Anyone Take a Netbook Caching?

BikeBill

Does anyone take a netbook along on caching excursions? Used ones running Windows are pretty cheap and they’d be easier to pack then a full-size laptop. I figured that I could run both Groundspeak and GSAK, then hotspot the netbook to my iPhone to get it online. I could load caches to my GPS from the netbook if I ran into any in the field that I didn’t have pre-loaded. Is anyone doing this, and if so, how does it work out for you?

Sooo- you are taking a netbook to connect to the internet via your iPhone, so you can download caches to your GPS. Do you happen to work the the department of redundancy depart? Not only can you use the iPhone to find caches without downloading anything, why would you? You say

I could load caches to my GPS from the netbook if I ran into any in the field that I didn’t have pre-loaded
You will probably know where you are going ahead of time. Why not all the caches in that area? For the times when you get the random urge to cache, you can use your iPhone, or load all the caches in that city, and run a PQ for all those, every week to keep the info up to date.

It would work, but it's too much redundancy to have 3 device that can have cache info on them. Just not worth it, to get a dedicated setup. I know people who do that, but they have laptops in their vehicles anyway for work, and they don't have to pay to connect them to the internet. Or for the computer, or for the gas for those on call. That must be nice, to get paid while geocahcing :anitongue:

I travel with a netbook for just that. The comment about using my phone to cache doesn't work for me since almost all caching is done on my bike or hiking and the much discussed issues about ruggedness, battery life and screen visibility apply.

I am gone for months at a time and am not sure of exactly where I will be on the trip.

Then there are the logs. Most phone logs contain four letters or less. I like to do better than that.

I save the tracks from my Garmin that are over 20 miles biking or 10 miles hiking to Garmin connect. The phone battery on my S4 can't do that and with the tracking program on dies at about four hours.

Solving puzzles in the new location and entering the new coords on the website.

Lots of reasons to take a netbook.

Walts Hunting and Red90: Thanks for the helpful replies! I hadn't even given thought to logging finds and you are right, I rarely like to do it on my iPhone. However, until I get home I sometimes forget some interesting details. Being able to log in the field with a real keyboard would be a plus.

Red, I also have a DeLorme USB GPS that would run on a netbook.

I've seen used netbooks in my area in the $100 range. I'm holding out for one with Win 7 loaded instead of XP, which many of the older ones have. People are switching to tablets and getting rid of their netbooks.

Edited by bikebill77

I bought the netbook so I could take gsak with me wherever I go. I did a little cache run on my bicycle this morning and found 50 caches. Having the netbook allowed me to log all of them easily. Granted it was the same log but it was a power trail so I don't think the CO will care.

Having the API interface available where ever I am is wonderful.

I only take a netbook along when caching out of the country for an extended period. Gives me both a chance to check cache status before I venture out for tough ones, and gives me something to use to log caches as well. Overseas, there's no way I'd be able to use (or afford the minutes, even if was a tri-band!) my smart phone for any of that.

I bought the netbook so I could take gsak with me wherever I go. I did a little cache run on my bicycle this morning and found 50 caches. Having the netbook allowed me to log all of them easily. Granted it was the same log but it was a power trail so I don't think the CO will care.

Having the API interface available where ever I am is wonderful.

But you can do the same thing with any of the apps and carry a smaller device. Or log them all on your GPS and then log them at geocaching.com with GSAK or fieldnotes when you get home. All of the issues with ruggedness and battery life apply to netbooks, maybe even moreso than a phone. It just seems to cumbersome to stash a computer in your backpack to take on the trail or on your bike. Plus, you run into the same issues of connectivity. If you don't have cell service in the woods, you won't have a wifi connection either.

I bring my computer when I go traveling. I'll log finds and run PQ's at the hotel or at a coffee shop. But while actively caching, I rarely even bring up the phone unless I need to reference more than 5 logs in the PQ. Most of the time I'm out of service anyway.

I used to take either a net book or laptop with me on trips. But these days I use an iphone caching app as a database, take a much smaller device (mobilelite) to transfer anything directly to my gpsr should I want to use that, and log or upload photos with either my phone or ipad. It's simplified life a little, especially when traveling overseas. If I am going to carry anything extra with me, I would rather it be a camera.

I bought a netbook (instead of a tablet) specifically for the reasons you mention.... Being able to have GSAK on it and the ability to transfer PQ's onto the GPS (if needed). We always load our GPS's with PQ's prior to going on vacation. The netbook was always a backup and we've never actually needed to use it while on vacation (other than the usual mail, internet, etc). But ...if we ever went somewhere and didn't have a PQ for any given area - we could easily whip up a PQ online and download it into the GPS all from the hotel room.

