NGS to GPS 2.0 program

_SWH

Hi. I've been reading up and testing several of the methods shared and discussed in the forums for benchmarks, pertaining to converting data/ text files to GPX. I found the NGS 2.0 to be the simplest as far as plug and play. (vs the BMGPX msdos prompts). However, the newest NGS archive datasheet files are for entire states. Well, I then read to use clayjars watcher program to filter county, etc. I tried that but it won't load and gives an error.

When I downloaded the FL.zip I was easily able to open the text and use it in the NGS 2.0 converter. It took about 20 minutes to convert them all. Then when it got to WRITING record 18835, it got hung up. I thought well that had to be enough benchmarks. Turned off the program. So I then moved it to my gps to see. Well, of course it is stopped at some point because of too many points loaded error on GPS screen. I powered it back on and it did load some close by but not all of them. I have a Garmin 62ST.

So - How do I remove or filter benchmarks that are no where near me so I don't go "over" and the NGS 2.0 doesn't get hung up on that file?

Hi. I've been reading up and testing several of the methods shared and discussed in the forums for benchmarks, pertaining to converting data/ text files to GPX. I found the NGS 2.0 to be the simplest as far as plug and play. (vs the BMGPX msdos prompts). However, the newest NGS archive datasheet files are for entire states. Well, I then read to use clayjars watcher program to filter county, etc. I tried that but it won't load and gives an error.

When I downloaded the FL.zip I was easily able to open the text and use it in the NGS 2.0 converter. It took about 20 minutes to convert them all. Then when it got to WRITING record 18835, it got hung up. I thought well that had to be enough benchmarks. Turned off the program. So I then moved it to my gps to see. Well, of course it is stopped at some point because of too many points loaded error on GPS screen. I powered it back on and it did load some close by but not all of them. I have a Garmin 62ST.

So - How do I remove or filter benchmarks that are no where near me so I don't go "over" and the NGS 2.0 doesn't get hung up on that file?

Try downloading only the county that you want to hunt benchmarks in.

Click here to go the NGS datasheet recovery page.

John

If you're using my program - NGS>>GPX, then it should be able to handle full states, assuming your PC has an average amount of RAM. (Yes, it does use a lot of memory.) My system, with 4GB of RAM, can *barely* do California (the state with the most stations, just above Texas in the #2 and Florida in the #3 position.)

However, when it gets to the WRITING part, no more memory is needed, so any hangups are being caused by the drive - either writing is really slow, or disk is full, etc. (As far as Garmin goes, I can't say anything..)

If you're NOT talking about my application, then.. ignore all this. :)

Edit - I've stopped working on v3.0 of NGS>>GPX, I'm putting all my free programming time towards v2 of the Android app.

Edited by foxtrot_xray

Hi. Thanks both for replying.

To the part about downloading only the county. Well, I am at the page. but does not look like the archived state I had. What do I do to get it to a text file?

Foxtrot - yes, you're awesome program. I really like it because it's literally plug and play. My computer is only 2 years old. But Perhaps I am not using it correctly? I will try the county part mentioned if one of you can tell me how to get it to text?

Also - side note/ question. What is a survey disk? I can't find a real image of those. I don't think it's the big round metal disk in the ground. I can't seem to find any of those each time I look for one.....of course I don't know what I'm looking for on those so I haven't been sure about logging a destroyed or not.

Ok wait I downloaded and got to text file. I just tried and it didn't "find" any in the text file. Do I have to save as some special font or spacing or ?

|Dist|PID...|H V|Vert_Source|Latitude.....|Longitude.....|Stab|C|Designation

|----|------|- -|-----------|-------------|--------------|----|-|-----------

|....|AD6290|. 2|88/ADJUSTED|N265639......|W0800417......|C...|N|06 78 B 01 RM 1 FLDNR

|....|AD7887|0 1|88/ADJUSTED|N263756.10031|W0800214.38578|D...|G|06 78 E 07

|....|AD2815|. 1|88/ADJUSTED|N264128......|W0800414......|D...|G|1 15.55

|....|AD2968|. 2|88/ADJUSTED|N265646......|W0800503......|B...|G|1 22.808 MSL

|....|AD2614|. 2|88/ADJUSTED|N262018.9....|W0800422.8....|D...|G|1 25.742

Ok wait I downloaded and got to text file. I just tried and it didn't "find" any in the text file. Do I have to save as some special font or spacing or ?

That's the station-select list. You need to select the stations you want, then click the "GET DATASHEETS" button.

And yes, if the station is a "survey disk", it's a round metal disk of some style - go to the benchmark gallery (I don't have the URL handy, darnit..) and you'll see examples.

--Mike

That's the station-select list. You need to select the stations you want, then click the "GET DATASHEETS" button.

And yes, if the station is a "survey disk", it's a round metal disk of some style - go to the benchmark gallery (I don't have the URL handy, darnit..) and you'll see examples.

--Mike

Benchmark Gallery link.

You can also click our profile and then click Geocaches and then the benchmarks to see how to log one of the marks after you find one.

Shirley~