AWESOME Category Proposal #3

Folks,

In the past 2.5 years I've been Waymarking, I've come across many dated structures (buildings, drinking fountains, tunnels, culverts, etc.) containing plaques, an engraved date in stone, marble, concrete, etc. on some object that particular organization or entity wanted to share with the public to remember that date of construction or placement of a structure.

Here's the issue: the great majority of dated structures that I come across in my travels don't fall into ANY existing category and so are left in limbo, looking for a category to call 'home'. Whenever I try to submit a dated plaque on a building into the Dated Buildings and Cornerstones category, it gets denied because it's a plaque, even though it may have been placed when the building was erected. Frustrating. I have about 20-plus dated building plaques that need a home.

Look at the pictures I've included below to see my point and then read my proposal at the bottom:

18b59a6c-b57e-4825-b3e7-d06229629894.jpg

c96a7b76-d5da-4628-9afb-8c527091bb52.jpg

37e6b5d8-b1f5-4e17-bd68-e26daa1c1bb3.jpg

fb990f91-ead6-4c09-8d56-33753a006e3e.jpg

f288f25d-6953-45c8-9f6d-9153d5bea802.jpg

7459b00f-fc6d-403c-9d06-4501314c61ea.jpg

3280cc9b-c0d6-4a6d-bff1-b3f12fd960a8.jpg

7aa1aa1d-2024-4f43-8d31-45d199caabb9.jpg

What do all the above images have in common? They have no home! They sit in purgatory, waiting...

That's why I propose a category specifically for any and all dated structures that people may come across that don't fit into any existing categories (like Dated Buildings and Cornerstones and Bridge Datestones and Plaques). This multifarious category is definitely global, prevalent, interesting and informative and NOT redundant, since there is NO existing category to place dated structures into. That's why I gave it the title 'Multifarious' for the variety of dated structures that this category would gladly accept.

I'm pretty confident I have a winner here. Why? Because I've had a number of dated structures be denied in other categories and the denying officers always reply with "I wish there was a category to place this into...". Now there will be! I will be creating a group devoted to this hopeful new category. Anyone interested in joining this group let me know here! :)

~thebeav69

I like the years engraved into the tunnel, arch etc but dated plaques are a dime a dozen & should remain in purgatory.

Interesting comment, Tuena, that you think dated plaques are a 'dime a dozen' and shouldn't be in a category.

So are you of the same opinion of the 'dime a dozen' cornerstones and dated buildings that are currently accepted in the Dated Buildings and Cornerstones category? What about the 'dime a dozen' Bridge Datestones and Plaques category?

YOU may find a dated plaque on a building as commonplace and uninteresting but I would assume other waymarkers (including myself) find them historical, informative and a highlight to a building's architecture. In fact, many of the dated plaques on buildings across the USA give hints to other categories that the buildings themselves would fall into (Civilian Conservation Corps, WPA Projects and LEED Buildings for instance).

Since you're open to accepting dated tunnels, culverts that are part of a canal or railroad, dated arches, fountains, etc., you would still be receptive to a category devoted to these, right?

• Love 1

I have about two dozen or so "dedication plaques" from area churches. Dedication plaques are really historical records - they list names of people, dates and other significant information about the structure they are attached to. They aren't corner stones because they are "attached" to the building and not part of the foundation or structure.

If I was more html savvy, I would include some photos here.

I think if written carefully, this has merit. But it could also lead to a lot of frustration to group leaders.

It would have to specify that anything which could be placed in Bridge Date Stones and Plaques or Dated Building and Cornerstones would belong in their respective category.

I'm interested.

Let's see how this plays out.

There's been more than one building I didn't waymark into the dated buildings for the same reason - most recently, a church in Brookfield, Mo. I do like these dated buildings - I am learning a lot about architecture as most are National Register buildings in my area...

My dear beaver,

While I respect the requirements of the other "dated" categories, you are right that there are many others dated buildings and structures that are left homeless waifs because the date is on a sign or plaque or they are neither buildings nor bridges. I've passed by so many of these because I new they would not qualify.

Should there be a multifarious category for the rest of these dated things? Are they too common and ubiquitous? Well, I won't argue from the many other dime-a-dozen categories we have. can such a category stand on its own merits?

