Common log

I have seen multiple logs by multiple users read this:

"That’s one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache."

Why do so many people have that? Is it some default log or something?

The dreaded "intro app" rears its ugly head again! Just push the button & you avoided being personal & creative.

"That's one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache."

The auto-reply used to say "I found this geocache using the Geocaching Intro App."

As a CO I'm not happy with either version. At least the first one was more honest and more obvious that it was a canned message. The second version at first gives the impression the the finder wrote it, that is, until you receive a few of these exact messages.

Edited by L0ne.R

It's the new default log for the intro app.

That's what I was guessing it would be. Are you able to erase that and write your own log?

That's what I was guessing it would be. Are you able to erase that and write your own log?

I believe you can (can't find it in notes...), but not many want to it seems.

"That's one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache."

The auto-reply used to say "I found this geocache using the Geocaching Intro App."

As a CO I'm not happy with either version. At least the first one was more honest and more obvious that it was a canned message. The second version at first gives the impression the the finder wrote it, that is, until you receive a few of these exact messages.

One more find for me....whee!

This could be turned into a jingle.

I think it's a step up from the old message. At least it looks like a real person typed it.

The dreaded "intro app" rears its ugly head again! Just push the button & you avoided being personal & creative.

NO PROOF it has to do with the Intro App. Stop blaming something you don't have the facts to back it up with.

God forbid you try and change it. You may get kicked out of the forums for a week!

NO PROOF it has to do with the Intro App. Stop blaming something you don't have the facts to back it up with.

Seriously? It's the default found log for the Intro App. Are we to believe countless people are writing the exact same log on purpose?

At least it's full words. Better than TFTC.

Are you kidding? I much prefer "TFTC". "That’s one more find for me!" is such idiotic gloating it sets my teeth on edge.

That's exactly my response to it. I find it so cloying, that when it comes into my email box several times, I tend to chase the link and make the cache PMO.

It's hard for me to understand how Groundspeak could possibly think that "one more find for me!", with its the emphasis on the finder's numbers, no thanks to the cache owner, could possibly be an improvement over the original Intro App default log, which was a neutral statement of fact, and confused no one, "I found this geocache using the Geocaching Intro App."

I've seen multiple threads here by people wondering if "one more find for me!" is the new couch log, something they should delete, and my reviewer account responds via email to questions about the log at least once a month. I'd vastly prefer, "TFTC, via the Intro App".

That "one more find" language is used even on the first find.

Hey, maybe if headquarters changes the message slightly every week n00bs will seem to write better logs, still without having to do any work. <_<

OH YES I DO! It is the new language used with that & I confirmed it. Also note that people posting after my original post confirmed it as well.

At least it's full words. Better than TFTC.

Are you kidding? I much prefer "TFTC". "That’s one more find for me!" is such idiotic gloating it sets my teeth on edge.

It's especially laughable on the first find, & I've seen that situation. ;)

Looks like headquarters is perpetuating the numbers game. :o:(

OH YES I DO! It is the new language used with that & I confirmed it. Also note that people posting after my original post confirmed it as well.

Well, I have to say, at least it was very refreshing to see The WW defending Groundspeak, rather than, you know, not defending them. :ph34r:

That's one more point for you! Thanks so much for posting.

It's especially laughable on the first find, & I've seen that situation.

Yeah, I got one like that just yesterday. Well, I guess one find IS one more than zero 😜

There's no debate here.....the "one more find for me" thing is in fact the default log from the intro app. Just like "I couldn't find this Geocache, maybe I'll have better luck next time!" is the default DNF text. And yes, of course, you CAN go in and change the text if so inclined, but it seems some people either don't know that or can't be bothered.

Like I stated in another thread, many of the intro app users truly seem to think that Geocaching is completely an app-based game, like Angry Birds or something, and doesn't even have a web-based component. They think the app is the primary interface and the website is just there to complement the app, instead of the other way around. A lot of them have never even visited the site, so how would they even know that they're expected to write something? Can you even read previous logs with the Intro app?

