New souvenir: "The Maker Event"

I saw a bunch of local events popping up, so checked it out.

Maker Madness Event Center

http://blog.geocaching.com/2014/02/maker-madness-event-center/

Note: event must be registered to qualify for the souvenir. The event registration is required after the event is published.

Don’t forget to register your event after it has been published by a reviewer. Events that are not registered will not qualify for a souvenir.

Maker Madness: How to Register Your Event

http://blog.geocaching.com/2014/02/maker-madness-how-to-register-your-event/

Registration form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-tJS_D_WFRrSh1ZD3_8ty0RiMPEsJP27jn8I8X86bDQ/viewform

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I saw a bunch of local events popping up, so checked it out.

I'm not that surprised but I haven't seen any of these events in my area. I like the general idea of encouraging creativity but the "Maker Madness" event just comes across to me as jumping on the Maker Culture fad bandwagon.

Registration form:

https://docs.google....X86bDQ/viewform

B.

I noticed this on the registration form;

Would you be interested in sharing photos and stories from your event with Geocaching HQ? *For use on The Geocaching Blog, Facebook, Twitter, and other social platforms.

• Yes
  • No

I hope that anyone that registers an event and shares photos with GS HQ lets the attendees know beforehand that their picture might appear on Facebook, Twitter, and other social platforms.

I thought any pics posted on a website became property of that site and its owner to use as the saw fit. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought there was a clause in the user agreement that covered pics and other multimedia. So any pics posted on any of groundspeaks sites could be used in their blogs, Facebook page, etc.

That is, if that clause is there.

The issue with the photo is that someone attending MAY NOT WANT that photo of them posted. Unless you have a photo release signed by me, you should not post any photos of me. I'm sure there are many people who feel the same.

Cool

I thought any pics posted on a website became property of that site and its owner to use as the saw fit. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought there was a clause in the user agreement that covered pics and other multimedia. So any pics posted on any of groundspeaks sites could be used in their blogs, Facebook page, etc.

That is, if that clause is there.

"A website" as in any and all? No. Certain websites allow the users to own their images, Flickr being one of them-even working with a couple stock photography companies. I'm not sure-don't we own all the info on our cache pages? I'd think that would include pictures.

Isn't this whole photo debate a bit of a thread hijack? Doesn't really have anything to do with the Maker Madness events...

Actually is is on topic.

The host of the event is able to allow Groundspeak use of any pictures. By allowing that without certain permissions would be wrong, in some case illegal. Those permissions include people-often times signed consent may be required. Places-I may not want pictures of my bar, local park or my basement to be shown to the world. Structures-including known buildings/monument such as, well any well known, identifiable building.

Now it's one thing to have personal photos, even post them on social media, but to be making money of said photos, well I would want to know.

What happens when someone takes my picture without my permission. They then post it to the event page without my permission. Then allows someone else(Groundspeak)to use the picture without my permission. GS then uses it to make money(they said where, not how they would use it) You see my point?

Glad to see a thread about this great idea.

An ideal opportunity to spread ideas throughout the community to improve cache quality and promote best practice.

Slight issue though. Very few people received an email to let them know about the idea. Then we've only been given a two week period to hold the events. Those two weeks are about 4weeks away!

A good event requires planning. An event that needs support of several people who can demonstrate great ideas needs time.

Please can there not be a rethink and give us time to make great events otherwise it's going to be a farce. Basically a normal event with a souvenir.

This thread is about Maker Madness events and not the use of photos. If you desire to discuss the use of photos start a different thread and also read the TOU for the website where the use is discussed.

Sorry. I just figured that since the registration form for the Maker Madness events specifically mentions granting permission to use photos taken at a Maker Madness event that it would be on topic. blink.gif

More lead time on these events would have been a good idea.

I also hope the events will most be used for their intended purpose: recognizing creative cache owners and showing others how to make creative caches, rather than simply meet-n-greets that provide souvenirs.

Slight issue though. Very few people received an email to let them know about the idea. Then we've only been given a two week period to hold the events. Those two weeks are about 4weeks away!

