pontoon bridge

I can't think of one. The closest would probably be Hiking Path Footbridges, but that's intended for bridges away from civilization out in the wilderness, while it sounds like yours is close to civilization. Maybe a new category? There's one floating pedestrian bridge near me, but I'm not sure how common they are.

Maybe there should be a category for floating structures (not just bridges) - I suspect that floating bridges would be a bit too narrow of a category (and besides do we really need another category dedicated to bridges). Could include any floating bridges, floating buildings, any floating structure but with a reasonable lower threshold (such that every small floating dock would not be accepted). Same for single family residences and other small floating structures

There are a few very large floating bridges in Washington State that I first came across on Wikipedia but as best as I can tell they are not listed on Waymarking:

Maybe there should be a category for floating structures (not just bridges). Can include any floating bridges, floating buildings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacey_V._Murrow_Memorial_Bridge

The Lacey V. Murrow Memorial Bridge is a floating bridge that carries the eastbound lanes of Interstate 90 across Lake Washington from Seattle to Mercer Island, Washington. Westbound traffic is carried by the Homer M. Hadley Memorial Bridge running parallel to it. The Lacey V. Murrow Memorial Bridge is the second longest floating bridge on Earth at 6,620 ft (2,020 m)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_Albert_D._Rosellini_Bridge%E2%80%94Evergreen_Point

The Governor Albert D. Rosellini Bridge—Evergreen Point (formerly the Evergreen Point Floating Bridge, and commonly called the SR 520 Bridge or 520 Bridge) is the longest floating bridge on Earth at 2,310 meters (7,580 ft)

Some of these floating bridges have sections which open up for boat traffic and might qualify under the Moving Bridges category

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hood_Canal_Bridge

Another noteworthy floating structure:

Floating Dragon: China’s first floating, low carbon, eco-friendly healthy living center

http://www.waterstudio.nl/projects/119#

I also came across many floating structures in the design stage, but few that have actually been built. Lots of talk that these will become more common in the near future.

Here in Hamilton Ontario we have a floating walkway that connects two sections of a walking trail: The 3.4 kilometre long multi-use trail makes its way along the shore from Bayfront Park to Princess Point, and through the Desjardins Canal with a floating walkway paralleling the boat channel. The walkway is could be considered to be a floating bridge and is about 200 meters long

http://www.ontariotrails.on.ca/trails-a-z/waterfront-trail---hamilton-harbour

Could this be a viable category? Anyone want to form a group an pursue this idea?

This is an interesting thought, but probably this thread needs to be moved to the New Categories forum.

Floating bridges might be a viable category, even though probably very few around the world. Adding other floating structures/objects/buildings might make for a more interesting and diverse category. Variables could be used for type of floating site.

I visited a very interesting floating pagoda on off shore from Anmyeon-do, Korea. But, it is on solid ground at low tide. Personally, I would include something like this.

One of the most important criteria would be permanency. There are floating restaurants in the harbor at Pattaya, Thailand, and I'm sure other places. Seasonal, or other temporary structures should be excluded, and maybe some other things such as diving docks, piers, boat houses, house boats, etc. Perhaps limiting the category to named and publicly accessible structures would be feasible.

In any case, I think this is an idea that is worthy of further discussion and development.

I've thought some more about this category and decided to not pursue it any further. My reason for this is: I'm not really interested in creating another Waymark category for which they may possibly be less than a few dozen or maybe at best a few hundred suitable locations to waymark worldwide. In my opinion we already have too many categories as it is.

Of course anyone else is welcome to pursue it if they wish.

Thank-you.

I've thought some more about this category and decided to not pursue it any further. My reason for this is: I'm not really interested in creating another Waymark category for which they may possibly be less than a few dozen or maybe at best a few hundred suitable locations to waymark worldwide. In my opinion we already have too many categories as it is.

Of course anyone else is welcome to pursue it if they wish.

Thank-you.