spellings auto correct

Why does the geocaching log spell checker not recognise the word "wellies" it is a commonly used word in the English language used as a short version of wellington boots. But the spell checker auto corrects it to a rude word! willies! This has happened to another local cacher too!

Has anyone else had an embarrassing auto correct mishap?

I have not encountered such an embarrassing mishap like you describe. "Wellies" is not such a common term in the U.S. as it is in the UK, which might explain your situation to some degree. Are you logging on a smart phone, or on the website directly? I was unaware that the site has a native spell checker. I make spelling errors all the time, and it's never corrected my mistakes ;)

It happened while logging on the Laptop once I got home, but it also happened when I wrote the first paragraph on this thread!

It was auto-correcting when I typed it using IE 11.0.3. Go back, re-type, and it's underlined in red. Now right-click, add to dictionary. If you intend to type "wellies" frequently (and why not!), add it to the dictionary now.

But now that it's in the dictionary, a creepy insect may give me "the wellies". :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

I suspect it's something on your laptop, by what you describe. As S-N-B pointed out, my misspelled words are highlighted, but my computer doesn't auto replace my misspellings like on my phone (which I find mildly annoying at times...although some of the substitutions can be hilarious). Most auto correctors allow for editing of common words you use. I would suggest trying to find the library that it's pulling from and adding "wellies" to the dictionary database.

For the record, the North American definition:

wil·lies

noun plural \ˈwi-lēz\

Definition of WILLIES

: a fit of nervousness : jitters —used with the

Examples of WILLIES

<spiders give me the willies for some reason>

Origin of WILLIES

origin unknown

First Known Use: circa 1896

:)

For the record, the North American definition:

wil·lies

noun plural \ˈwi-lēz\

Definition of WILLIES

: a fit of nervousness : jitters —used with the

Examples of WILLIES

<spiders give me the willies for some reason>

Origin of WILLIES

origin unknown

First Known Use: circa 1896

:)

Wellies - with an 'e' - as in these. From 'wellington boots'.

Umm... yeah, I know that. I'm referring to the OP (and others') apparent assumption that the auto-correct was making a bad word as opposed to a perfectly legitimate one.