But yeah..... A netbook with windows 7 and USB is more geocaching friendly out in the field than trying to use a tablet to do the same thing.

Edited by Lieblweb

Well, I picked up an Asus Netbook for $90 that I saw on CL. The usual story: The owner got a tablet and didn't need the netbook anymore. It has a 10.1" screen, dual core Atom processor and Windows 7 Starter. It's pretty much what I was looking for. It does Wi-Fi well (and tethers via my iPhone's hotspot) and has lots of USB ports. Cute little thing but is slow as molasses compared to what I''m used to, so I ordered a RAM upgrade to get it from one to its max of two GB. If that doesn't speed things up I have a good SSD drive sitting around. I also ordered a 12V power adapter.

I think this will work out. I loaded GSAK and bookmarked all the appropriate Geocaching sites. I even logged a cache with it today!

Regarding a previous poster's comment about loading all caches in the GPSr before leaving for a caching trek: I try to do this, but any number of times we ventured out of the planned area. As my 60CSx holds a limited number of caches, too many times I've ended up caching with the iPhone. This works pretty well but I prefer the Garmin, which generally locks on GZ quicker. Often I manually enter the coords from the iPhone to the Garmin, a tedious procedure.

Lieblweb makes a good point about trying to use a tablet with the GPS. I have a Nexus 7 and it just doesn't work at all with the Garmin. I tried.

Thanks for all the valuable input! Any further hints/tips/ideas for netbook use would be appreciated.

The 60CSx can hold an unlimited number of caches as custom points of interest; there are GSAK macros to expedite that. (Unlimited in theory, practical limit in the tens of thousands.)

Doing that, I *can* fill up the unit with every conceivable cache when I go somewhere, and indeed I also carry a netbook, one just like you describe, for GSAK and MapSource. It stays in the hotel room, where I appreciate having a real keyboard for writing my long-winded logs.

Does anyone take a netbook along on caching excursions?

I often have my Macbook Air along when I am caching far from home. If I go to a new area, I use my phone as a hotspot, pick interesting-looking caches from the interactive map, and upload them to the GPS.

The phone-based geocaching app is really quite inadequate to the task.

But I don't take the computer along on the hikes!

I do. I run a USB GPS on it as well. They are quite cheap. You have so many options when running a netbook that you can't do with a portable device.

Like what?

I said a bunch of things there. Which are you asking about?

If you are asking about the GPS. I'm using a Globalsat MR-350, which is perfect for my needs.

Their latest regular USB puck: http://www.gpscity.com/us-globalsat-bu-353-s4-sirf-star-iv-usb-cable-gps.html

Edited by Red90

I do. I run a USB GPS on it as well. They are quite cheap. You have so many options when running a netbook that you can't do with a portable device.

Like what?

I said a bunch of things there. Which are you asking about?

If you are asking about the GPS. I'm using a Globalsat MR-350, which is perfect for my needs.

Their latest regular USB puck: http://www.gpscity.com/us-globalsat-bu-353-s4-sirf-star-iv-usb-cable-gps.html

What can the netbook do that a tablet can't. That was the question I'm asking. Personally, there is only one thing an iPad can't do that my laptop did and now I think the Windows8 tablet can (that is run DeLorme StreetAtlas navigation program).

You can run any Windows program. Tablets are quite limited in the programs that are available. You can run any mapping program with any maps, things like GSAK, etc.. And a netbook is cheaper than an Android 7" tablet and MUCH cheaper than an iPad.

TheWeatherWarrior asked: <<What can the netbook do that a tablet can't.>>

Like Red90 said, they can run GSAK. They can also talk to and transfer gpx files with a Garmin GPS, which my Nexus 7 tablet can't do.

Edit: I just noticed you specifically mentioned a Win 8 tablet. That would probably work with GSAK and gpx transfer to GPS receivers, being Windows. If you have an Android or iOS tablet, though, you're out of luck.

Edited by bikebill77

GSAK and MapSource. (I like planning tomorrow's caching run in MapSource when I'm travelling.) If not for those two apps, I'd be able to ditch Windows entirely from my Netbook. I already shoved Windows off to the side and installed a lightweight flavor of Linux for dual-boot, and it's much zippier than Windows.

For my next trip, I'll be carrying an eReader in the field, waterproofed in my backpack. I've loaded all the relevant cache info from GSAK (HTML export), and am looking forward to having that info available, readable even in bright sunlight. I don't think tablet technology is there yet, but e-ink rocks for outdoor readability.

