Team logging of virtual

captnemo

On my one remaining virtual cache I have had teams send in the required answers to the questions once then each team member then logs the cache as a find.

The problem is when one of the team logs their find weeks latter and I have to search back to find out if the questions were answered. This can take a lot time and usually involves serveral emails.

If I changed the logging requirments for the cache requiring each find to send in the answers would this be good idea? What do you think? :blink:

On my one remaining virtual cache I have had teams send in the required answers to the questions once then each team member then logs the cache as a find.

The problem is when one of the team logs their find weeks latter and I have to search back to find out if the questions were answered. This can take a lot time and usually involves serveral emails.

If I changed the logging requirments for the cache requiring each find to send in the answers would this be good idea? What do you think? :blink:

Well, the number of people around here who own a virtual cache has to be only slightly higher than the number of Charter Members around here. :P But there are plenty of Earthcache owners around here. It's actually pretty rare I see other members of the party saying "John Doe sent our answers". However, I don't think what you are asking would be out of line.

I'm guilty of doing that. My husband doesn't like logging caches, and I don't like logging for him. I have a hard enough time logging for myself, and I don't want to make up what I think he'd want to say in his log.

When I log virtuals or earthcaches, I say in the email that I'm sending in the info for both me and my husband. But it may take months for me to get around to logging for him. I feel kinda bad, but there it is. Heck, I even did that recently for my own log on an earthcache, I sent in the answers almost a month ago, and just logged my find yesterday.

At the same time, it feels silly for me to send the answers in separately. I'm the one who's logging for both of us, so sending in separate answers feels weird. I'd just be coping and pasting.

If you use a site like gmail, it shouldn't be hard for you to look up old emails. You just pop the username in the search bar and there it is.

I was with a group (four of us) on the last Block Party and we went down into Oregon for some caching. On the virtuals we found, we would list each member of your group and only one person sent the answers, I don't see a problem. It beats getting multiple emails with the same answers since we were all together are answers are going to all be the same anyway.

We did hit one snag. As you mentioned sometimes we don't all log at the same time. We did one virtual and one of us sent in the answers with the names of the cachers in our group. Two of us logged when we got to the hotel and the other two logged later. Problem was after two of us who logged in the virtual first the CO archived it stating too many cachers were logging in his virtual without being there. The two of us had pictures we took of the spot. But when the other two of our group tried they had their logs deleted. We all had sent emails explaining we were together on this trip and we had photos at other virtuals of us all together to prove it. The CO sent us a canned email back and refused to allow the other cachers to log it. We ended up having to appeal it and forced the CO to allow the logs.

If I changed the logging requirments for the cache requiring each find to send in the answers would this be good idea?

Is it really that important that someone might slip something past you? If they listed who sent the answers, and I found that other person did log a find, then I'd assume the claim was valid. Sure, it opens you up to the possibility of some bogus logs, but big deal. That's better than demanding everyone jump through hoops because you can't trust anyone.

On the other hand, if they aren't clear about who they're depending on, feel free to summarily delete their log. I don't think you have to spell clarity out in your description.

I was with a group (four of us) on the last Block Party and we went down into Oregon for some caching. On the virtuals we found, we would list each member of your group and only one person sent the answers, I don't see a problem. It beats getting multiple emails with the same answers since we were all together are answers are going to all be the same anyway.

We did hit one snag. As you mentioned sometimes we don't all log at the same time. We did one virtual and one of us sent in the answers with the names of the cachers in our group. Two of us logged when we got to the hotel and the other two logged later. Problem was after two of us who logged in the virtual first the CO archived it stating too many cachers were logging in his virtual without being there. The two of us had pictures we took of the spot. But when the other two of our group tried they had their logs deleted. We all had sent emails explaining we were together on this trip and we had photos at other virtuals of us all together to prove it. The CO sent us a canned email back and refused to allow the other cachers to log it. We ended up having to appeal it and forced the CO to allow the logs.

I know who this CO is.

He finally archived all his virtual caches last year. Go look it up, plenty of drama there. :ph34r:

Extremely generous of you to be honest. Usually one of the requirements is a photo of GZ with the GPS replacing the privacy intrusive - pic of you at GZ. So to be honest it's really relaxed of you to allow it. I would change it to each member. One earth cache near us requires you find a photograph a mineral in the area and identify it. No team logging there as they each have to supply a mineral. No mineral - no log. No GZ photo to prove you were there and didn't google image the answers - no log. It's kinda tragic that people do this but it does happen.

Our multies are not google solvable. We didn't mention that though and the audit trail suggest some have tried *snigger*

If I changed the logging requirments for the cache requiring each find to send in the answers would this be good idea?

Is it really that important that someone might slip something past you? If they listed who sent the answers, and I found that other person did log a find, then I'd assume the claim was valid. Sure, it opens you up to the possibility of some bogus logs, but big deal. That's better than demanding everyone jump through hoops because you can't trust anyone.

On the other hand, if they aren't clear about who they're depending on, feel free to summarily delete their log. I don't think you have to spell clarity out in your description.

+1

I get this from time to time with our earthcaches. A team of four cachers logged one of ours in September; one sent in the team answers and logged right away, two logged within a week, and one just logged his find within the last week (i.e., in February).

It's a little irritating, but I haven't changed my logging requirements.

This is the route I'd take--good suggestion. If they list the team leader, I'd let it slide, if they didn't, I'd ask for more info.