I think the overriding issue is exactly the one you have addressed: Is it interesting or useful? Even the seemingly most mundane plaque or other date has a story to tell. It is a tangible record of something important enough that someone wanted to record the date. Creating a waymark is a new form of documentation for that event/structure/building often containing information that may not exist or be readily available elsewhere.

I think one of the keys to such a category is requiring a good description as well as good photos. Telling the story is the point. Close-ups and text of plaques are essential. Sure, it may take time to type in the names, inscriptions and dates on a plaque, but that is what a good waymark can do.

So, I do think you have another good one here. Now I'll wish I hadn't passed up so many of these. :sad:

I have about two dozen or so "dedication plaques" from area churches. Dedication plaques are really historical records - they list names of people, dates and other significant information about the structure they are attached to. They aren't corner stones because they are "attached" to the building and not part of the foundation or structure.

If I was more html savvy, I would include some photos here.

I think if written carefully, this has merit. But it could also lead to a lot of frustration to group leaders.

It would have to specify that anything which could be placed in Bridge Date Stones and Plaques or Dated Building and Cornerstones would belong in their respective category.

I'm interested.

Let's see how this plays out.

I'm interested too. I will support it. B)

All,

I've created a group titled 'All Things Dated' that will hopefully manage the future 'Dated Structures Multifarious' category. I invite anyone interested in becoming an officer of this group to click the link below and join. This potential category will need a very good writeup to make it clear what or what it won't accept as a dated structure.

Silverquill said it best: "Even the seemingly most mundane plaque or other date has a story to tell. It is a tangible record of something important enough that someone wanted to record the date."

Although there are many dated structures around the world that would make most waymarkers say, "Boring!" there are many, many more out there that have some history to share and may make a passerby think "Hmm... That's kind of cool."

All Things Dated

Now that I'm back from Spring Break vacation (much needed) I can now focus on a writeup for the Dated Structures Multifarious category. While on vacation I took dozens of pictures of dated plaques and dated structures that would fit nicely into this potential category.

Where other categories have denied these dated plaques and structures because they are unwilling to loosen their guidelines and accept them, this hopeful category will provide a home for anything dated that a waymarker comes across... BUT... the category will STILL need to have some limitations on what can be accepted so that it doesn't get out of hand. A good writeup with pictures of what is good for this category and what isn't will help eliminate confusion, etc.

Stay tuned...

Now that I'm back from Spring Break vacation (much needed) I can now focus on a writeup for the Dated Structures Multifarious category. While on vacation I took dozens of pictures of dated plaques and dated structures that would fit nicely into this potential category.

Where other categories have denied these dated plaques and structures because they are unwilling to loosen their guidelines and accept them, this hopeful category will provide a home for anything dated that a waymarker comes across... BUT... the category will STILL need to have some limitations on what can be accepted so that it doesn't get out of hand. A good writeup with pictures of what is good for this category and what isn't will help eliminate confusion, etc.

Stay tuned...

Spring Break is over - Get it written up!

Let's see where this goes...

This is the first submission of this category description to Forums - for public comments.

Background notes:

By definition: MULTIFARIOUS - having or occurring in great variety : DIVERSE FROM Waymarking MULTIFARIOUS Sub-Category Description: Scalable content area that extends beyond the standards of posting andvisitation. The location is merely one facet of the experience and often thereare additional aspects needed to be fully immersive.

PROPOSED CATEGORY NAME: Dated Structures Multifarious

Description:This category's mission is to seek out and document the many dated structures that exist worldwide and to waymark them here as an alternative to the existing categories that will not accept these.

Expanded Description:Think of this category as a place to waymark the many dated structures that exist worldwide that aren't accepted in other Waymarking categories such as Bridge Date Stones and Plaques category or the Dated Buildings and Cornerstones. These structures can be anything - a dated dedication plaque on a building, an architectural structure that contains a date as a time stamp for others to notice and appreciate. A particular structure could contain only a date etched in stone or other material and nothing else. (See example photos below)

The Dated Structures Multifarious category is a repository for all the dated structures one may come across in their travels and can't be submitted into another category. Think of this category as a place to waymark the many dated structures that exist worldwide that aren't accepted in either the Bridge Date Stones and Plaques category or the Dated Buildings and Cornerstones categories.