Unless they have started caching with an experienced friend to show them the proper etiquette, or have taken enough interest in the game to actually visit the website, to them the object of the game is simply to find the box, click "Found", move on to the next.

It's hard for me to understand how Groundspeak could possibly think that "one more find for me!", with its the emphasis on the finder's numbers, no thanks to the cache owner, could possibly be an improvement....

No thanks to the cache owner??

"one more find for me!", with its the emphasis on the finder's numbers...

At least it's consistent with Groundspeak's evolution into embracing the numbers crowd. More caches, regardless of quality, translates directly to more $$$ for The Lily Pad. Those who care about pesky things like quality are the dinosaurs of this hobby.

Looks like headquarters is perpetuating the numbers game. :o:(

Yup. Numbers! Numbers! Numbers!

I keep expecting Groundspeak to hand out packs of 100 film cans as a reward for upgrading to Premium. It wouldn't take too much work for them to include an exacutable file which generates 100 GC numbers, cache names, (Clan Riffster's Lame Trail # 31), copy/paste write ups, and proposes hiding spots.

Hey, maybe if headquarters changes the message slightly every week n00bs will seem to write better logs, still without having to do any work. <_<

Maybe something more intellectually honest?

"I found your cache using the Intro App and I'm too lazy to change it"

I've actually got a thousand or so 35mm film canisters that I never used. They were given to me on Christmas Day 2006, along with my very 1st GPS to start geocaching. I quickly learned that I never wanted to use them. I kept them around while toying with the idea of making one giant trash can cache with only one canister being the cache itself. That is old news now, but I was thinking about it in '07. Now I'm considering having a bonfire event for the fellow anti-powertrail/urban micro spew camp.

I'm considering having a bonfire event for the fellow anti-powertrail/urban micro spew camp.

Woot! I was thinking of hosting some sort of "Death To Film Cans" event, with prizes awarded to the most creative methods, though the logistics still befuddle me. Maybe you could do something like that, and supply the film cans? Or, cram a grocery bag in them, slap a CITO label on them, and turn them into a signature item?

Maybe something more intellectually honest?

"I found your cache using the Intro App and I'm too lazy to change it"

I was thinking about something on the lines of "[Describe your experience finding the cache here]", but your suggestion works too...

I've actually got a thousand or so 35mm film canisters that I never used. They were given to me on Christmas Day 2006, along with my very 1st GPS to start geocaching. I quickly learned that I never wanted to use them. I kept them around while toying with the idea of making one giant trash can cache with only one canister being the cache itself. That is old news now, but I was thinking about it in '07. Now I'm considering having a bonfire event for the fellow anti-powertrail/urban micro spew camp.

You could, but the concept was first conceived of way back in 2005. This was actually an annual event, and got all the way up to IV (No. 4), but that one was archived on this website before it even happened, although it took place, but only listed on alternative Geocaching sites. Not that I drove 200 miles one way and stayed overnight for the 4th one or anything. :ph34r:

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the meeting where the Groundspeak lackeys decided on the wording to use.

I'm going to shock you here, Mr. T. I don't think the wording is too bad. I sort of interpret the "that's one more find for me" text as "Hey, I found another one. This isn't so hard after all. I can do this".

They did in fact listen to, and take action, based on input in this forum. They could have asked input for what the text should say here too, but they haven't done anything like that since about 2005. :P

I first saw a similar "Logged via xxxxxxxxxxx app for Android/iPhone" on another site three years ago.

Question: What happens when you log a DNF via iPhone with the Groundspeak app? :unsure:

Couldn't find it, so it's not there. Please Archive this cache.

Sorry I missed your comment. I was geocaching and came up DNF again on a cache I think is missing. :laughing: No joke.

You know .... it wasn't that long ago that I was a new geocacher. I didn't leave long logs at the time, because I didn't know I was supposed to do that. It took me quite a while to discover that people liked longer logs.

