Bruce trail caching

rovers3

So, I opened the copy of Bruce Trail Magazine that I received today and there is an article about geocaching on the Bruce Trail.

It states that only

Geocaches on BTC owned or managed land

1. The BTC will allow virtual geocaches on BTC

owned or managed land. Physical geocaches

of any kind are not permitted on BTC owned

or managed land.

2. Virtual geocaches must be approved by the

aTC, located on the Bruce Trail and accessed

only by the marked Trail route.

3. The BTC will request that a virtual cache be

de-listed if it is located off the Trail route. If

the cache owner does not de-list the cache as

requested, the BTC will notify the local geocaching

administrator to request immediate de-listing of

the cache in question.

Since there are no longer new virtual caches caches on the geocaching website other than earthcaches does that mean that there will no longer be new physical caches on the above mentioned lands and what about the ones that are already there?

Since there are no longer new virtual caches caches on the geocaching website other than earthcaches does that mean that there will no longer be new physical caches on the above mentioned lands and what about the ones that are already there?

Officially they do not want any caches on their land (which is 12% of the trail or so) and no grandfathering. That is their right to ask.

I stopped renewing my BT membership when this policy came out last year, and when they called to ask me why I didn't renew my 20+ year membership, I told them this is why.

Officially they do not want any caches on their land (which is 12% of the trail or so) and no grandfathering. That is their right to ask.

I stopped renewing my BT membership when this policy came out last year, and when they called to ask me why I didn't renew my 20+ year membership, I told them this is why.

Is there anything more that can be done? I don't have a membership so can't cancel one. Well, on the plus side it's only 12% of the trail.

It's a shame. Feels like a reflex reaction. Perhaps they don't see all the positive aspects including making more people aware of the BTC's efforts and our beautiful geography, by playing outdoors in a low-impact, family-friendly activity. Before geocaching I knew almost nothing about the BT since I had never hiked.

Edited by L0ne.R
1395764231[/url]' post='5363732']
1395759538[/url]' post='5363718']
1394219043[/url]' post='5358459']

Is there anything more that can be done? I don't have a membership so can't cancel one. Well, on the plus side it's only 12% of the trail.

It's a shame. Feels like a reflex reaction. Perhaps they don't see all the positive aspects including making more people aware of the BTC's efforts and our beautiful geography, by playing outdoors in a low-impact, family-friendly activity. Before geocaching I knew almost nothing about the BT since I had never hiked.

I was one of the people involved in several meetings with the BTC leadership. They seemed to have a good grasp of the concept and things appeared to be going well at the time, but I also got the impression they were looking for a scapegoat for their problems in the Caledon section with landowners, who were also upset that "geocachers did not walk single file on roadway sections". It is unfortunate that they adopted the Ontario Parks model instead of the Parks Canada model.

As for what can be done, best is to find out exactly who the landowner is and get permission from them, ignoring the BTC for land they do not own or manage. A reminder that "routing the trail" does not count as land management ... It is typically defined as "who is paying the property tax".

I agree with LOne.R. If it were not for geocaching, I would not have had a taste of the Bruce Trail which started me on the road to exploring it and loving it. I bought their map book a couple years back and the pages are now well used and marked. Kudos to northernpenguin for taking a stand and bringing this to their attention by withdrawing their membership.

I was looking at the Bruce Trail site when I clicked on "Explore the Trail : 50 fantastic natural and cultural treasures along the Bruce Trail await your discovery." . Wow, I thought, maybe they've changed their minds about geocaching. Then on the Find a Bruce Trail Cache page, it says: In keeping with our Geocaching Policy, all of these locations are landmarks rather than physical, human-made caches. I was disappointed, perplexed and irritated to find that they created "caches" and say that it's in keeping with geocaching policy. They seem to have used the popularity of geocaching to promote highlights of the BT yet deny the pastime to their users.