Well, we certainly didn't get an email about it. The only way I found out was because I was checking the newest listed events/caches in my area and saw a bunch of new events with the word "Maker" in the titles. Assumed it was another GS promotion, like the 31 Days thing.

Perhaps only PM's got the email? (I can only receive GS emails on my basic account.)

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

This thread is about Maker Madness events and not the use of photos. If you desire to discuss the use of photos start a different thread and also read the TOU for the website where the use is discussed.

Sorry. I just figured that since the registration form for the Maker Madness events specifically mentions granting permission to use photos taken at a Maker Madness event that it would be on topic. blink.gif

You know, I agree. It's one thing to let cachers know that uploaded images could be used by Groundspeak. But if the an event organizer needs to be reminded and agree to that little point, it could be a significant point, since attendees may not consider that 1) photos from the event may be used in promo media and 2) with so many people who may be taking photos, one of them (the CO) may have theirs used in media.

It's a tough position though... but anyone who uploads photos to a cache 'agrees' to their photos being potentially used, regardless of who may have cached with them, and not explicitly given permission for their likeness to be used... hm.

Thinking this through I may flip my opinion... In no place is GS requesting permission to use people's likenesses - it's only a matter of rights to use the photos belonging to the uploader, whether at a traditional cache or an event. Which is actually correct, since that can happen anywhere on the internet (you can't control where your likeness may appear online). I believe it goes that if you know your image could be used, you can request that the outlet blur your face, otherwise you've got no other power. Ownership of the image belongs to the photographer, who gives permission for it to be used.

If you don't want your face on any Groundspeak media, I think you'd need to explicitly contact Groundspeak and tell them, otherwise you're out of luck. Alas, IANAL :lol:

Glad to see a thread about this great idea.

An ideal opportunity to spread ideas throughout the community to improve cache quality and promote best practice.

I only wish there was a way to get more people to attend. I have help numerous "Geocachng 101" and "Hiding 101" events, and turnout of new cachers has never been great. I'd really like to pass of information about hiding (with specifics to the area), but when only 2 or so new cachers show up, it's kind of disheartening.

Is there anything actually explaining just WTH "Maker Madness" is? There's nothing I see in any of the links that actually explains the point of the souvenir aside from having an event to have a souvenir for having or attending an event.

+1

The only thing I can figure out is cachers making caches. Talking about caches usually goes on at any event. The more unique and cool a cache is the more it gets talked about. I have seen nothing to link this to the makers... culture? Is that the right word?

I disagree. The use of photographs may be covered under the TOU. If so then why is there that permission (see post #2)required asked specifically for these events? Somethings different enough to warrant this additional permission. Maybe it's my inner conspiracy theorist making this distinction, but it is present.

And yes I did start another thread.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Is there anything actually explaining just WTH "Maker Madness" is? There's nothing I see in any of the links that actually explains the point of the souvenir aside from having an event to have a souvenir for having or attending an event.

Probably it is mainly about offering a new icon/souvenir etc at regular intervals. They compete against the m.... site and similar ones where new icons pop up faster than one can watch them.

I have hidden a number of caches and have co-hidden further ones. I do not regard myself as a cache maker. I always use standatd containers, standard hideouts and standard camouflage and the pictures let me believe that what Groundspeak has in mind is something completely different, but I might be wrong.

If a cache leads to a unique location, say a rock formation, it is not us humans who created the main attraction. The human role is to show these locations and not to make/create them.

Of course there exist caches with creative containers that are hidden at unique locations, but I prefer the ones with standard containers as whatever distracts from the beauty of nature is not what fits optimally in my personal picture of geocaching.

Cezanne

Maker Madness.

Events about making geocaches.

Seems like a pretty obvious theme to me :P

You know, like Geocaching in Space.

Bringing attention to geocaching as it happens in space (or specifically, Rick Mastracchio's role)

People don't have to explicitly like every themed event. It's just an opportunity to 1) inspire event ideas, 2) inspire creative cache ideas, 3) get more people creating localized geocaching-themed gatherings, 4) encourage get people in general to get more involved.