The most common waymark accepted into this category would likely be a dated plaque hanging in front of a building that notes its construction date and the individuals who contributed in some way to its development. These plaques are often denied in the Dated Buildings and Cornerstones category but will gladly be accepted here! Other types of dated structures that could be waymarked here include but are not limited to: tunnels, culverts, arches, gateways (entrances to properties), fountains, or similar. The pictures below should give you a good idea what this category is looking for.

37e6b5d8-b1f5-4e17-bd68-e26daa1c1bb3.jpg

fb990f91-ead6-4c09-8d56-33753a006e3e.jpg

3280cc9b-c0d6-4a6d-bff1-b3f12fd960a8.jpg

7aa1aa1d-2024-4f43-8d31-45d199caabb9.jpg

The category officers will be very receptive to the many types of dated structures that exist worldwide and are submitted into the category. The officers also reserve the right to deny a waymark if they feel it doesn't meet the criteria for acceptance according to the category guidelines and requirements.

So, there you have it.

Your comments - positive and negative are now being solicited for this proposed NEW CATEGORY.

Edited by jhuoni

Nitpicky, but I'm telling you this to be helpful:

I don't like the wording of this sentence since anything can be submitted to any category.

The Dated Structures Multifarious category is a repository for all the dated structures one may come across in their travels and can't be submitted into another category.

This is a better wording:

Think of this category as a place to waymark the many dated structures that exist worldwide that aren't accepted in either the Bridge Date Stones and Plaques category or the Dated Buildings and Cornerstones categories.

This is a given, so does it really need to be said?

The officers also reserve the right to deny a waymark if they feel it doesn't meet the criteria for acceptance according to the category guidelines and requirements.

I hope you get some good feedback and suggestions from the Waymarking community. Good luck with the category!

Nitpicky, but I'm telling you this to be helpful:

This is a better wording:

Think of this category as a place to waymark the many dated structures that exist worldwide that aren't accepted in either the Bridge Date Stones and Plaques category or the Dated Buildings and Cornerstones categories.

This is a given, so does it really need to be said?

The officers also reserve the right to deny a waymark if they feel it doesn't meet the criteria for acceptance according to the category guidelines and requirements.

I hope you get some good feedback and suggestions from the Waymarking community. Good luck with the category!

Thanks the suggestion. I made the change in the description posted here, but not in the category. I will wait until all the editing is done to make that change.

I really like the idea of this category. As someone interested in local history, I would find this information helpful and interesting.

Many historic buildings do not have cornerstones, but do have the dates placed in large numbers below the roofline, next to the building name. In some cases, there are two dates - usually the date of the original building, and then a later date for the construction of an addition. Dates of bridges, tunnels, culverts, etc. are also interesting.

A few other categories which should have priority over this one are frieze art (where the date is part of a decorative element on the exterior of a building) and any other works of art such as dated murals, sculptures, etc which have dates on them or incorporated into them. Those belong in the appropriate art category.

I've joined. Like others have said, I've past up a bundle of really interesting buildings (mostly) that would go into such a category. Seems like most (admittedly not all) buildings someone took the effort to put the date on them, it was because the building was interesting and/or important.

Sounds like you've gone a good ways into making a clear description. If you need help with HTML, I can definitely do that. I'm also open to promotion. (I'm not in too many groups -- yet.)

The buildings with dates at the roofline are acceptable in Dated Buildings and Cornerstones category.

What do such "dates at the roofline" look like? I'm not picturing that in my mind's eye. Got a link to one?

The category description doesn't mention anything about dates at the roofline. Was that a "grandfathered in" thing?

The reason I ask is that this new proposed category would naturally exclude buildings that could fit in the DB&C category. Therefore, "buildings with dates at the roofline" could be disputed because they might be allowed in DB&C (though not in the description) and therefore wouldn't be accepted into this new category. In other words, they may end up orphaned because each group thinks that they belong in the other. (Been there, done that.)

