Community Book Exchanges Category Proposal Ready for Peer Review!

Waymarking community:

After much positive feedback from group members and the Waymarking community, I have finally finished tweaking the verbiage for the next category proposal: 'Community Book Exchanges'. This category was originally titled 'Little Free Libraries' but comments from others suggested a more generic title because of miscellaneous book exchanges that could also be waymarked as well as Little Free Libraries, which include physical buildings.

I'm inviting all waymarkers to click the following link and look over the revised category for errors and any other suggestions before I officially send it to Peer Review:

Community Book Exchanges

I'm hoping all will find this potential category to their liking and the group looks forward to seeing this category come to fruition!

Doug

thebeav69

I think the category has taken a new direction that is very different from the original intent. We went from Little Free Libraries, to storefronts where you can buy and sell books! That sounds more like Used Book Stores to me, which is already a category. Now every Half-Priced Book store fits into the originally titled Little Free Libraries category.

I think this should be discussed further before sending it to peer review.

I feel really bad giving any kind of negative feedback on a category I'm very excited about. I just wanted to point out that it has taken a whole new direction that I'm not as happy about. What makes me the most uncomfortable is the money issue (it was the FREE that first got my attention).

But I really want this category to be approved!

By the way, what is the "bonus points" variable? I have no idea what that means. I probably just missed something in the write-up.

Great write-up, by the way! Outstanding job.

I feel really bad giving any kind of negative feedback on a category I'm very excited about. I just wanted to point out that it has taken a whole new direction that I'm not as happy about. What makes me the most uncomfortable is the money issue (it was the FREE that first got my attention).

But I really want this category to be approved!

By the way, what is the "bonus points" variable? I have no idea what that means. I probably just missed something in the write-up.

Great write-up, by the way! Outstanding job.

I agree, Max and 99, I'm thinking the title should say 'Free Community Book Exchanges'. I also didn't want to exclude storefronts that offer free books/exchanges that AREN'T used book stores. I'm thinking the storefront picture in the category description should have the BUY/SELL words erased.

Edited by thebeav69

I had no idea there were storefront-style book exchanges. Now that I know they exist, I have no problem with them being part of this category. The description as currently written would get my vote!

One minor suggestion: What about swapping the two photos? This category was started for the small roadside boxes, and I think that's still the primary intent of it, so maybe that photo should be first. It's a minor change, but it might help influence people to look for the boxes more than the storefronts.

Great write-up Beav!

You see what happens when an idea is hashed out in the forums? We end up with a well-written category that people agree with, not an out-of-nowhere, redundant category for some artwork in a small town in Colorado... :laughing:

(BTW, the reference to "hash" and Colorado was completely unintentional!)

The Free Community Book Exchanges category is now OFFICIALLY open for Peer Review. I appreciate all the feedback from those folks who helped to make it what it is (Max and 99, A-Team, and others) and I look forward to seeing this category become the newest addition to the Waymarking community.

Don't forget to vote!

Great write-up Beav!

You see what happens when an idea is hashed out in the forums? We end up with a well-written category that people agree with, not an out-of-nowhere, redundant category for some artwork in a small town in Colorado... :laughing:

(BTW, the reference to "hash" and Colorado was completely unintentional!)

I concur with the A-Team - excellent write-up and I can't wait to start looking for entries in this new category! :)

Since it looks like this category will easily pass peer review, I started doing some research to see if I could identify the locations of some of these in my town. I was surprised to find I've been able to locate at least 8 of these in town, none of which are listed on Little Free Library. I'll go out to visit them soon and get their locations listed on here!

Woohoo, this category is now active! If it isn't raining too hard tomorrow, I plan to go out and visit a bunch of these so I can add them to this new category.

Thanks for your work in getting this done, beav!

And thank YOU for the input leading up to this category approval! I just noticed the category went live and am looking forward to submitting the two Little Free Libraries I discovered into the category.

Now onto my next endeavor.... Food Eating Contests. :anibad: