Using Maps

MikeofKorea

I was just thinking that if everyone checked their hides on Google Maps or something, they could make sure their coordinates aren't too totally off. For example, this cache isn't in the middle of the road; it's on the pedestrian crosswalk nearby. The owner could reset his posted coords to the crosswalk by using the map. What do you think? :grin:

Whatwouldbenice.jpg

That would be why they put that option on the cache creation page. But aside from that the maps aren't always accurate. Sometimes off by a couple feet, sometimes off by way more than that. One map in my area isn't even the same between normal and Ariel views- apparently there's a road through my house.

I certainly can't object to that idea, particularly when presented as confirmation. But one thing I've noticed is that people often use the 45° view, since that's the default at higher magnifications when it's available, and in my area, at least, it's always available. The 45° view is typically way off from the straight down view in my experience, and I've seen a few people "adjust" their coordinates to that bogus location instead of using what their GPSr tells them.

The bottom line is that you use the GPSr to get the coordinates and confirm them with a straight down space view, but if the confirmation fails, that means you need to go back out with your GPSr to try to get better numbers. Don't just replace the GPSr numbers -- i.e., what everyone else will be seeing when they look for your cache -- with the coordinates you get from the space view.