First intercache published!

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4Z1VA_ross-bay-cemetery-tour?guid=3c2f8bb6-f55a-4b4e-a914-62bda0cd3899

My first intercache has been published. It is my first and also the first intercache for our city.

It's worked out beautifully for everyone who's done it so far.

I don't know what other people are using intercaches for, but for me, it seems to be perfectly suited to a tour. The one I did was for a cemetery tour. There are 15 graves and you answer questions at each grave. I know someone else who did one of a mural tour.

Of course, it would have been possible to do this all as a multicache where you have to take pencil + paper, write down information from each grave, then do some math to calculate the final coordinates...but it's so much nicer to do as an intercache. It just takes you from location to location, giving you information and asking you questions, and finally takes you to the geocache where you sign the logbook. For mine, I set it up so each stage is easy to find as I have a photo of each grave on each navigation screen.

It got me thinking of the future possibilities for geocaching using new + emerging technology....I will start a new thread on this...

I have very limited experience with Wherigo. I've only done 1 Wherigo myself, it was on my Garmin Oregon. It was a virtual maze. It worked fine. I tried to make my own Wherigo, though, and was completely frustrated by it. Even though I have alot of experience programming, I gave up.

The intercache is done through your smartphone's browser and much easier to create. You don't need to write any code. You don't even have to manually enter the coordinates. You can just stand at the location, click a button and it captures the location for you. Everything is pretty intuitive.

Hopefully someone else can provide a more detailed comparison of the 2 technologies.

http://www.intercaching.com/intercache/index.php

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I have very limited experience with Wherigo. I've only done 1 Wherigo myself, it was on my Garmin Oregon. It was a virtual maze. It worked fine. I tried to make my own Wherigo, though, and was completely frustrated by it. Even though I have alot of experience programming, I gave up.

The intercache is done through your smartphone's browser and much easier to create. You don't need to write any code. You don't even have to manually enter the coordinates. You can just stand at the location, click a button and it captures the location for you. Everything is pretty intuitive.

Hopefully someone else can provide a more detailed comparison of the 2 technologies.

http://www.intercaching.com/intercache/index.php

Sounds very interesting, thanks for that explanation, makes sense! :)

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4Z1VA_ross-bay-cemetery-tour?guid=3c2f8bb6-f55a-4b4e-a914-62bda0cd3899

It got me thinking of the future possibilities for geocaching using new + emerging technology....I will start a new thread on this...

I loved the old geocaching where all you needed was a GPS unit and a computer to log your finds online. I do find your geocache interesting, but I am left out of the game now without a smartphone. :( I did see a recent survey on the blog site, new members almost out number the veteran geocachers. Will they keep the flame alive or burn out quickly? :unsure:

They are both similar, but it sounded like Intercaches were much less buggy and easy to use with the current GPS and phone technology. Wherigos now seem to run better on android devices as opposed to Oregons and Colorados, at least for the newer ones. Seeing them work less and less on my Oregon 450 sadly.

I can't recall where I saw the Intercaches discussed more in detail.

I loved the old geocaching where all you needed was a GPS unit and a computer to log your finds online. I do find your geocache interesting, but I am left out of the game now without a smartphone. :( I did see a recent survey on the blog site, new members almost out number the veteran geocachers. Will they keep the flame alive or burn out quickly? :unsure:

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get a smartphone until last summer and, even then, it was only because my sister-in-law bought it for us. I think it's great. Didn't realize how useful it was until we got one. Not just for geocaching, but for many other things.

I've got plans for more geocaches which require a smartphone. For instance, I have been wanting to do a choose-your-own-adventure cache. With my programming skills, I can do something similar to intercaching, i.e. having it run through people's smartphone browsers. Should be alot of fun. Have also thought of having a cache where you only go to 1 location, but must answer a series of riddles in order to be given the code to unlock the cache. The sky's the limit!

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get a smartphone until last summer and, even then, it was only because my sister-in-law bought it for us. I think it's great. Didn't realize how useful it was until we got one. Not just for geocaching, but for many other things.

I don't have a smart phone, and don't think I will ever get one.