Every single cacher doesn't have to blatantly hear about the theme. If they're watching for events, they'll see them pop up. People who are actively paying attention to news will see the theme pop up.

If you don't like the theme, you don't have to go. If you don't want to create one, you don't have to create one. I really don't see a basis for complaining about this 'theme'... heck, it's not even like Lab Caches :P

The souvenir is just another way to encourage people (who enjoy collecting souvenirs) to attend one of the events.

Maker Madness.

Events about making geocaches.

Seems like a pretty obvious theme to me :P

If you don't like the theme, you don't have to go. If you don't want to create one, you don't have to create one. I really don't see a basis for complaining about this 'theme'... heck, it's not even like Lab Caches :P

I did not complain about the theme. I just find it somehow strange that the role of cache makers is overstressed if they really just have making creative containers and camouflages in mind.

Geocaching cannot exist without cache hiders, I can well exist without cache makers (in the way I understand the notion).

There are thousands of events taking place world wide. I do not care whether a few more take place and whether the participants get a souvenir. I do not appreciate however if one way of geocaching gets favoured over another one (not by having such events, but by the way they are marketed by Groundspeak).

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne
+1

The only thing I can figure out is cachers making caches. Talking about caches usually goes on at any event. The more unique and cool a cache is the more it gets talked about. I have seen nothing to link this to the makers... culture? Is that the right word?

Did either of you read the blog post that was the first link in the original post of this thread?

I think that there might have been a selection process to decide who got the email, my non premium extra account got one but not many others did.

It's an interesting idea for an event, will be interesting to see peoples interpretation of what makes an excellent cache.

I thought about it but think that the short notice means I'd not have time to do it justice. Would be better during the summer to give the needed time.

I thought they were trying to tell people not to just do a cache/event for the sake of it but to plan an excellent one.

Hopefully they'll be cschers able to do it justice in the time available

I read it, but I'm still confused why they talk about cache makers and not cache hiders/owners. The usage of "making" and what else is said makes me believe that they have specific caches in mind where the role

of the hider is not mainly sharing nice locations and walks and hiding a standard container (my preferred type of container) in the end.

There are no techniques and tricks to be shared with respect to the type of caches I like the most.

Somehow the whole setup,the picture used to illustrate the idea (showing diverse tools) makes me believe that with "making (nice) caches" something different is meant as with just "hiding (nice) cache".

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I read it, but I'm still confused why they talk about cache makers and not cache hiders/owners. The usage of "making" and what else is said makes me believe that they have specific caches in mind where the role

of the hider is not mainly sharing nice locations and walks and hiding a standard container (my preferred type of container) in the end.

There are no techniques and tricks to be shared with respect to the type of caches I like the most.

Somehow the whole setup,the picture used to illustrate the idea (showing diverse tools) makes me believe that with "making (nice) caches" something different is meant as with just "hiding (nice) cache".

Cezanne

Yeah...it's all pretty vague. I'm well aware of what it means to "make" something...but I wonder whether GS really knows what they are even promoting.

Whether you’re a Social Butterfly or a Nature Lover, a Stats Geek, Traveler, or Puzzler (take the quiz and find out your geocacher type), it’s time to say thank you to a geocache maker near you. From March 28 – April 7, geocachers around the world will join together to celebrate the people in their community who make geocaching possible. We call this celebration Maker Madness.

First off, the quiz is just ridiculous and I can't even bring myself to seriously answer any of those questions. I just chalk that up to my inner grump...but then they say "celebrate the people in their community who make geocaching possible". HUH? The hiders? The finders? Groundspeak and its volunteers? The "makers", obviously...makers of what? The site? The caches?

It all just reads as another excuse to have a souvenir. Next up: The Souvenir Souvenir...for every souvenir you have, you earn a souvenir to honor the souvenirs in your profile and the people that make it possible!

Always something to complain about.

You're reading FAR too much into this.