Like Red90 said, they can run GSAK. They can also talk to and transfer gpx files with a Garmin GPS, which my Nexus 7 tablet can't do.

Edit: I just noticed you specifically mentioned a Win 8 tablet. That would probably work with GSAK and gpx transfer to GPS receivers, being Windows. If you have an Android or iOS tablet, though, you're out of luck.

Not quite out of luck. I am thinking about doing a hike tomorrow for three earthcaches and wanted to see what else was in the area. So I checked using a live search on the iOS app I use, looked at what puzzles I had solved nearby and exported the combined GPX file to my garmin gpsr. I am not sure how much I will be using it since I earthcache with the phone, but just in case. . . .

I wanted to be sure my planned route was feasible, so I checked the cache location on the terrain and trail maps - and the weather for the area. Then I noticed that there was a new Wherigo nearby. I loaded the cartridge into that app as well.

Except for GSAK, which I rarely use anymore since the caching app maintains various databases and filters pocket queries or live searches, I am not sure what I am missing by not carrying a netbook.

Now I have to decide whether to do the hike. There is an app where you can ask Stalin questions like that, but I have not been able to think of any reason to ask a dictator rather than trust my own judgment.

If I end up using the gpsr, I will download the field notes back into the ipad along with any pictures and write my logs from there.

In the end, it does not matter what you use, as long as it works for you.

Edited by geodarts

Lieblweb makes a good point about trying to use a tablet with the GPS. I have a Nexus 7 and it just doesn't work at all with the Garmin. I tried.

It depends on the tablet.

I have an Acer Iconia A210 tablet (with full-sized USB port) and am able to download PQs and put them on my GPSMAP 62s and eTrex 20 without any issues.

That's what I plan on using when I attend a Mega event this summer.

It depends on the tablet.

I have an Acer Iconia A210 tablet (with full-sized USB port) and am able to download PQs and put them on my GPSMAP 62s and eTrex 20 without any issues.

That's what I plan on using when I attend a Mega event this summer.

It also depends on the gpsr. Bikebill77 has a 60csx, which is a great unit but does not support GPX files. So if I still had that (a sad story), I would have gone with his solution and used a netbook for traveling. GSAK was a lot more important to me when I had one of those.

I've used a Linux netbook for all my caching needs for years. MapSource runs nicely under wine (one of these days I'm going to take a look at QLandkarte), and OpenCacheManager does for all my GSAK like needs. I'll often stuff the netbook in the pack if I'm going far afield or if I'm doing several earthcaches. For earthcaches that require gathering a lot of answers it can be very handy to be able to record the information right in the cache listing in OCM. I'm toying with the idea of setting up a local tile server on the netbook so that OCM would have maps even in the middle of nowhere. But right now I can export the caches to MapSource if I want to look at things on a larger map in the field.

Hi vdD.

Just last week I installed QLandkarte on the Linux half of the netbook (goal: view my Garmin maps on the bigger screen, with cache waypoints), but got nowhere slowly. I don't have time for this, so I'm still stuck switch-booting into Windows for MapSource. Though actually, with the quality of GC.com's own maps nowadays, I probably won't miss MapSource. Nor Google Earth (Linux version), which just complains about my netbook hardware. Nor Google Earth (Windows version), which works but just doesn't feel right on such a tiny screen.

Oh, and if I try to use the netbook (a typical Acer) in the field, in sunlight, all I see is fingerprints. That's why it stays in the dimly lit indoors.

MapSource works with Wine, you say... Hmm.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Hi VP

I've only run into a few quirks running MapSource with Wine.

* Nothing with a GPS works. So no transferring maps, etc. But that's not what I want to use it for (and there's way easier ways to do that with a 62s anyhow), so I don't care.

* Opening up a Waypoint Properties dialog brings up a "Please enter a waypoint name" dialog - twice.

* Closing a Waypoint Properties dialog often switches me to another window.

* Whenever I open a Track window, MS forgets the track name.

Other than that, everything pretty much Just Works. Even printing maps. You can install extra maps in MS just as you normally would. I have OSM, Southern Alberta trail maps, the Northwest trail maps, and Ibycus' topo maps installed.

Even FizzyCalc runs under Wine, which can be very handy at times!

Not quite out of luck. I am thinking about doing a hike tomorrow for three earthcaches and wanted to see what else was in the area. So I checked using a live search on the iOS app I use, looked at what puzzles I had solved nearby and exported the combined GPX file to my garmin gpsr. I am not sure how much I will be using it since I earthcache with the phone, but just in case. . . .