I too, like the old style, and all you need is a GPS. But I find there is room for everyone here. I don't have to find every kind of cache, don't have to look for every kind. Just seek what I like and let other fly off in other directions if that's what floats their boat. B):D

I too, like the old style, and all you need is a GPS. But I find there is room for everyone here. I don't have to find every kind of cache, don't have to look for every kind. Just seek what I like and let other fly off in other directions if that's what floats their boat. B):D

That's a good attitude to have and one which I personally share. Although I'm willing to bet you'll be smartphone-toting in less than 5 years. :D

I've got plans for more geocaches which require a smartphone. For instance, I have been wanting to do a choose-your-own-adventure cache. With my programming skills, I can do something similar to intercaching, i.e. having it run through people's smartphone browsers. Should be alot of fun. Have also thought of having a cache where you only go to 1 location, but must answer a series of riddles in order to be given the code to unlock the cache. The sky's the limit!

Interesting how you see all sorts of new possibilities with the intercaching interface (or other browser interface). I see it slightly differently, where the new technology allows for a different way to execute ideas, with different pros and cons. For example, I have a choose-your-own-adventure multi-cache with nearly a dozen stages. You don't need inter-caching or Wherigo to execute this idea, but doing so removes the somewhat burdensome task of maintaining a load of physical stages. My multi-cache has been out over two years, and has needed some maintenance (as any cache does) but not anything I would consider out of the ordinary. In fact, I'm pretty pleased with how it's held up. How well will the intercache interface hold-up to technology changes? I have seen more than one puzzle-cache that relied on websites/3rd party something that ended up getting archived when those sites dies out. I'm not much of a IT guy, but are you concerned at all about the viability of the intercaching site to host your cache? Or is that thinking too far ahead (do people wonder about long-term viability of their caches anymore)? So the PRO for using intercache methods is reducing your cache maintenance load, but increasing your reliance on a different technology, which will require some kind of maintenance that is somewhat beyond your control (whoever controls the software for that site?). Just some passing thoughts. I do not own a smart phone... yet. I've been mulling getting one though... I would definitely go for someone's intercache/Wherigo if I had the means. I just don't see that you need those kind of technologies to execute grand ideas like the ones you mentioned.

Something like that could be pretty easily achieved with some php, the sky is the limit, and in fact, could even be incorporated into the cache page (although it's a bit clunky and limited if you do that).

I'm not much of a IT guy, but are you concerned at all about the viability of the intercaching site to host your cache? Or is that thinking too far ahead (do people wonder about long-term viability of their caches anymore)?

Sometimes it's a leap of faith. I have a few puzzle caches that rely on technology hosted elsewhere, although in my case it's my own hosting so it's down to me to keep paying the bills! ;)

Interesting how you see all sorts of new possibilities with the intercaching interface (or other browser interface). I see it slightly differently, where the new technology allows for a different way to execute ideas, with different pros and cons. For example, I have a choose-your-own-adventure multi-cache with nearly a dozen stages. You don't need inter-caching or Wherigo to execute this idea, but doing so removes the somewhat burdensome task of maintaining a load of physical stages. My multi-cache has been out over two years, and has needed some maintenance (as any cache does) but not anything I would consider out of the ordinary. In fact, I'm pretty pleased with how it's held up. How well will the intercache interface hold-up to technology changes? I have seen more than one puzzle-cache that relied on websites/3rd party something that ended up getting archived when those sites dies out. I'm not much of a IT guy, but are you concerned at all about the viability of the intercaching site to host your cache? Or is that thinking too far ahead (do people wonder about long-term viability of their caches anymore)? So the PRO for using intercache methods is reducing your cache maintenance load, but increasing your reliance on a different technology, which will require some kind of maintenance that is somewhat beyond your control (whoever controls the software for that site?). Just some passing thoughts. I do not own a smart phone... yet. I've been mulling getting one though... I would definitely go for someone's intercache/Wherigo if I had the means. I just don't see that you need those kind of technologies to execute grand ideas like the ones you mentioned.

Let me clarify 1 thing. I was not planning to use intercaching.com to create a choose-your-own-adventure or the other idea I mentioned. I was planning on making it myself with javascript. It's fairly easy for someone with my experience.

