Pocket Queries in Waymarking

jhuoni

We are going to be taking a little road trip next weekend and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on how to map out waymarks along the way.

I know that if I were looking for geocaches, it would be an easy task. But "it is, what it is" and we don't have that type of option here.

Thanks.

We are going to be taking a little road trip next weekend and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on how to map out waymarks along the way.

I know that if I were looking for geocaches, it would be an easy task. But "it is, what it is" and we don't have that type of option here.

Thanks.

Come on...

No one has a suggestion? I know I am not the first person to take a trip and want to find a few waymarks on the way.

Not really pocket queries but what I had done in the past was to use the Google Earth button on the right side of home page. I would then zoom in on the route I was planning on driving and see what icons appear noting those that were interesting to me, I would open their page and download the gpx file for them. I have not used the google earth button for a while as I don't have google earth on my laptop at this time.

Edited by BruceS

The Google Earth button is handy, but you have to be aware of its limitations. There is an upper limit of how many waymarks are shown at a time. When you visit areas with many waymarks, you will end up with a random selection of what is really there.

The Google Earth button is handy, but you have to be aware of its limitations. There is an upper limit of how many waymarks are shown at a time. When you visit areas with many waymarks, you will end up with a random selection of what is really there.

Yes, but still Google Earth is best available way " how to map out waymarks along the way " so far. I don't know about better way.

Not really pocket queries but what I had done in the past was to use the Google Earth button on the right side of home page. I would then zoom in on the route I was planning on driving and see what icons appear noting those that were interesting to me, I would open their page and download the gpx file for them. I have not used the google earth button for a while as I don't have google earth on my laptop at this time.

I really didn't understand what you were talking about in your message. Then I looked on the side bar and saw OTHER SERVICES - Google Earth. I never paid much attention to that button.

I'm glad you pointed it out - that is EXACTLY what I needed! It isn't a (geocaching) PQ, but at least I can run along a route and see what is there. I was really worried the only way I was going to be able to do what I wanted was to search each town along a route and then download the .gpx for a waymark.

You know, Bruce, you (or SOMEONE) should write a "Useful Tips" forum. Just to jump up on my soapbox for a moment, the first thing to tackle would be "So You Want To Create a Category" - that one needs to be explained a whole lot better than it is. rolleyes.gif

The Getting Started With Waymarking forum is great, If there were a whole bunch of PINNED FAQ's right up at the top maybe new (and seasoned) waymarkers MIGHT read them and gain knowledge about how things work around here. It's just a thought.

Thanks again for all you do around here!

I like the Google Earth view via WM as well, you can find 150 WM at a time. I'm using GSAK to store WM before I upload them to my GPSr. The cumbersome loading of a few WM via GPX made me think, is it not possible to save those WM views from Google and load them into GSAK. This resulted in two GSAK macro's. One to load KMZ / KML files into GSAK and one to post process this loading (and of GPX loading) and mark those as just-loaded, found or posted. I can now keep track on my posted, found and not-found WMs via GSAK.

Unfortunate you have no information about your found/posted WMs via Google Earth (GE). However, you can start with all your posted WM via your Profile page 'Waymark List'. Mark them as Posted. Then you have to load all your found WMs via GPX load unfortunate. When these two steps are finished you can add WMs via GE in sets of 150. Note that you keep the import option on not to change any already loaded WM (or Waymarks as called in GSAK).

The two macros can be found here WaymarkImportKMZ and WaymarkPostProcessLoadGpx.