How did you transfer the gpx to your Garmin? It has been the subject of much discussion and as far as I know requires an airhub router with a usb port. iOS prohibits the attaching of a device as a mass storage device. No one on this forum has said it could be done as easily as you mention. I would love to do it from my iPad without all the other hardware.

Please share.

Overseas, there's no way I'd be able to use (or afford the minutes, even if was a tri-band!) my smart phone for any of that.

Overseas, get a local sim card.

You've got 1/2 of the equation covered. Unless you have a phone that is both GSM and happens to be tri-band (we don't share all of the same frequencies with EU GSM infrastructure) tossing a local SIM into the phone won't make it operate any better.
.How did you transfer the gpx to your Garmin? It has been the subject of much discussion and as far as I know requires an airhub router with a usb port. iOS prohibits the attaching of a device as a mass storage device. No one on this forum has said it could be done as easily as you mention. I would love to do it from my iPad without all the other hardware.

Walt - "All the other hardware" consists of exactly ONE gadget that fits in a shirt pokcet - and can serve as a backup battey if you're not using it as a wireless hub. You're already carrying a tablet, a GPS, a USB cable, maybe some spare batteries and a charger, right?

Although... It's possible Geodarts has one of them new fangled Garmins with Bluetooth that can transfer files to/from iOS devices and has figgered out how to get Basecamp Mobile to work for that. I haven't gotten that far myself yet. Maybe THAT's a subject for a thread of its own, imstead of derailing BikingBill's netbook discussion.

Edited by user13371

How did you transfer the gpx to your Garmin? It has been the subject of much discussion and as far as I know requires an airhub router with a usb port. iOS prohibits the attaching of a device as a mass storage device. No one on this forum has said it could be done as easily as you mention. I would love to do it from my iPad without all the other hardware.

Please share.

That is my system. I plug the gpsr into Mobilelite, as my first post on this thread mentioned. It is about the size of the phone so I can stash it into a pack and transfer anything from the iphone to the gpsr while "in the field." It also reads sd cards, can charge the phone in an emergency, and acts as a general access point so I dont have to switch between wifi networks. For me, it's quicker than starting up a netbook or laptop and less bulky to carry - if I have to plug the gpsr into something, it is easy enough so that I use it at home with the phone or iPad to load my gpsr.

My GPSr supports Garmin Basecamp mobile (or vice versa), so I could use that to transfer caches from a gpx file as waypoints without Mobilelite. Unfortunately, it does not transfer them as caches with all the paperless information or upload field notes from the gpsr.

If I used GSAK as my main database to create gpx files (or load a unit that did not directly support the gpx format), I would use a laptop or netbook - as I used to do. But I started from the standpoint of how to minimize things using a particular caching app (Geosphere) to create gpx files. So perhaps the difference has more to do with the starting point rather than any issue about how to get the resulting information to the gpsr.

When we were shopping for something (tablet or whatever) - we read similar threads to this one, where folks are giving feedback back-n-forth that some tablets do this, others do that but won't do this, you need this-that-and-the-other thing to make it work - but YOU CAN MAKE IT WORK. Sure - you can make them work.

I decided to go with a netbook that had the exact same operating system as my home computer. Not only is it easy to work with the GPS but it also works perfectly with everything else in the house (home network, other computers, etc).

I have a Kindle for the little things ....reading, cooking...etc.

...never heard of the Mobilelite device.

I hadn't either before Geodarts mentioned it :D.

But I use a presumably similar gadget -- http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower®-FileHub-Wireless-3000mAh-Battery/dp/B00AQUMZRA -- to transfer files between my iPad and my GPS - and a few other purposes. Though useful (and small) as it is, it is indeed an extra piece of gear to carry around if you want to do that in the field.

Edited by user13371

ECAmderson - what kind of phone do you have now, and in which countries would it be helpful to you to have it working?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (similar to S3) on Sprint, but it is NOT a GSM phone, much less a tri-band GSM phone, so it's inoperable in Europe. It does seem to work well in other countries (and cruise ships) with CDMA coverage.

Those with GSM based phones here in the U.S. (for AT&T, as an example) are more than likely to run into service issues in Europe due to the difference in frequencies being used for GSM. That said, it is possible to purchase a 'tri-band' phone that will manage GSM in both North America and Europe, but they cost more, and are the exception.

