two way radio recommendation

I am looking to buy two way radio's for me and my caching partner. We are going to a mega event soon and would like a way to contact each other in case of emergency or for boredom sake while competing in individual events. Would like cost to stay under $50 ea. so $100 total. (not sure if they sell these in packs or individually)

only requirement would be FRS/GMRS dual band. am looking for ones with a good amount of features and good range. I am thinking some people here probably use or at least own two way radios and have knowledge that will help me make a good buy. thanks for any help, i really appreciate it.

I am looking to buy two way radio's for me and my caching partner. We are going to a mega event soon and would like a way to contact each other in case of emergency or for boredom sake while competing in individual events. Would like cost to stay under $50 ea. so $100 total. (not sure if they sell these in packs or individually)

only requirement would be FRS/GMRS dual band. am looking for ones with a good amount of features and good range. I am thinking some people here probably use or at least own two way radios and have knowledge that will help me make a good buy. thanks for any help, i really appreciate it.

Radios are my hobby.

Walmart has radios from around $24 http://www.walmart.com/ip/UNIDEN-GMR1635-16-MILE-RANGE-2-WAY-FRS-GMRS-RADIOS/34205251

all the way up to this 3 pack at $77 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorola-MH230TPR-Triple-Pack-MH230R-Rechargeable-two-way-radios/17218560

They are all good radios. The range quoted is on flat ground with line of sight views so it drops off around a lot of buildings, trees, hills and valleys. I wouldn't try to use these for over 2 miles at best, probably less than that.

I like and highly recommend this pair of radios, http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MT350R-FRS-Weatherproof-Two-Way/dp/B0072LAAA0/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

They are orange so they're easy to find in the woods if you drop them, they have a volume knob instead of up and down buttons, a loud radio in the middle of a presentation can quickly be remedied with a nice volume knob, they come with rechargeable battery packs but you can also throw in 3 regular AA batteries, always a plus, battery packs wear out after 3 or 4 years anyway, and they have a place to clip a carabiner.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT FRS/GMRS RADIOS!!!!!!! In order to use GMRS frequencies you must have a GMRS license issued by the FCC http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

The channels are broken down like this, 1-7 are shared FRS/GMRS, 8-14 are FRS only, and 15-22 are GMRS only. Without that license you can only transmit on 1-14, but there is a catch. Some radios talk about a power boost. Power boost only works on 1-7, and 15-22, and you can only use it if you have a GMRS license. The base fine for operating a radio with proper licenseing is $10,000. Now I can't find any instance of somebody being fined for using the GMRS frequencies. You probably will be ok if you use them. Most people out there use all the channels and probably didn't read the manual or just don't care. There have been a few businesses that have been fined. FRS/GMRS is for individual use only, no businesses allowed.

So, there you have it, http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MT350R-FRS-Weatherproof-Two-Way/dp/B0072LAAA0/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

It even has a built in flashlight, how could you go wrong?

thanks for the suggestions, will keep everything in mind. We will be caching in a state park for the events and cell phone service may or may not work. also in the case of an emergency we would like the second option of communication. (iphone may just break in a tumble)

any additional recommendations would be appreciated.

I know someone who went to a several days long event with many people. He said that FRS was a big crowded mess, but he equiped his family with MURS radios. They were the only ones on MURS. Other advantages include the ability to connect to an antenna on top of car for greater range while driving and 2 watts power vs 0.5 watt on FRS. The VHF signal can work better than UHF in many outdoor locations.. Only 5 frequencies, but that seems to be all you needed. Radios range fron new small ones to used Motorola business band ones programmed for the MURS channels.

If you got a HAM licence try the Baofeng UV-5R. Costs $40 shipped, 2m and 70cm, 5W power. Best deal ever.

If you got no licence its illegal + you might have a hard time using it since its a full blown rig with tons of setting.

sku_151653_3.jpg

Edited by Cesco1