There are only two rules to geocaching, right? Sign the physical log, and trade even or better. Are we complaining because these automatic logs are a violation of a third unwritten rule about writing original and entertaining online logs?

Anyone think about sending an email to these novice cachers, introducing them to the idea of writing original logs for themselves? They may not even know they're violating this unwritten rule (if there is such a thing).

You know .... it wasn't that long ago that I was a new geocacher. I didn't leave long logs at the time, because I didn't know I was supposed to do that. It took me quite a while to discover that people liked longer logs.

There are only two rules to geocaching, right? Sign the physical log, and trade even or better. Are we complaining because these automatic logs are a violation of a third unwritten rule about writing original and entertaining online logs?

Anyone think about sending an email to these novice cachers, introducing them to the idea of writing original logs for themselves? They may not even know they're violating this unwritten rule (if there is such a thing).

Oh yes, I have tried this and have been slammed by those who I contacted. Every time. Gave up. I play the game the way I like to play and have given up trying to influence others unless they ask for advice or input.

I've emailed every new geocacher to my area (that is, new geocachers who log on my caches or caches I'm watching). I think.....I think out of about 30 emails I've received 2 back?

Of course, I've *tried* to email many more....but they have unvalidated emails :/

No, there's no "unwritten rule" about writing longer logs. It's just polite, I think. I believe that most folks who started out writing "TFTC" or "Found It", or just the default info app spew just because they don't know any better, change their tune once they start to hide their own caches and understand what it feels like to put all that effort into a hide and get a lame, meaningless log in return.

As far as contacting them for mentoring, well, as discussed in other threads, Intro app users are not required to provide a validated email address, so in many cases they CAN'T be contacted.

Joined in 2011. By any chance were these "short logs" thumbed out on a smartphone from the cache site? Because the next person I hear of who went home after finding a cache and typed "Tftc" on a computer will be the first. :P

Standard disclaimer that I have no problem with the apps, the people using them, or their accuracy. Only the people thumbing out lame logs (as defined by 2 words or less, most commonly Tftc) with them. :P

No, I'd NEVER send out an email. Most of the lame loggers log a few, and are never heard from again.

I'm going to shock you here, Mr. T. I don't think the wording is too bad. I sort of interpret the "that's one more find for me" text as "Hey, I found another one. This isn't so hard after all. I can do this".

In addition to the other complaints about the specific wording, the primary problem here is that no matter what the default log says, it's lying about the fact that the user said that. And the more folksy and casual it sounds, the more the app writer is intentionally trying to deceive us. The default log should be "No log provided" since that's the real situation. In particular, the expression of appreciation is just flat out insulting.

How you really should be interpreting the log is that it's the app writer that's celebrating the fact that another find can be attributed to the app. The user didn't say anything about anything.

Outside the context of geocaching there are no rules which tell us that we should be polite and considerate to others, yet many people are. It shouldn't be necessary to have a rule for geocachers to be polite and considerate either.

That's one more point for you! Thanks so much for posting.

The post was directly on point, and of course I needed to correct the "no proof" statement. It wasn't about points, it was about the accuracy of a statement about the central question of the thread. Oddly, everyone else who said the same thing didn't get a "no proof" comment. I sure you'll also be "thanking" the "no proof" commentator, right?

Well, I have to say, at least it was very refreshing to see The WW defending Groundspeak, rather than, you know, not defending them. :ph34r:

:o:grin:

I created a boilerplate message for these new cachers that I thought I could copy and paste and e-mail to them, explaining how unique logs are appreciated. Its only a few sentences though, and I dont know how effective it would be.

I created a boilerplate message for these new cachers that I thought I could copy and paste and e-mail to them, explaining how unique logs are appreciated. Its only a few sentences though, and I dont know how effective it would be.

Good idea, but since a large percentage of Intro app users are not reachable by email, and many (don't have any idea of how many are the same as the unvalidated email users) use their 3 caches, then maybe 3 more, and then never return again, I'm afraid it will be largely ineffective.