I agree. You don't NEED these technologies to have these types of geocaches. However, they can make life easier and more fun. For instance, I could have a little forest gnome that talks to you and asks you riddles at each location. Or have a monster appear on the screen or have a field puzzle that beeps out the next location with morse code. :P

I had thought before about doing a choose-your-adventure-cache. The main thing that was holding me back was the maintenance of all the physical stages. Having created my first intercache, it occurred to me that I could do exactly what I wanted, but with all the hassle since all the stages except the final would be virtual.

To answer your question, no, I am not concerned about how long intercaching will last. I'm going to assume it will last at least a few years, which is long enough for my cache. If, however, intercaching was going to shut down, it wouldn't take too long for me to copy-and-paste the info from my tour and put it into whatever new technology had come along.

I'm quite happy for you and those who enjoy geocaching with a smartphone. However I enjoy a good geocaching experience where no phones are welcome. Geocaching gets me outdoors and takes me places. B)

Alamogul just put one out and we were the first to show up to it along with another couple of cachers. One thing we experienced or at least one cacher in the group, is while playing it, he got a phone call and when he answered it, it kicked him out of the program and he had to start all over again. It wouldn't resume the game. So a tip.....Don't answer the phone if you are doing one!

Alamogul just put one out and we were the first to show up to it along with another couple of cachers. One thing we experienced or at least one cacher in the group, is while playing it, he got a phone call and when he answered it, it kicked him out of the program and he had to start all over again. It wouldn't resume the game. So a tip.....Don't answer the phone if you are doing one!

Ouch! It could annoying to have to start all over again if it's a long intercache.

I had a cacher ask me whether it was possible to save her progress so she could do the cache in parts.

I posted the question on the intercaching Facebook page and looks like it might be possible to bookmark your location and resume later. Will have to do some testing and also hopefully get an official word from the developer.

I'm quite happy for you and those who enjoy geocaching with a smartphone. However I enjoy a good geocaching experience where no phones are welcome. Geocaching gets me outdoors and takes me places. B)

Can you clarify? Do you mean that you don't want to receive phone calls or have access to internet? Or perhaps you like to go to areas where there is no radiation from cell-phone towers? It can't be that you want to get away from technology all-together as you are bringing your GPS with you. Just a different piece of technology, but still technology.

Something like that could be pretty easily achieved with some php, the sky is the limit, and in fact, could even be incorporated into the cache page (although it's a bit clunky and limited if you do that).

What a fascinating, clever idea for a puzzle. It will take me a bit of time to figure out how you did it. Wow! :blink:

Can you clarify? Do you mean that you don't want to receive phone calls or have access to internet? Or perhaps you like to go to areas where there is no radiation from cell-phone towers? It can't be that you want to get away from technology all-together as you are bringing your GPS with you. Just a different piece of technology, but still technology.

I'm not Manville Possum Hunters, but in some way I feel similarly. I still recall vividly the first Wherigo I did (and the only typical one of three) and where I joined a group. Even though I did not have to look at a tiny screen all the time (because my GPS-r cannot work with Wherigos anyway), it somehow felt like distracting from the nature, the walk etc.

When I do a multicache, I use the GPS-receiver only for navigating when necessary (but even here I prefer if most of the time I just can follow trail markings, way descriptions etc and do not need to look at the GPS-receiver constantly). For reading the questions and all other stuff I use printouts which I only take out at the stages when needed.

If one constantly needs to look at a display and need to type in things frequently, the experience gets annoying to me and it feels like work where I use a computer many hours per day.

From time to time I have cached with cachers who used a smartphone or a GPS-r which displays cache descriptions and when we ended up in a debate about a question, I sometimes asked them to show me the text of a log or whatever and I all the time find it extremely hard to read on these displays. That's nothing for my bad vision and the older I get, the more troubles arise.

I'm aware that a lot of cachers are like you and think that it is more fun if interactive elements are involved and who prefer using electronic devices to paper, but for me it is the other way round. I also prefer paper maps out in the field and orienteering caches where one uses an orienteering map to find the stages and the GPS-receiver only in the very end to locate the final belong to my personal favourites.

Apart from the above, I do not want to handle a second device apart from the GPS-receiver and I would not want to use a smartphone for caching outside of an urban setting because I tend to drop things, get them dirty etc and that's not the best thing to do for a device with a touchscreen. It works fine for many, but nor for me. I need very robust devices for caching.