It's an event theme to focus on the creation of geocaches. The rest of it is promo-speak. Whether "making" to you is puzzle design, or high-tech full-fledged day-long experiences. Just enjoy the theme, maybe be inspired for the next cache you go out and hide. That's it.

Of course there exist caches with creative containers that are hidden at unique locations, but I prefer the ones with standard containers as whatever distracts from the beauty of nature is not what fits optimally in my personal picture of geocaching.

I wonder then why you bother finding / logging the cache at all? Why not just visit the location and drink in all that nature - in an optimal way - and then go home again?

It's an event theme to focus on the creation of geocaches. The rest of it is promo-speak. Whether "making" to you is puzzle design, or high-tech full-fledged day-long experiences. Just enjoy the theme, maybe be inspired for the next cache you go out and hide. That's it.

Great...so why don't they just say EXACTLY THAT?

Cezanne

Yeah...it's all pretty vague. I'm well aware of what it means to "make" something...but I wonder whether GS really knows what they are even promoting.

I think that they do. Consider the focus on social media over the past few years. The Facebook/Twitter integration has been a significant area of development. If there is a system outage, often one of the first places one can find information about it is via the FB account. More recently, there have been promotions regarding the use of Instagram and Pintarest. The the use of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pintarest, etc are all tools that make up a Social Media Marketing strategy. See my post earlier about Maker Culture . As I see it, the creation of "Maker Spaces" is just the latest Social Media Marketing tool. Do a google search on "Maker Space" and you'll find many of the results are Library related. As someone that has worked in a library for the past 17 years I've become pretty familiar with the focus on Social Media Marketing and my general impression is that rarely are these tools used to provide useful services for end users, but are more about using market channels that end users are already using.

Whether you're a Social Butterfly or a Nature Lover, a Stats Geek, Traveler, or Puzzler (take the quiz and find out your geocacher type), it's time to say thank you to a geocache maker near you. From March 28 – April 7, geocachers around the world will join together to celebrate the people in their community who make geocaching possible. We call this celebration Maker Madness.

First off, the quiz is just ridiculous and I can't even bring myself to seriously answer any of those questions. I just chalk that up to my inner grump...but then they say "celebrate the people in their community who make geocaching possible". HUH? The hiders? The finders? Groundspeak and its volunteers? The "makers", obviously...makers of what? The site? The caches?

It all just reads as another excuse to have a souvenir. Next up: The Souvenir Souvenir...for every souvenir you have, you earn a souvenir to honor the souvenirs in your profile and the people that make it possible!

That's probably a bit absurd but I really wouldn't be surprised if we're offered a souvenir for "Liking" GS on Facebook or following them on Twitter.

Maybe, maybe not. Someone told what is written in another forum (in the German speaking area) about this idea and it somehow fits better to what I'm reading into it.

So maybe the marketing strategies of Groundspeak better appeal to people from certain countries. Maybe people in North America and the UK are more or less used to this kind of promo speak. To many cachers in my country the announcement texts and the text of the certificate sound quite absurd.

My next cache will be a low tech hiking multi cache where I will profit from what is already there - the nature and hiking trails. The only thing that will be added by me is a lock and lock container somewhere hidden towards the end of the hike in a tree stump or at the roots of a tree. Creating feels quite arrogant to me in this context.

I cannot help but I what you call promo speak leaves me with the feeling that caches like the one above are not included when Groundspeak talks about quality cache experiences.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

You got it thebruce0! We realized that we do a lot to focus on geocache finders and encourage them to get out and play the game all the time. We thought it might be nice to shift our focus on those who make (substitute: create, hide, construct, etc) geocaches. Geocache quality is important to the community. In supporting specific events that bring the community together to talk specifically about what makes a great geocache (creative camo, amazing hike with a view at the end, tricky puzzle, etc) we are hoping to support knowledgeable community members in educating their local community about what makes an outstanding hide.

we are hoping to support knowledgeable community members in educating their local community about what makes an outstanding hide.

Sadly this seems to be increasingly less fashionable - at least in my part of the world.

These days it seems to be more about where one more container* can be squeezed.