Thanks!

The buildings with dates at the roofline are acceptable in Dated Buildings and Cornerstones category.

What do such "dates at the roofline" look like? I'm not picturing that in my mind's eye. Got a link to one?

The category description doesn't mention anything about dates at the roofline. Was that a "grandfathered in" thing?

The reason I ask is that this new proposed category would naturally exclude buildings that could fit in the DB&C category. Therefore, "buildings with dates at the roofline" could be disputed because they might be allowed in DB&C (though not in the description) and therefore wouldn't be accepted into this new category. In other words, they may end up orphaned because each group thinks that they belong in the other. (Been there, done that.)

Thanks!

ANY date etched into a building can be waymarked into the Dated Buildings & Cornerstones category. I've come across many buildings with dates etched under the rooflines. All you need to do is browse the recently approved waymarks in that category and you'll come across some. One of the missions for the Dated Structures Multifarious category is to provide a home for the many dated plaques that hang in front of buildings around the world. The Dated Buildings & Cornerstones category will NOT accept these plaques. Therefore, this proposed category will provide a catch-all repository for these plaques and other dated architectural structures.

Well I know that. But it sounded like, since it was stated out of the blue that "The buildings with dates at the roofline are acceptable in Dated Buildings and Cornerstones category" -- it sounds like this is some kind of exception to having been etched in. Otherwise, what was the purpose of the statement? It would be like saying that Ulyses S. Grant is buried in Grant's tomb. (Yep.) I thought that the sentence was stating some kind of exception to the must-be-etched-in rule.

Buildings with dates (etched into/at) the roofline are accepted into Dated Buildings and Cornerstones. (Yes, I purposely changed the wording) Yes, and .... ? Since such a statement would be patently obvious, I figured that there was something behind the original statement (without "etched into").

An analogy: "Cemeteries with five grave markers will be accepted into Worldwide Cemeteries." And the point is? Cemeteries with any number of grave markers are accepted in. So what would be the purpose of such a statement. What does the statement "The buildings with dates at the roofline are acceptable..." convey, other than it is a subset of the DB&C rules? What am I missing?

And please, let's not talk cross-purposes here. I am in complete agreement with the new category and I understand how it differs from the DB&C category. What I am baffled about is a statement about the old/existing category and what it might have to do with the tea in China.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. But I'm puzzled by a one-liner on a different topic.

Edited by MountainWoods

Ah. That now brings some logical explanation to things. The statement wasn't about rooflines in general. It was stating that one of the example photos in the earlier post was of something that would be accepted in DB&C because it was already etched in at construction. (And thus, was not a good example of something that would have to go into the new category because of rejection from DB&C.)

That makes sense to me. I didn't catch it from the one-liner. (Sounded like some new generalization.)

Thanks.

And now back to the new category.

Let's do it.

Ah. That now brings some logical explanation to things. The statement wasn't about rooflines in general. It was stating that one of the example photos in the earlier post was of something that would be accepted in DB&C because it was already etched in at construction. (And thus, was not a good example of something that would have to go into the new category because of rejection from DB&C.)

That makes sense to me. I didn't catch it from the one-liner. (Sounded like some new generalization.)

Thanks.

And now back to the new category.

Let's do it.

Sorry for the short one line answer, was using mobile version on phone.

I would avoid wording like "any dated structure" or other very broad terms such as that. Aren't most gravestones dated and aren't gravestones structures? I know that is an extreme example but illustrates my point. What about sculptures, many have dates, would these be accepted?

What do you mean by "existing categories", do you mean any category or do you specifically mean the existing two dated categories?

Here are some photos (I hope these links work) showing dates on buildings to help further the discussion.

This date (1909) would be suitable for the Frieze Art category:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YiP5msXibGDGpw4dN_XSqtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

This one also fits into Frieze Art (and it is absolutely gorgeous IMO, looking forward to submitting the whole building):

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nyBkVXg1QfTSg325SSwFvdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

This one, I think, would be more suitable for the Cornerstones category:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JNnzMXznqag6AwWkn9EbKtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Hard to see if this date was carved proud (background material was removed) and therefore suitable for the Cornerstones category (I guess) or if the date and building name were attached to the building separately:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/G4LWtF4Lqh4GmUh19rhjydMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

This building (Delaware Block) probably had dates once, but they have since fallen off; with the dates still attached, would it be acceptable to Cornerstones, or is the proposed category the only possible home for it?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8qf0hSHtny4sZvSw0M1jqdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Edited by Country_Wife

I think it is a valid category.

