e-trex 20

It's probably not you, just the contacts being a bit marginal in the GPS.

Only time anything similar happened to me was once when i dropped my GPS. Picked it up, checked for damage - didn't see any - but my maps and geocaches wouldn't show up even after turning the it off and back on, Removed and re-inserted the card and it worked, so I guess it just got knocked loose.

It's probably not you, just the contacts being a bit marginal in the GPS.

Only time anything similar happened to me was once when i dropped my GPS. Picked it up, checked for damage - didn't see any - but my maps and geocaches wouldn't show up even after turning the it off and back on, Removed and re-inserted the card and it worked, so I guess it just got knocked loose.

That's probably it. Thanks for the response.

It's happened to me with an Oregon 450t. Oddly enough, the first time it ever happened to me was when I first started using a card... all of my geocaches stored on the unit itself disappeared, so I migrated them all over to the SD card where they re-appeared. Since then, I've "lost" them only twice, but they were on the card, so I was able to just pull it out, boot it up, and put it back in. It's just one of those things we live with. It probably won't happen often, so don't get too worked up about it.

It's happened to me with an Oregon 450t. Oddly enough, the first time it ever happened to me was when I first started using a card... all of my geocaches stored on the unit itself disappeared, so I migrated them all over to the SD card where they re-appeared. Since then, I've "lost" them only twice, but they were on the card, so I was able to just pull it out, boot it up, and put it back in. It's just one of those things we live with. It probably won't happen often, so don't get too worked up about it.

Yea, thanks for the response. It seems like every third or fourth time I put in a card nothing happens, in that the e-trex 20 sees no caches. I threw out the first card and bought another that did the same thing. I pulled it out and put it back in somewhat more carefully and it worked. Now I put a card in and try to seat it by sliding it up and down on the contacts then lock it in place. So far so good.

once the card is in, just leave it in place. In fact, I get in the habit of testing this every time I update my pocket queries. If I'm at the computer, I'll just delete the files, re-boot, re-connect and re-load the files. I'll only take the card out and replace it if this happens to me when I'm out and about.

By the way, it shouldn't be a card issue. When this happens, the maps I have on the card are still there. It's just geocaches (as far as I know) that are affected.