*I use the word container in its loosest possible sense - a magnifying glass is fast becoming essential TOTT :(

We realized that we do a lot to focus on geocache finders and encourage them to get out and play the game all the time. We thought it might be nice to shift our focus on those who make (substitute: create, hide, construct, etc) geocaches. Geocache quality is important to the community. In supporting specific events that bring the community together to talk specifically about what makes a great geocache (creative camo, amazing hike with a view at the end, tricky puzzle, etc) we are hoping to support knowledgeable community members in educating their local community about what makes an outstanding hide.

I'm wondering why if Groundspeak wants to include all type of geocaches, the certificate text reads as follows:

"Congratulations on completing Geocache Maker training. You now have the skills and privilege—nay, responsibility!— to go forth and create amazing geocaches. By signing this document, you certify that you will live and breathe by Favorite Points, obtain joy from long and in-depth logs, perform maintenance when it’s needed (and before), inspire geocachers with photos and stories of your hides, and most of all, hide innovative and creative geocaches."

My goal is to hide nice and/or interesting caches, not innovative or creative ones. The text above sounds ridiculous to me. The intentions behind it might be good ones - it might be a sender recipient issue.

Maybe in your part of the world the text and the promo speak around the new souvenir is understood as being funny. This is not the case in my part of the world.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

My goal is to hide nice and/or interesting caches, not innovative or creative ones. The text above sounds ridiculous to me. The intentions behind it might be good ones - it might be a sender recipient issue.

Maybe in your part of the world the text and the promo speak around the new souvenir is understood as being funny. This is not the case in my part of the world.

Cezanne

As someone who hides geocaches that I would like to find and which often get only a few finds (puzzle is too hard or requires too much work, or cache requires a long hike on difficult terrain), I certainly share Cezanne's concern that these events will encourage creating only popular caches that appeal to the masses. It could be, however, that using the "maker" meme will get others to think of the different ways you can make your cache unique and special - even when it might only appeal to a small number of cachers. For those whose creative juices are more in the area of building things, discussing ways to camouflage an urban hide may be a useful event theme. Hopefully there will be other discussions on how to construct puzzles, how to make the caching experience educational, or where the best places are to hide a wilderness cache.

My next cache will be a low tech hiking multi cache where I will profit from what is already there - the nature and hiking trails. The only thing that will be added by me is a lock and lock container somewhere hidden towards the end of the hike in a tree stump or at the roots of a tree. Creating feels quite arrogant to me in this context.

Oh, come on. No one is saying that ALL geocaches require creating extravagant content. Geocaching is still anything from a film canister in creativity to some of the astounding lengthier experiences Groundspeak has drawn attention to in your regions. If you want to put out a hiking multi with a lock'n'lock, no one is saying that's any less valuable. The fact they're putting focus, in this event, on creative geocache creation, is far from any implication that any other kind of hide is any less important to geocaching.

Would you rather they NOT implement ways to encourage players to be creative and innovative when placing geocaches? You seem to have this 'exclusivity' in your mindset with most anything GS says these days.

The events are certainly there to "inspire geocachers [to] hide innovative and creative geocache" - and that is not to the exclusion of anything else.

Also, who's to say that at any point in the future Groundspeak may not be planning to implement some measure to encourage simple outdoors geocaches, hikes and great scenery? They've already given souvenirs and run event themes to encourage people to visit places, and do other nature-related activities; CITOs, Earthcaches, traveling, etc. What more do you want them to do? They can only focus on one aspect of geocaching at a time. If you enjoy a certain aspect of geocaching, then not every promotional period they run will be 'appealing' - but hopefully you can at least see how it does appeal to certain geocacher styles and preferences, in an effort to strengthen such segments of the community and keep geocaching relevant to the greater population.

As someone who hides geocaches that I would like to find and which often get only a few finds (puzzle is too hard or requires too much work, or cache requires a long hike on difficult terrain), I certainly share Cezanne's concern that these events will encourage creating only popular caches that appeal to the masses.

Are you saying that we should aim for unpopular caches which appeal to few people - or perhaps nobody at all?