Not my favorite for prevalence reasons. i could easily find several thousand dated structures just within the city limits. So I am going mainly ignore this new category just as I do with the two existing ones, but I do see there is a popular demand for it and I do know that there are areas where not almost every single house is dated, so I would certainly not stand in the way.

Thanks fi67. In the country towns that I frequent, there are just a smattering of buildings that have any kind of date on them (plaque or otherwise), with built-in (DB&C-type) dates being the most sparse, of course. If this category goes through, then I would be able to add a few buildings, but it still wouldn't be in my top 10 in terms of number of listings.

Point is that it depends on the area you live in. I can see where, in some cities, this could be like ho-hum restaurants. But in other areas (like mine), such waymarks are definitely worth visiting.

How are we coming with the Description?

Thanks for starting this, thebeav69.

I like the years engraved into the tunnel, arch etc but dated plaques are a dime a dozen & should remain in purgatory.

Interesting comment, Tuena, that you think dated plaques are a 'dime a dozen' and shouldn't be in a category.

So are you of the same opinion of the 'dime a dozen' cornerstones and dated buildings that are currently accepted in the Dated Buildings and Cornerstones category? What about the 'dime a dozen' Bridge Datestones and Plaques category?

YOU may find a dated plaque on a building as commonplace and uninteresting but I would assume other waymarkers (including myself) find them historical, informative and a highlight to a building's architecture. In fact, many of the dated plaques on buildings across the USA give hints to other categories that the buildings themselves would fall into (Civilian Conservation Corps, WPA Projects and LEED Buildings for instance).

Since you're open to accepting dated tunnels, culverts that are part of a canal or railroad, dated arches, fountains, etc., you would still be receptive to a category devoted to these, right?

I do apologise for my curtness. I've noticed that dated buildings aren't as common as you say. Some towns have a lot, others barely any. What is interesting though is their history. Even churches don't always have foundation stones as I have searched under shrubbery to no avail. Plaques on buildings though are common. Bridge date stones, although relatively common, are often out of reach especially along country roads. I see them as I go by knowing that it would be dangerous to attempt a photograph plus there is no where to park anyway.

I am interested in the year impressed into a culvert etc. but prevalence would be a problem as it is not practice to do that in this neck of the woods. I'm not aware of any Australian equivalent to Civilian Conservation Corps, WPA Projects and LEED Buildings so I doubt I could associate a plaque to another organisation.

I'll wait & see. In my early days I submitted a plaque hanging off a building in a remote valley so it may yet get a home.

Here's the category description thus far:

Dated Architectural Structures Multifarious

Thanks, BruceS, for pointing out that this category should be reserved for dated architectural structures and not of other dated objects that one may come across.

I'm going to be sending this category proposal for Officer Review in the next day or two and off all goes well, it'll be heading for Peer Review soon!

Thanks for all inputs in this forum.....

I like it. I do believe that the statement "The officers reserve the right to deny a waymark if they feel it doesn't meet the criteria for acceptance according to the category guidelines and requirements." is redundant. That is true of any category. Isn't it? Still it doesn't actually hurt anything to have it in there. Just seems a bit unnecessary is all.

Count me in.

I like it. I do believe that the statement "The officers reserve the right to deny a waymark if they feel it doesn't meet the criteria for acceptance according to the category guidelines and requirements." is redundant. That is true of any category. Isn't it? Still it doesn't actually hurt anything to have it in there. Just seems a bit unnecessary is all.

Count me in.

Exactly what I said earlier. In fact, officers can (and do) decline waymarks that DO meet the stated criteria, because some feel it's OK to add their own expectations.

It was not my intention to get off topic. I am simply expressing that officers can approve/decline whatever they want, so there's no need to state that in the category description. It's assumed that they can decline a waymark that doesn't meet the criteria.