And another issue is that I typically have switched off my mobile phone when caching and using a smartphone for caching would mean to use two phones or to be reachable all the time which I do not want to be.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I own some "tour" style multis and love the genre, but the paperwork involved dissuades many cachers. Wherigos and Intercaches provide for paper-free tour multis as well as more complicated implementations that would be impossible without such technology.

I don't want to recieve phone calls, and I have no use to access the internet when I am out for a walk in the woods. I do keep my trac phone with me, but you will have to be understanding that our area does not have cell service in all places. I have a different service provider than my son uses, and my cheap little trac phone works in many areas where his iPhone does not.

Simply put, geocaching is my way of taking a break. :)

Still, we have a new cache type that can only be found if one has a smartphone. These caches should have their own cache type, (new icon), or a required attribute so those of us that can't, or won't do them can filter them out of our PQ's.

That's a good attitude to have and one which I personally share. Although I'm willing to bet you'll be smartphone-toting in less than 5 years. :D

Give me your credit card #, I'll get one tomorrow.

I've been looking at doing an intercache for a while now - I really like making technology based caches and intercache appeals to me in a number of ways :)

I'd quite like to make some sort of adventure game style intercache. I'm not sure what level of complexity could be achieved with the platform i.e. characters / objects / specific paths, routes or event sequences - but I'm keen to find out.

Wherigo is certainly capable of the sort of complexity referenced above - and a whole lot more besides, especially for competent/experienced programmers (which I'm not) with its ability to leverage LUA code - but that does make it a steeper learning curve, even if using some of the excellent online cartridge builders that have sprung up.

From my own experience of building and owning a Wherigo - as well as a few other caches based on various technology tools - I will always expect fewer finders on those caches - even when the required tools become fairly mainstream - but I can virtually guarantee logs that I love to read and a higher ratio of Favourite Points on those caches too.

I have 4 Wherigos (one done with Urwigo and the other three done with Wherigo//Kit) and have an Intercache submitted for publication in the next couple of days and three more in the series in various stages of progress.

When playing both, they're extremely similar. Wherigo allows the creator to have quite a bit more variables to toss into the equation - time, character interactions, objects to carry and drop off, etc.. Intercaching pretty much is tour related with a question you can toss in there for the person to answer. Objects can be picked up but nothing (right now) can be done with them, only kept in your inventory and also be a needed item to open up the next destination. Other than that, there really isn't much difference in playing them.

When creating them, however, you see the difference. Wherigos (regardless of the builder) are all done on the computer with varying degrees of difficulty. It took me quite some time to get comfortable on Urwigo to write my first one but finally I did. Wherigo//Kit is pretty easy but somewhat limited in what it can do. Not having experience with either the "official" builder or Earwigo, I can't speak to the learning curve for either of those. They just take longer to learn how to do. Once you do though, it's quick work to get one done the second time around.

The Intercache can be done entirely on a smartphone with very little learning curve. I prefer to do the legwork on the phone and then edit the Intercache on the computer. I get the location using my phone's GPS location with my browser and I get the picture of the item at GZ as well as fast as my phone can process the picture and upload it to the site. I write some basic script in each area, save it, and then head home to polish it up on the computer. Each step is fast and quick, with pictures and text taking just a bit longer to put into the Intercache. The coords are saved with a click of the tab on the page.

When an Intercache is published in our area, the special tool attribute is supposed to be tagged and each description mentions the use of a smartphone and the subsequent data plan that it will be using.

I've done only one near me (a cemetery tour) and didn't need to be looking at my phone the entire time. I looked at it when I got the new zone info and the direction and distance, and then only looked at it again when I thought I was getting close to my destination.

The drawback to the Intercache is that it IS phone based, meaning that if you don't have good service, it won't work well. I started out in 3G and it was a slow load but after the third stage I was back in 4G and it was a much quicker load from page to page.