Personally I'd say we already have enough of those - and we're likely to get more of them as caching steams down hill toward the lowest common denominator.

It could be, however, that using the "maker" meme will get others to think of the different ways you can make your cache unique and special - even when it might only appeal to a small number of cachers. For those whose creative juices are more in the area of building things, discussing ways to camouflage an urban hide may be a useful event theme. Hopefully there will be other discussions on how to construct puzzles, how to make the caching experience educational, or where the best places are to hide a wilderness cache.

I like this line of thinking better B)

Would you rather they NOT implement ways to encourage players to be creative and innovative when placing geocaches? You seem to have this 'exclusivity' in your mindset with most anything GS says these days.

The events are certainly there to "inspire geocachers [to] hide innovative and creative geocache" - and that is not to the exclusion of anything else.

I rather would prefer a focus on enjoyable caches whatever enjoyable might mean to different target groups. It appears to me that the focus on innovative and creative excludes a certain segment of caches that I regard as enjoyable. Being more than 11 years into geocaching, I do not feel that I have a major advantage over a relatively new cacher who has however years of outdoor experience and knows many unique locations in an area that I do not know well. I would not classify a single of my favourite caches as innovative and creative even though some of these caches are really awesome. Do you get what I'm trying to say?

I'm not so much concerned about creative puzzle caches as I feel that they will continue to exist and continue to be hidden anyway. I'm concerned about traditionals and multi caches which are only about the locations and the hike. Somehow I feel that this stream of geocaching which in the early years has been one of the strongest is very much on the decline. This type of cache is however the type of cache where the notions "training of cache makers", "making caches" etc do not really make much sense.

Suppose there existed a cache at Rae Lakes (I do not know whether caches are allowed there). Even a (quickly findable) micro at this location in a standard hideout would have so much more value for me than the most creative caches one could imagine. For me creative and innovative are no properties geocaches that are important to me.

I'm not against the maker events per se. In any case, I do not like the manner they are marketed and described. If you like this way, fine.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Also, who's to say that at any point in the future Groundspeak may not be planning to implement some measure to encourage simple outdoors geocaches, hikes and great scenery?

Noone. The confusion just comes from the fact how the "The Maker event" thing is promoted. It leaves me with the feeling that creative and innovative are being set equal to high quality implying implicitely that simple outdoor caches are not seen as valuable contribution to geocaching.

Cezanne

I rather would prefer a focus on enjoyable caches whatever enjoyable might mean to different target groups. It appears to me that the focus on innovative and creative excludes a certain segment of caches that I regard as enjoyable.

etc etc etc

I think you're just looking for something to complain about. Groundspeak are not excluding those caches you enjoy, and Jayme summed it up nicely.

We thought it might be nice to shift our focus on those who make (substitute: create, hide, construct, etc) geocaches. Geocache quality is important to the community. In supporting specific events that bring the community together to talk specifically about what makes a great geocache (creative camo, amazing hike with a view at the end, tricky puzzle, etc) we are hoping to support knowledgeable community members in educating their local community about what makes an outstanding hide.

Edit - I made bold the important parts for you, Cezanne. Please note, however, I'm certain that Jayme is not excluding, for example, amazing hikes without a view at the end, but something else interesting at the end instead...

Edited by funkymunkyzone
The usage of "making" and what else is said makes me believe that they have specific caches in mind where the role of the hider is not mainly sharing nice locations and walks and hiding a standard container (my preferred type of container) in the end. There are no techniques and tricks to be shared with respect to the type of caches I like the most.
FWIW, there were plenty of "standard containers" prepared as geocaches at the Little Shop of Horrors events that I've attended. Containers like ammo cans and Lock & Locks and preforms and match safes were painted and labeled. Areas were set up for painting, appropriate paints were available (flat, neutral colors, adhere to metal/plastic), stencils for camouflage patterns were available, stencils and other materials for labeling containers were available, various size log books and log sheets were available, laminated cache notes were available, etc., etc., etc. A lot of people were happy to have help creating these "standard containers" (which were a lot better than many of the common containers found in the field).

