Searched for a geocache and found a letterbox

lel_h

Solved a puzzle cache and conducted a search of GZ. I thought I had found it, but when I pulled it from its hiding place, it was labeled as a letterbox. The bag that contained the stamp and log was damaged, and the booklet inside was thoroughly soaked. Also found a "cache" of eggs nearby, but that's another story.

I didn't inspect the letterbox very closely, for fear of causing more damage to the contents. Is there some way to get in contact with the letterbox owner to let them know that it needs some TLC? I looked on letterboxing.org but couldn't figure out how to identify the particular letterbox very easily. I guess I could go back and gently leaf through the wet log pages to look for information.

What was the location?

The major letterboxing website is Atlasquest.com and that has a map search.

Thanks for the information. It's in Santa Clara, CA. Don't want to identify the precise location because it would reveal the final coordinates for a puzzle cache. There were no hits on the Atlasquest website.

There's also letterboxing.org.

That's the site that I checked earlier.

I'm probably going to go back to search for the geocache at that location again, and I'll bring a new bag to protect the letterbox. I should keep a supply of Ziploc in my TOTT bag for situations like this.

Edited by lel_h

That's the site that I checked earlier.

I'm probably going to go back to search for the geocache at that location again, and I'll bring a new bag to protect the letterbox. I should keep a supply of Ziploc in my TOTT bag for situations like this.

I'd be happy to try to find out which letterbox it could be. I'll need some detailed info. You can PM me if you like. :)

I just looked Santa Clara on Atlas (and saved a couple for future reference). There are a limited number to check, but some of them have more than one box associated with the listing. The mapping there is not as precise as listings on this site. Sometimes the stamp will be a good clue.

I was letterboxing the other day and found a geocache, but that turned out to be easier to identify.

Thanks for your concern. Hopefully the Lone R. can help.

Edited by geodarts

Thanks L0ne.R! That was really quick work. And yes, there is a puzzle cache final at the exact same location (which I still haven't found - still have a poorly developed geosense for these "evil" hides!).

And thanks to everyone else who has chimed in with advice!

That's like the Navicache.com of letterboxing these days. :laughing:

<snippy>

Yeah, I know. :P

A couple of guys actually bought that website 2 years ago (personally, I would have made them pay me to take it), but they've done nothing, and it's even deader than it was before they bought it. :huh:

I knew the Lone R. would come through! Glad there's a happy ending here!