I haven't done it on mine, but I think you can set up zones in a non-linear format some way but I just haven't had the time to play around with it enough. There's also a time related addition the creator is planning on adding to the functions of an Intercache. As of right now, the interaction with characters and objects is non-existent other than to pick it up and add it to your inventory. You can make the object or character a required item to open up a zone, as well as other zones needing to be visited in order to open up a specific zone. The questions need to have a rather simple answer as the person answering your question needs to match it letter for letter and word for word- capitalization doesn't matter as far as I can tell, only spelling. I had one answer as "bus depot" and bus station or some other variation or misspelling of the word created a wrong answer.

Still, we have a new cache type that can only be found if one has a smartphone. These caches should have their own cache type, (new icon), or a required attribute so those of us that can't, or won't do them can filter them out of our PQ's.

I agree. We need a new icon to use for PQ's if a smartphone is required. It is a new cache type, so it needs a new icon. :anibad:

FWIW, I think it was a mistake to give Wherigo caches their own type. I think the beacon attribute introduced when Garmin released their chirp system was a better approach. If a more generic type (or attribute) had been created when Wherigo was introduced, then similar technologies like Intercaches could have used the same type (or attribute).

Unless something changes in the next 5 Years, I would take that bet. There is nothing I need to do with a smart phone I can't do with my other devices. I just don't have any need to spend more money on something I don't need.

I will admit I've considered buying a new Kindle with the 3G, (or 4G?), but that isn't a phone. My phone takes pictures and makes/receives phone calls, I cannot imagine why or when I would need more than that. ;)

Unless something changes in the next 5 Years, I would take that bet. There is nothing I need to do with a smart phone I can't do with my other devices. I just don't have any need to spend more money on something I don't need.

You're assuming there will still be non-smartphones in 5 years time... ;)

But I do get your point. I held on to my little metal Ericsson phone from the mid 90's for as long as I could. I think I got 7 years out of it before I succumbed to the desire to be able to txt! That thing was bullet proof - it flew off the roof of the car, it got run over, you name it, it kept on going...

Edit - oops heading wildly off topic, sorry!

Edited by funkymunkyzone

Glad it's worked out!

For instance, I have been wanting to do a choose-your-own-adventure cache. With my programming skills, I can do something similar to intercaching, i.e. having it run through people's smartphone browsers. Should be alot of fun. Have also thought of having a cache where you only go to 1 location, but must answer a series of riddles in order to be given the code to unlock the cache. The sky's the limit!

You can do this with an intercache too. You can connect locations in any arbitrary manner, make locations visible only if you have picked up virtual items in your inventory, or make locations visible only if you have visited other locations.

That must be a phone or browser oddity. I've left and come back again, as the session should stay for at least 60 minutes, but it might depend on the browser/os/version.

I had a cacher ask me whether it was possible to save her progress so she could do the cache in parts.

I posted the question on the intercaching Facebook page and looks like it might be possible to bookmark your location and resume later. Will have to do some testing and also hopefully get an official word from the developer.

Progress can only be saved, currently, for about 60 minutes. However, you can set it up to require keywords at different stages, so after finishing part of it you could issue a keyword that is required if you want to start "in the middle".

I'd quite like to make some sort of adventure game style intercache. I'm not sure what level of complexity could be achieved with the platform i.e. characters / objects / specific paths, routes or event sequences - but I'm keen to find out.

You can probably do most, but not all, of what you want to do. You don't have as much control as a Wherigo, but it's generally easier to set up.

However, you can set it up to require keywords at different stages, so after finishing part of it you could issue a keyword that is required if you want to start "in the middle".

That sounds like a really good way of making "save points" through the game. No matter what happens, you can always go back and start again from the last save point encountered. It means you could even have paths that due to poor choice, will not end up at the cache, and the cacher has to go back to their save point and try a different path.

You can probably do most, but not all, of what you want to do. You don't have as much control as a Wherigo, but it's generally easier to set up.

Sounds like so long as you can tie different event sequences/etc to different locations that become or do not become active then pretty much all of that would be possible. My interest has been seriously piqued! :)

You're assuming there will still be non-smartphones in 5 years time... ;)

But I do get your point. I held on to my little metal Ericsson phone from the mid 90's for as long as I could. I think I got 7 years out of it before I succumbed to the desire to be able to txt! That thing was bullet proof - it flew off the roof of the car, it got run over, you name it, it kept on going...

Edit - oops heading wildly off topic, sorry!