The above mentioned statement has been removed from the category description.

Max - I'm fulfilling wishes, anything else I can do for you and 99, today? rolleyes.gif

MountainWoods - Let's not revisit the ugly past! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Edited by jhuoni

FINALLY. Officer vote has been approved and the Dated Architectural Structures Multifarious category is ready for Peer Review!

I invite all to click the category link below to read through it ONE LAST TIME for comments and suggestions before this goes to Peer Review. Thanks to all for the input up to this point...

FINALLY. Officer vote has been approved and the Dated Architectural Structures Multifarious category is ready for Peer Review!

I invite all to click the category link below to read through it ONE LAST TIME for comments and suggestions before this goes to Peer Review. Thanks to all for the input up to this point...

Looks good to me! One minor thing, the word "being" is doubled in the visiting instructions:

Any posted visits not containing a picture in the log will risk being being deleted.

There seems to be some confusion about this new category...

Plainly stated, IF a waymark exists for this location, it does not qualify for this category.

FROM THE CATEGORY DESCRIPTION:

The objective of the Dated Structures Multifarious category is to provide a place to waymark the many worldwide dated architectural structures that aren't accepted into other categories,

*NOTE* This category's aim is to provide a place for dated architectural structures that can't be waymarked into other categories. If a dated architectural structure can be waymarked into another category, PLEASE submit it there instead.

Although cross-Waymarking is popular for many categories, it is not the objective for this category.

Plainly stated, IF a waymark exists for this location, it does not qualify for this category.

The objective of the Dated Structures Multifarious category is to provide a place to waymark the many worldwide dated architectural structures that aren't accepted into other categories,

*NOTE* This category's aim is to provide a place for dated architectural structures that can't be waymarked into other categories. If a dated architectural structure can be waymarked into another category, PLEASE submit it there instead.

Although cross-Waymarking is popular for many categories, it is not the objective for this category.

It took me a couple of read-thru's before I finally got it! Good point.

I saw that and I thought that I understood it. But now that you've emphasized it, you got me thinking. Does this mean that if it can be waymarked as a Country Church or something like that ("other categories", "another category"), then it cannot be waymarked in this category? Or is it only if it cannot be put into another "dated" category. If it is the former, then I don't see when I'd ever be able to use it. So please tell me that it is the latter.

Edited by MountainWoods

Officers, can you confirm that I am understanding the category correctly:

The dated structure CAN be waymarked in the multifarious dated buildings category if it meets all other requirements and does NOT meet the requirements for the other two Dated Buildings categories. However, a structure CAN be included in the multifarious dated buildings category even though the structure itself can be waymarked in other categories besides the two mentioned previously (ex. LEED, people-named places, odd-shaped buildings).

Is this correct?

Thank you.

I just submitted one from today that is a Country Church and a Baptist Church and has the date plaque on it: Established 1858. We'll see what happens. It cannot be put into the other date-related categories, since the date is not built-into the building. But it obviously is in two other categories.

I'm expecting a decline. If the exclusion was only for the other dated categories, then I really doubt that lots of folks would have been submitting waymarks into this new category when they should go into the other dated categories. (I have a high ideal of Waymarkers' intelligence.) My guess is that the exclusion is really for any category at all. That's the only way I can think that there would have been a lot of rejections on its first day.

But yes, please clarify it for us, officers. I want to know if I'll be using the category or not! :wink:

Thanks!

I would like some clarity too. First, I like the category, it's a great idea because of the necessary limitations of the other dated structure categories. But, I'm confused because I had a submission declined today because I had submitted a plaque that had the building date on it and (probably, I don't know for sure) the plaque had been placed when the building was built. The reviewer advised me to submit to dated buildings and cornerstones instead. I did this, but I expect a decline there because it's a plaque that isn't integral to the structure. The reason I submitted it here first was that it seemed to fit exactly an example given here and this description from the first post in this thread: "Whenever I try to submit a dated plaque on a building into the Dated Buildings and Cornerstones category, it gets denied because it's a plaque, even though it may have been placed when the building was erected." So if Cornerstones rejects my submission, is that what qualifies my waymark for this category? Seems to me that means extra work for the Cornerstones people.

