Testing a Cartridge

ChrisDen

I am a newcomer to the world of building Wherigo cartridges.

I have done one using the kit and then doing the final editing and changes in the Wherigo builder. I tested the final product in the emulator and then using the iOS Wherigo App. All with no issues.

I have now had someone run the cartridge on a Nokia using a Symbian player. The cartridge bombs and the user cannot even find the first zone (all communicated to me via email). The user has done numerous cartridges and has programmed some himself so I do not think there is finger trouble on his side.

Is there any way to test a cartridge on the different platforms prior to release? Is there a better way to build the cartridge other than the Builder?

On reading the forum I think the issue could be that I am using the OnEnter - rather than Proximity. Looks like that is the issue. dry.gif

Sounds strange but hard to tell without having a look at the cartridge. OnEnter should be a safe trigger to use. It has the re-triggering issue that you might have found in the forum. However if proximity does the trick for you ... cool ;-)

General help: test for re-triggering issues in the emulator by moving your player in and out of a zone repeatedly (small distance moves are good enough). Watch what happens to your cartridge if you do this.

I usually run my own carts before putting it out there so I get a firsthand experience of any issues that pop up. As to builder choice, I prefer Urwigo to make any modifications (if there are any to make). I can say that I've never used Earigo and I know people that swear by that builder as well. I think it comes down to which one you got most comfortable with first. Kind of like which brand/type of GPSr you use.

So far there has been no problem with people using the iOS and Android app. Just one user with an old Nokia with a symbian OS.

Interesting that user had no problem with another cartridge that is almost identical in setup. Maybe I should meet him on location and see what his issue is.