Of course, some people took advantage of the workshop resources to create the kind of clever camouflage containers that I prefer as well. It wasn't all about building "standard containers". ;)

Noone. The confusion just comes from the fact how the "The Maker event" thing is promoted. It leaves me with the feeling that creative and innovative are being set equal to high quality implying implicitely that simple outdoor caches are not seen as valuable contribution to geocaching.

Nobody said anything of the sort.

Try to stick to the facts.

I just heard about this event through some alternate geocaching forums I'm on.

I'm really glad they were talking about it, because I already am a slave to favorite points and souvenirs, so this is a natch for me.

I didn't get notification and I've been a premium member for years. I'm near GS headquarters so I looked it up and found they have an event happening. Not many have signed up considering how many normally go to their events, so I would venture to guess that a whole lot of people didn't get notice of this.

This is a fantastic idea to try to improve geocaching as a game. I prefer to find the clever cache any day. I have one cache that is gathering favorite points and every additional point brings a big smile to my face, so I'd love to learn how to make more caches that people love.

I think this is a great event targeted at improving the game as a whole. I think it's a great idea and I'm glad they're doing it. I wish the information had of gotten out to everyone though. More people need to go to these.

Nobody said anything of the sort.

Try to stick to the facts.

No, actually I have seen that complaint. Ammo boxes in hollow logs in awesome locations don't seem to be getting any love. here. I'm not a particulary clever "Maker". Save for a birdhouse in the woods, and a small lock-n-lock attached to the bottom of a rock with two part epoxy glue. :P

I rather would prefer a focus on enjoyable caches whatever enjoyable might mean to different target groups. It appears to me that the focus on innovative and creative excludes a certain segment of caches that I regard as enjoyable.

Let me re-iterate:

If you want to put out a hiking multi with a lock'n'lock, no one is saying that's any less valuable. The fact they're putting focus, in this event, on creative geocache creation, is far from any implication that any other kind of hide is any less important to geocaching.
You seem to have this 'exclusivity' in your mindset ... The events are certainly there to "inspire geocachers [to] hide innovative and creative geocache" - and that is not to the exclusion of anything else.

and again, as highlighted by funkymunkyzone:

We thought it might be nice to shift our focus on those who make (substitute: create, hide, construct, etc) geocaches. Geocache quality is important to the community. In supporting specific events that bring the community together to talk specifically about what makes a great geocache (creative camo, amazing hike with a view at the end, tricky puzzle, etc) we are hoping to support knowledgeable community members in educating their local community about what makes an outstanding hide.

Don't be a worry-wart! Take advantage of the opportunity - create a Maker Madness event centered around the types of caches you enjoy, and encourage other locals in your area to create those types of caches; set the example, be the change :lol: (instead of declaring on the forums that the sky is falling every time Groundspeak tries something that you personally don't like)

Take advantage of the opportunity - create a Maker Madness event centered around the types of caches you enjoy, and encourage other locals in your area to create those types of caches; set the example, be the change :lol: (instead of declaring on the forums that the sky is falling every time Groundspeak tries something that you personally don't like)

+ a lot

Let me re-iterate:

If you want to put out a hiking multi with a lock'n'lock, no one is saying that's any less valuable. The fact they're putting focus, in this event, on creative geocache creation, is far from any implication that any other kind of hide is any less important to geocaching.
You seem to have this 'exclusivity' in your mindset ... The events are certainly there to "inspire geocachers [to] hide innovative and creative geocache" - and that is not to the exclusion of anything else.

and again, as highlighted by funkymunkyzone:

Don't be a worry-wart! Take advantage of the opportunity - create a Maker Madness event centered around the types of caches you enjoy, and encourage other locals in your area to create those types of caches; set the example, be the change :lol: (instead of declaring on the forums that the sky is falling every time Groundspeak tries something that you personally don't like)

Not sure I understand why you're such a big cheerleader for everything GS cooks up. Are you somehow affiliated with Grounspeak? Just curious. You don't really seem to turn a critical eye to any of their odd projects.