GC user names for my kids

lel_h

As I was out caching with my two kids (both under 10 years old), it dawned on me that they're not getting "credit" for the caches that we find together. They are both very into the sport; there have been times when they've practically dragged me out the door to look for GCs. On more than one occasion, it has been one of the kids who made the find - in fact, my son spied our very first find. In other cases, I've given them a puzzle cache that I had solved, and with a little guidance they've been able to come up with the coordinates on their own.

I saw in other threads that it's okay for kids to have their own user accounts (I saw one person who said that they created an account for his/her two-year-old child). I'd like to do the same, because I can imagine that they might continue doing this once they've left the nest.

My question is this: in the two months since we started geocaching, we've found a couple dozen together. If we create user names for them, is it okay to backdate the finds that we made together? I understand that backdating finds itself is okay (someone mentioned not recording logs online for over a year), but is it okay to backdate the found/not found logs to before the date that user name was created? And do we need to ask permission of the CO to do this backdating (I think the answer to the question is probably not, but we should probably include something like "found with lel_h" in the new log entry)?

I've already given my kids rules for logging. They have to record DNFs as well as "found its". If they weren't with me, they don't get to log it. If it was a complicated kablooey puzzle cache that I solved and we pick it up together (hasn't happened yet; may not ever happen), they can't log it because they didn't solve it on their own.

Sorry for the long post. Feel free to tell me to lay off the verbosity. My primary question is somewhere buried in the third paragraph.

Thanks!

So as you've heard, it's fine, no need to ask permission or anything. I'm particularly impressed that you get the backdating part of it, since lots of people overlook that wrinkle.

But whenever anyone asks a question like this, I always point out that it's not really that big of a deal if you don't "give them credit" for the previously found caches. Instead, they could just continue from here as ground zero, perhaps in some cases physically going back to caches you previously found as a team to sign the log with their new, individual identities. I went caching a few times with my sister before I finally signed up for myself, and it just didn't make sense to me to backdate logs on the caches I found as a member of her team before I had an account in order to claim them as finds under my own new name.

If it was a complicated kablooey puzzle cache that I solved and we pick it up together (hasn't happened yet; may not ever happen), they can't log it because they didn't solve it on their own.

The only thing I would add is try to work together on solving the puzzles; even if you already have the answer, guide them in getting it also. Many people log finds on puzzles that their friends have solved and they just go along for the find. If it is one of my puzzles, I would like to see the kiddos get the Find also.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. We'll create their identities soon, before it becomes too cumbersome to keep track of their finds. I will encourage them to write more than "TFTC" though my 7-year-old will still need to grow into logging a bit. A couple friends of theirs also geocache, so it will be fun for them to compare notes. I've told them not to be concerned about the number of finds; it's the family time that matters most!

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. We'll create their identities soon, before it becomes too cumbersome to keep track of their finds. I will encourage them to write more than "TFTC" though my 7-year-old will still need to grow into logging a bit. A couple friends of theirs also geocache, so it will be fun for them to compare notes. I've told them not to be concerned about the number of finds; it's the family time that matters most!

Downside is, GS now no longer allow the same email account for more than one account...

You may have to set up a new account for them, and either have access to it yourself, of if they have their own account, set it so emails from GS are forwarded to you.

(Probably easier to have control of it yourself!)

Yes, I created accounts for my kids as well, and rather than backdating logs, when we are out and find one, we just log it. If I've already found it they get the find and I get to enjoy watching them, even guiding them to it but not telling them where it is. My 3 year old is getting into caching, I may make him his own account if he continues to show an interest.

I went through this, backdated a few for OS Junior in late 2012. He's now on 570 or so in 6 countries - we go caching together every Saturday and Sunday. I'm writing his logs as he's not yet 5, but often ask him what he liked / remembered about the day's caches and include that - along with a special mention for any he finds before I do, and there have been a few dozen of those! The email address for his a/c is my work one but if I change job I'll use a gmail a/c or some such.

Great to get children involved - particularly useful for retrieving low-down caches, too! We were in Hamburg recently where 4 or 5 in a row were under benches / teleescope platforms etc. Just told Junior "have a look under there" and he'd run ahead and find the treasure before we'd got there.

Great to get children involved - particularly useful for retrieving low-down caches, too! We were in Hamburg recently where 4 or 5 in a row were under benches / teleescope platforms etc. Just told Junior "have a look under there" and he'd run ahead and find the treasure before we'd got there.

For us, the kids are a critical component of our geocaching. If I were to crawl around in the bushes or climb up street signs to retrieve a camouflaged container, I would appear strange at best and criminal :) at worst. On the other hand, the kids can do all that without getting a second look. There have been at least 2 caches that I can think of that would have not been retrieved without my little cache monkeys!