how many caches owners have to replace/mend/replace

mar1sa

No special tool required caches, which might be the reason why ours don't get damaged. Otherwise things don't look too bad: one nano once vanished after a storm, another one when the fence it was placed on got a paint job. One cache probably was muggled once, so we chose a slightly different place and it's doing fine.

do you have a cache or caches that get damaged often to cachers that dont take care?

No, no damage. We have some that migrate time-to-time and the occasional wet log...

With some not even able to close a lid properly, there's no way we'd set ourselves up by having one that might need to be disassembled and assembled again, however simple it may seem.

Many don't read cache pages or look at attributes.

We'd probably go for a hide of this type, our bags loaded with more than needed TTOT. :)

Edited by cerberus1

Can you use a labelmaker or something and put the instructions on the cache itself to please open it the way that you intend? Like it was said before, not everyone reads the cache page.

You could, but it's kind of pointless since the people who don't read cache pages are often also the kind of people who don't read instructions period. Not all of them, but...

Here's a suggestion - take it for what its worth....

You might want to INCLUDE a phillips screwdriver at GZ so folks can SEE it and take notice they have to use it. You could drill a hole in the handle, attach a ring & chain and chain it down to something so nobody steals it.

Depending on the design of the cache/container..... Not everyone is handy with tools. Your 'screw' (or whatever it is) and/or screw hole will get cross threaded eventually.

Here's a suggestion - take it for what its worth....

You might want to INCLUDE a phillips screwdriver at GZ so folks can SEE it and take notice they have to use it. You could drill a hole in the handle, attach a ring & chain and chain it down to something so nobody steals it.

Depending on the design of the cache/container..... Not everyone is handy with tools. Your 'screw' (or whatever it is) and/or screw hole will get cross threaded eventually.

Or make it a multi with the coords being on the handle of the screwdriver 70 feet away.

I have a cache that uses a screw to hold it together, but I drilled out where the threads go so it acts like a pin more than a screw. If the wood swells or something like that, a screwdriver COULD be used to get the screw out, but usually isn't required. On the cache page, I mentioned that a screwdriver may be necessary, but haven't gotten any logs saying that they needed one.

My first cache was a lot of work to maintain. I had to replace or repair something a couple times a month. The damage wasn't caused by geocachers though. It was caused by skateboarders who were using the location as an unofficial skateboard park. Eventually the damage to the location was so severe that I couldn't maintain the cache there, and I archived it.

But I learned a lot from trying to maintain that cache. My current caches haven't required much maintenance at all. I had to replace one container when construction in the area changed the hide location, and then replace it again when someone broke the container into lots of little pieces. But that was over the course of several years. And I need to refresh the camouflage on the other, although it's perfectly effective the way it is right now.

I have a couple that get damaged quite a lot.

one is a lovely wooden treasure chest with a lock on and while cachers are very careful with the box (thank goodness) they forever smash the lock and I end up going out to that cache every couple of months to put a new lock on it. One point I went out three times in two weeks to replace the lock

another is an apple up in a tree and they're not careful with that one either, they rip off the lid and then loose it but don't put it in the log and then I get an email informing me that the apple is broken. :(

The others are fine though. No issues other than occasionally it going missing

I'm actually pretty fortunate. I have only ever had one NM log total...and that was for a missing cache. Of the 26 caches I created (I won't count the two I adopted recently), not one single person has put in a "needs maintenance" log for a damaged cache or wet log. It doesn't necessarily mean all mine are perfect or flawless containers, but I like to think they are well-placed and well-handled so as not to require regular maintenance.

Many of my caches are simple lock-n-locks, and they all require maintenance at some point cuz some cachers just can't operate them.

a common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

My wife and I share several caches and I have only had to replace one (due to a vandal) Most of mine are birdhouse and ammo cans....

My advice about birdhouse caches build your own with treated lumber and leave it outside your house for 6 months to a year to let it weather, then caulk where it warped, all my birdhouses are bone dry on the inside and never swell due to the weather. But to be safe I always use cheap Tupperware on the inside.

Many of my caches are simple lock-n-locks, and they all require maintenance at some point cuz some cachers just can't operate them.

a common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Actually, my major problem is that bears like to chew on my caches! Please put the rock back in front so the bear cannot get to it...