Long-past events still listed...

I suspect it is one of

- The owner isn't aware of the guideline

They deleted a past note I left on the event pointing the guideline out, so that wouldn't be it...
- The owner forgot
Easily done. But then a polite note suggesting it gets cleared off got cleared off, so I can't see that being the reason.
And no reviewer has done a "sweep" to notice it, and nobody has raised it as an issue (until now).
The NA log on it has been there nearly two weeks. I'm surprised it's not been actioned because reviewers will have been aware of it for that long.

I can understand that Megas may get a bit more time to put their affairs in order - the Halloween Mega 2013 is also still live - but I wonder why they're left to hang about *quite* so long! TBs and coins can still be logged out of an archived event <_<

At the risk of being boring, controversial and off topic I can't help wondering we are not allowed to mention pub names in cache titles (too commercial) whilst this cacher can advertise his business (and I checked there is a business with this name in the cacher's area of SWales) with every cache he finds or logs?? :( :(

At the risk of being boring, controversial and off topic I can't help wondering we are not allowed to mention pub names in cache titles (too commercial) whilst this cacher can advertise his business (and I checked there is a business with this name in the cacher's area of SWales) with every cache he finds or logs?? :( :(

Groundspeak took a decision a few years ago, that provided a User Name is not offensive in any sort of way, nor is a attack aimed at anyone. They would generally allow most user names, even if it was the name of a business.

We do know if he owned French Connection UK he'd be in trouble :anibad:

As your aware, Groundspeak decided that the name is close enough to being offensive, that the name was deemed inappropriate, and the example your referring to, was the initials of the first 2 words and "UK", not the full name you have posted.

Deci

Groundspeak took a decision a few years ago, that provided a User Name is not offensive in any sort of way, nor is a attack aimed at anyone. They would generally allow most user names, even if it was the name of a business.

As your aware, Groundspeak decided that the name is close enough to being offensive, that the name was deemed inappropriate, and the example your referring to, was the initials of the first 2 words and "UK", not the full name you have posted.

Deci

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Deci

Yes, that's right.

Do you feel victimised Paul, I think I would if an event that had been disabled was archived 3 weeks after it finished without even a request. An out of area reviewer as well, is big brother watching you :o .

At end of day it's no big deal as it's only an expired event, but I would be a bit niffed.

Do you feel victimised Paul, I think I would if an event that had been disabled was archived 3 weeks after it finished without even a request. An out of area reviewer as well, is big brother watching you :o .

At end of day it's no big deal as it's only an expired event, but I would be a bit niffed.

FYI at that point in time, I was covering Sweeps of Southern England, The Guidelines specifically state

After an event has occurred, the listing is to be archived by the geocache owner.

Note! Not "Disable" with a statement

Temping this as it's passed.

Events can still be logged as Attended even when Archived, and TB's logged out.

I opened Disabled Caches in Southern England one by one, to see if there was a genuine reason to be Disabled. So came across Paul's event whilst doing that sweep.

If you or anyone else has a issue with that, please make a Formal Complaint to Groundspeak!

Also FYI, when ever I do a Sweep of a region, and come across a Event which has Passed, but yet to be Archived, I do so.

Deci

Edited by Deceangi

Interesting.

Correct there is no guideline which talks about disabling an event, but there aren't guidelines which forbid it either.

To me it makes some sense to disable an event cache the day after the event (as Paul did). Why? Because it is now in the past, and marking it disabled is useful as it shows that way on the maps; so people just browsing the map don't waste time thinking "what is that event" and click on it only to find it is in the past. You don't want to archive the day after an event, as that will make it harder for those who attended (and want to log it) to find it.

Then after 4 weeks archive it.

But it seems if you disable it then it can get archived earlier in a "sweep".

Well i'm probably going to get my head bitten off for this and who knows, maybe even a ban :o but hey ho, who cares :)

The Guidelines specifically state

After an event has occurred, the listing is to be archived by the geocache owner.

Deci, you're the first to shout if someone is selective in quoting "The Guidelines", they actually state:

Once the event is over, the event cache should be archived by the organizer within four weeks.

And why o why do you always have to fall back on this defensive statement whenever challenged, you would be amazed at the number of people it winds up

If you or anyone else has a issue with that, please make a Formal Complaint to Groundspeak!

Not looking to pick a fight, so perhaps this thread can be locked as the cache event in question has now been archived. Thank you Deceangi.

However... There are several other events from 2013 still very much alive and well, so if any reviewer is going to apply guidelines (linked to from my original post, for clarity), it would be nice if that was done consistently or there could be a danger of individuals ending up feeling victimised, or at least given a 'differing level of service' from others. I appreciate flexibility - after all, without it, they're rules not guidelines - but playing-fields should be level unless we get to change ends at half time :)

I would like to suggest a new feature.... How about adding an option to an event cache to allow the owner to check a box to auto-archive the event after four weeks. Also, the feature could allow the time to be specified by the cache owner to allow longer if desired, but maybe have a max number of days of 60 or 90. I recently forgot about archiving an event and it would have been nice to have set the event cache to auto-archive after 30 days. Seems this should be the default, but maybe have an option to turn off the auto-archive for reasons that are not apparent to me now, but could arise. Just a thought and it sounds like folks would appreciate the new feature based on this forum topic. Thanks!