I would have made this a requirement from the start just to make my life easier. But would I change it after publication? Not necessarily.

If it only happened once in a while then I wouldn't sweat it. If it became a frequent issue due to proximity to a new power trail or some other factor(s) and became a big pain to deal with, then I think I would make the change by saying in the description something like, "All finds dated after 2/28/2014 MUST be accompanied by the required verification. Group verifications will no longer be accepted." so it does not affect anyone who found it before the change.

I also regularly cache in groups that average 15-20 people and we always designate one individual to submit the answer on behalf of the group. As a cache owner I appreciate a group designating one person to send in the answers for the entire group...rather get 1 email than 20. Also as a cache owner it would be my responsibility to keep track of who found my cache even if they log it 2 months later. Unless there is something really suspicious about their log, I think you need to give the cacher the benefit of the doubt that if they said they were there and found it, then they did. Cachers generally are a good bunch of people.

I think you are being unnecessarily harsh and clenched. Are you really seeing that many bogus couch finds on your virt? It looks like you are only getting a few finds per month and I saw only one find in some of the previous six months.

I suppose you could add a simple request to ask people who find it with a group to mention the name of the representative who submitted the proof in their logs if you felt the need.

Thanks to all who answered. This has been and continues a problem for me, have two I am working on now. I have decided to change the logging requirments to a seperate answer for each log. If you have time to log you have time to email.

The reason is to maintain the integrity of the cache as TPTB have removed caches where there has been arm chair logging. Over the years there have been at least 10 bogus logs that I have been forced to delete.

As has always been my practice I will email any logs before deleting them.

I'm guilty of doing that. My husband doesn't like logging caches, and I don't like logging for him. I have a hard enough time logging for myself, and I don't want to make up what I think he'd want to say in his log.

When I log virtuals or earthcaches, I say in the email that I'm sending in the info for both me and my husband. But it may take months for me to get around to logging for him.. I feel kinda bad, but there it is. Heck, I even did that recently for my own log on an earthcache, I sent in the answers almost a month ago, and just logged my find yesterday.

At the same time, it feels silly for me to send the answers in separately. I'm the one who's logging for both of us, so sending in separate answers feels weird. I'd just be coping and pasting.

If you use a site like gmail, it shouldn't be hard for you to look up old emails. You just pop the username in the search bar and there it is.

Just as 'Bro said, but flip the genders. Susancycle was there, she got the info same as I did. If she logs it now or logs it two years from now she is still eligible for the smiley because she made the find and I sent the info in one message (I add a comment that it is to save electrons) and signed both our names to the email. If and when it gets logged online it will have the correct date. I don't see the problem. If there is a photo requirement we put the required pic in the online log(s)

I'm sorry that captnemo has decided to adopt what, in our estimation is an inapproprate stance on this matter. What will you do if someone emails you the correct answers for a virtual and then doesn't get around to logging it online for two years?

When I log virtuals or earthcaches, I say in the email that I'm sending in the info for both me and my husband. But it may take months for me to get around to logging for him.. I feel kinda bad, but there it is. Heck, I even did that recently for my own log on an earthcache, I sent in the answers almost a month ago, and just logged my find yesterday.

Just as 'Bro said, but flip the genders. Susancycle was there, she got the info same as I did. If she logs it now or logs it two years from now she is still eligible for the smiley because she made the find and I sent the info in one message (I add a comment that it is to save electrons) and signed both our names to the email. If and when it gets logged online it will have the correct date. I don't see the problem. If there is a photo requirement we put the required pic in the online log(s)

I'm sorry that captnemo has decided to adopt what, in our estimation is an inapproprate stance on this matter. What will you do if someone emails you the correct answers for a virtual and then doesn't get around to logging it online for two years?

When someone emails the answers and logs the cache both are deleted from my email. If the find isn't logged in 5 days then the answer email goes into a file and is saved till the find is logged then both are deleted. If someone emails the answers and doesn't log for a long period, I email them to remind them to go ahead and log the find if they want.

To answer your question, if someone emails the answers and doesn't log for two years, no problem their email answers will be in that file waiting and they will have gotten a did you forget to log this email.

Maybe I'm naive. But I'm just not seeing all these bogus logs on my virts. But then again, maybe I'm not looking as hard. But with all the talk in the forums about armchair logging and German cachers, I've been surprised at how up and up the loggers for my virts seem to be.

Dont look too hard. You dont want to go against the sprint of the game. We are only having fun and when a CO is trying to keep his/her virtual(s) 100% armchair logging free, there is going to be problems. I view those cache owners a little on the tight up side of life. (I am saying this in a nice way) Its only a game and why try to follow the "laws" right down to the letters? They make geocaching not so much fun.

I dont cheat and I always take a pic of myself at GZ and yes, I have to deal with two CO so far that are not so nice to deal with. The answer was right, but didnt find any other caches in the general area. :blink: HELLO... I travel cross country a lot and I am in a hurry and cant cache that much so I target virtuals along the route because I like virtuals but I dont like virtual owners that are hard to deal with. Most virtual owners are wonderful, I mean, really awesome and most emailed me back.

If someone tells me they found my virtual with someone who sent the answer for him, his word is good enough for me.

Agreed. The problem is when someone says "These are the answers for team 12 people" without stating whose in "Team 12 people" and then someone from "Team 12 people" logs the cache without stating they are part of "Team 12 People"

Thanks to everyone for your input, time to close the thread.

Happy Geocaching