Those with GSM based phones here in the U.S. (for AT&T, as an example) are more than likely to run into service issues in Europe

Interesting. Wife and I have both carried various unlocked USA purchased AT&T devices, phones and tablets, at different times in England -- picked up appropriate SIM cards from local cellphone providers there on each trip, without problem. Should be interesting when Jill visits her Mum in April with her new iPhone 5c. It's unlocked and configured to get data as a tablet rather than as a phone (see also <http://unlockit.co.nz>).

Of course, my mother-in-law would scoff at the suggestion that England is part of Europe :D

Edited by user13371

Providing one is prepared to use WiFi, there's no issue. That's possible on many phones. However, using the cellular network there with a NAM GSM phone DOES require either luck or planning.

Here in NAM, we use 850MHz / 1900MHz (Canada using primarily 1900).

In Europe, they use 900MHz / 1800MHz (900 dominating).

It's like taking a radio that is designed to tune one set of frequencies into a place where they use another set altogether.

Yes, there are certainly GSM phones designed to handle frequencies on both sides of the pond, but there are many more that will not, they're not by any means the 'default' you'll get when ordering a phone, and will cost more than their domestic-only equivalent. Just knowing the basic model won't help you, either. For example, you may own a Samsung Galaxy S3. Does it support European frequencies? Maybe yes, maybe no. There are all kinds of flavors of the S3 out there, including those that don't operate on GSM at all!

Don't believe yet? Here's the scoop directly from NAM's primary GSM provider, AT&T:

---------------------------------------------------------

Q. What is a GSM world phone?

A. GSM world phones are devices that operate on international frequencies. These can include "tri-band" phones/devices (which operate on three of the four GSM frequencies) and "quad-band" phones/devices (which operate on all four of the GSM frequencies).

GSM networks in North and South America operate at frequencies of 850 or 1900 MHz, while most networks in other countries operate at frequencies of 900 or 1800 MHz. AT&T also offers phones that operate on 3G technology at 2100 MHz to roam in Japan and South Korea. AT&T recommends quad band phones/devices for most international travelers. Since these wireless devices operate on all four of the international GSM frequencies, you ensure the broadest international coverage available.

I used to take either a net book or laptop with me on trips. But these days I use an iphone caching app as a database, take a much smaller device (mobilelite) to transfer anything directly to my gpsr should I want to use that, and log or upload photos with either my phone or ipad. It's simplified life a little, especially when traveling overseas. If I am going to carry anything extra with me, I would rather it be a camera.

if i understand you, you use your iphone and some other hardware to tranfer caches to your gpsR? i would like to know what app allows you to do that. (or tweak) unless i read that wrong and that is not what you are doing.

The 60CSx can hold an unlimited number of caches as custom points of interest; there are GSAK macros to expedite that. (Unlimited in theory, practical limit in the tens of thousands.)

Doing that, I *can* fill up the unit with every conceivable cache when I go somewhere, and indeed I also carry a netbook, one just like you describe, for GSAK and MapSource. It stays in the hotel room, where I appreciate having a real keyboard for writing my long-winded logs.

if you don't mind, i would like to know what these macro's are. and any other ones you would recommend.

Does anyone take a netbook along on caching excursions? Used ones running Windows are pretty cheap and they’d be easier to pack then a full-size laptop. I figured that I could run both Groundspeak and GSAK, then hotspot the netbook to my iPhone to get it online. I could load caches to my GPS from the netbook if I ran into any in the field that I didn’t have pre-loaded. Is anyone doing this, and if so, how does it work out for you?

I have a netbook running XP and you described how I use it. I use GSAK and may have as many as 40 databases ready for use on a long trip. I can load my handhelds and Nuvi's right in the field.

I did a test run today with the new/used netbook. I found myself about 15 miles from home and was a couple miles from a new cache that I had yet to load in my GPS. So I fired up the netbook, tethered it to the iPhone and found the cache on the Geocaching map page. I could have transferred the .gpx file right to the Garmin via the cache page, but that makes the cache show up as its GC number instead of its name. So I moved the cache to GSAK and then loaded it on the GPS. It all took a few minutes, but was less aggravating than inputting the coords into the GPS manually. I’m pleased! Found the cache, too.

Bamboozle - I'm somewhat of a rookie with GSAK and only run a single database. I can see the advantage to having multiple databases like you do, though. Good tip!

Edited by bikebill77

yes...please don't break up the thread. Lots of great resources in one thread.

GPS wise, for your laptop and even netbooks, highly recommend using the Globalsat BU353 or whatever is the latest version of that. Almostly exclusively the one used by chasers with there.

Also, Franson GPSgate works for com port emulation if you need to have multiple programs run from one GPS. Again, used by chasers.