prepared with a replacement. Guess what? It had been replaced about 20' off, but it was still there!!! But I did find it humorous that six cachers averaging 10000 finds each could not find it!

I agree with all that's been said before, and will add one point.

I'll go out and check on a cache that is in line of a series of caches on a trail that gets jumped over. I don't know of many cachers that will walk right past a regular cache without trying to find it. I DO know of LOTS of cachers that won't post DNFs, so when I see something like that happening a couple of times I'll check just in case there's something wrong with the cache with no DNF logs.

Normally I wait for a mention of a problem in a FOUND IT log, a DNF, or NM log before I'll check

Yep here is a example of one of our hides. http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2ZV3N_warninjas-pentastic-cache?guid=6161d93d-9406-46a9-9a39-5794164a870c After a friend posted a DNF on it we went and checked it. Still there. I think there might be 2 there as so many logs that were not on the one we found. It is not a long hike but diffidently some work up and down the hill. Kind of a long hike. We just check on them when we think it is needed. No set time on when it needs to be done.

BC & MsKitty just posted about checking an unfound cache if you notice others around it being found, but not that one.

This assumes that people are hunting it, missing it, and not logging DNFs. Which is a reasonable assumption............ but not always true.

I noticed a several of my forest hides being found, but one was not getting any logs. Figured that the one with no logs was missing, nobody logging that DNF. So I made the trip - nope, it was right where I left it. I did move it, as cover was changing, so just as well I visited.

I own some ammo cans I haven't seen in 4 years. Because rust is an issue here, 5 years I'll check carrying replacement can.

BC & MsKitty just posted about checking an unfound cache if you notice others around it being found, but not that one.

This assumes that people are hunting it, missing it, and not logging DNFs. Which is a reasonable assumption............ but not always true.

I noticed a several of my forest hides being found, but one was not getting any logs. Figured that the one with no logs was missing, nobody logging that DNF. So I made the trip - nope, it was right where I left it. I did move it, as cover was changing, so just as well I visited.

I own some ammo cans I haven't seen in 4 years. Because rust is an issue here, 5 years I'll check carrying replacement can.

Bolded ... Absolutely!

It's just something I do. Every time, though, the cache(s) have been there, and I wonder again why there are no logs DNF or otherwise. I still think that many times they just can't find it but don't log a DNF.. Especially when I get lots of found it logs on other caches where the finder says something like "after 3 tries we finally found this one" and there have been no DNFs for them before..... So... there are lots of cachers that are reluctant to log DNFs and when I see the above pattern develop I try to get out and check just to satisfy myself that the cache is OK. One just never knows.