This isn't a complaint, I'm just puzzled like others. I think the category is a great idea.

The recently approved category has created a firestorm of submissions that have been denied for various reasons. Originally, this category's intent was to provide a home for dated structures (most likely a dated plaque on a building) that couldn't be submitted into the Dated Buildings and Cornerstones category nor the Bridge Date Stones and Plaques category. The confusion that has come up in the Forum and via e-mail is... Do we reject submissions that can be waymarked in ANY other category or do we only reject submissions that can be waymarked into the Dated Buildings and Cornerstones category and the Bridge Date Stones and Plaques category? After giving it some thought, I'm leaning towards the latter. Why should we reject a dated plaque in front of a building that could ALSO be waymarked as a Library, National Register of Historic Place, LEER building or any other category that a structure could fall into? It's the dated plaque we're focusing on, not the whole building itself. For this reason, I'll reword the category description to convey this point and hopefully clear up some confusion on this matter. Max and 99's post in the forum made a valid point and made me realize that we may be rejecting submissions that still have a viable place in this new category. Yes, it strays away from the original objective of not wanting to cross-waymark the same structure in mulptiple categories, but at the same time, it allows dated plaques in particular to have a place to call 'home'. All officers should abide by this category change/update when approving submissions.

Cheers,

Doug

thebeav69

Thanks, thebeav69. When I went back and carefully looked at the wording, I realized that it did look like the new category was mutually exclusive with all other categories. I'm not a lawyer, and I didn't realize where the category was going when it went through peer review.

However, I do feel that there was a bit of misrepresentation along the way; which, if the group decides to go the way that you are leaning, will lesson the tensions around this misrepresentation (real or perceived).

What I mean is, in the forum discussions leading up to the categories submission and review, the posts did not emphasize, indeed, may not have even mentioned, that the intent was that the new category would be mutually exclusive with all other categories. The discussion posts all emphasized the logical mutual exclusion of Waymarks between other dated categories and the new category.

Yes, the initial description allows the officers to exclude waymarks that can be listed in any other category. I'll admit that freely. But it seems odd that the forum posts leading up to its acceptance were "noticeably silent" on the matter of any other category versus just the dated categories. It's as if the forum posts simply steered away from the matter, until it was too late.

Frankly, if I'd have realized that this new category disallows cross-posting from any other category, rather than just dated categories, I would not have voted for it.

The concept of disallowing cross postings from other dated categories makes complete sense to me. We were told that the whole point of the category was to be able to Waymark dated structures that couldn't be in those other date-related categories. But the concept of disallowing cross postings from any category is contrary to the Waymarking "norm"; remembering that different folks deliberately search for specific categories and/or ignore certain categories.

For example: If one wanted to make a history tour of an area, it is unfortunate enough that they would have to do a search for all 3 date-related categories and merge the results together. We cannot do anything about that at this stage of the game. However, it would be more unfortunate if their attempt at doing a history tour of an area involved searching all 3 date-related categories PLUS libraries PLUS Country Churches PLUS City Halls PLUS Former Schools PLUS ...... (I think you get the idea) just to be able to find all of the structures that have historic dates on them.

Thank you for giving this more consideration. I'm really hoping that this category does not become an aberration with regard to cross-posting from reasonable categories (i.e. any non-date-related category).

I just submitted one from today that is a Country Church and a Baptist Church and has the date plaque on it: Established 1858. We'll see what happens. It cannot be put into the other date-related categories, since the date is not built-into the building. But it obviously is in two other categories.

I'm expecting a decline. If the exclusion was only for the other dated categories, then I really doubt that lots of folks would have been submitting waymarks into this new category when they should go into the other dated categories. (I have a high ideal of Waymarkers' intelligence.) My guess is that the exclusion is really for any category at all. That's the only way I can think that there would have been a lot of rejections on its first day.

But yes, please clarify it for us, officers. I want to know if I'll be using the category or not! :wink:

Thanks!

I'm deliberately quoting myself so y'all will know what I'm referring to. My waymark was just approved. So apparently it is OK if a dated structure can also be cross posted to a non-date category. This is a relief.