If there were no non-smart phones, and the smart phones still cost what they do, I will not have a cell phone. I often toy with the idea of getting rid of my cell phone now. As for texting, everyone knows not to text me, I will not read or answer a text. If you want to talk to me call me. If you want to text e-mail me. :blink:

Glad it's worked out!

For instance, I have been wanting to do a choose-your-own-adventure cache. With my programming skills, I can do something similar to intercaching, i.e. having it run through people's smartphone browsers. Should be alot of fun. Have also thought of having a cache where you only go to 1 location, but must answer a series of riddles in order to be given the code to unlock the cache. The sky's the limit!

You can do this with an intercache too. You can connect locations in any arbitrary manner, make locations visible only if you have picked up virtual items in your inventory, or make locations visible only if you have visited other locations.

Excellent. You're so right, it would work. :D It might be a good addition to the main page at intercaching.com to list some examples of how intercaching can be used or maybe have some examples setup where you can run through the stages without your location being checked. I've tried running other people's intercaches, but of course, if you're not at the location, you can't get past the 1st step.

(although it's a bit clunky and limited if you do that).

I love that - very cool B)

I've only ever seen one cache in the UK that leveraged PHP - and it was clever - but not as detailed as what you've done there.

I'm quite jealous :o

(Plots to return to studying PHP again and coming up with something novel)

Looks like it's a competitive game with others?

I have something similar, a battleship game. You have to beat the previous high score before you get coordinates revealed. The high score resets after 7 days, so you always have chance:

Battleship

Wherigos now seem to run better on android devices as opposed to Oregons and Colorados, at least for the newer ones. Seeing them work less and less on my Oregon 450 sadly.

I upgraded to an Oregon 400t in 2009, one of the reasons was to take advantage of Wherigos. (Another was the advantage of touchscreen and paperless caching.) It didn't work well on Wherigos even then -- most of them required more memory than the Oregon could deliver.

I've had much more success with my smartphone and the WhereYouGo app. But I haven't hunted one in a while, the wife is not a fan. Probably because of the issues we had with GPS reception while hunting the one near the Alamo in San Antonio -- got stuck wandering in traffic trying to get one of the zones to kick in, and we had to call it off.

Wherigos now seem to run better on android devices as opposed to Oregons and Colorados, at least for the newer ones. Seeing them work less and less on my Oregon 450 sadly.

I upgraded to an Oregon 400t in 2009, one of the reasons was to take advantage of Wherigos. (Another was the advantage of touchscreen and paperless caching.) It didn't work well on Wherigos even then -- most of them required more memory than the Oregon could deliver.

I've had much more success with my smartphone and the WhereYouGo app. But I haven't hunted one in a while, the wife is not a fan. Probably because of the issues we had with GPS reception while hunting the one near the Alamo in San Antonio -- got stuck wandering in traffic trying to get one of the zones to kick in, and we had to call it off.

I did that one with WhereYouGo and had no issues so if you get the chance, go back and try. I enjoyed the one on the River Walk more though. The Garmin units are really picky and any small item would throw them off. I do know that Ranger Fox's Wherigo//Kit works well because he limits the characters and other things that might throw the Garmin units for a loop.

I will have to look into this idea as an alternative to Werigo... once I figure out the ins and outs of it. I am glad to see that it can not be done from a home comp and takes your actual location into account. I did follow the link and try to go though it from my comp, it would not let me go past the first grave since I was not at the site. My only real question is at the end of this, is there a container to find or is it just a virtual tour of the area you decide on?

I will have to look into this idea as an alternative to Werigo... once I figure out the ins and outs of it. I am glad to see that it can not be done from a home comp and takes your actual location into account. I did follow the link and try to go though it from my comp, it would not let me go past the first grave since I was not at the site. My only real question is at the end of this, is there a container to find or is it just a virtual tour of the area you decide on?

There should always be a container ... that's one of the requirements for all geocaches (virtuals and earthcaches excepted.)

There should always be a container ... that's one of the requirements for all geocaches (virtuals and earthcaches excepted.)

Thats what I would assume, but seeing as this is brand new and i dont know alot about it, I have to ask. For all I know this could be the new version of viruals and no container needed.