Empty and short logs

Geovius

TFTC or DNF is acceptable. Find the cache, sign the log. Trade up or even.

Logs of that type are certainly legitimate if the log book was signed. However, I wonder whether such a log can be viewed as

"Trade up or even". I know that the slogan usually refers to the trading stuff, but one also could view it in terms of the effort spent.

If someone just writes a "TFTC" log for a cache into which the cache owner invested hours of work, this is not what I regard as "even or up".

There are those who believe that a log containing only "TFTC", or less, is equivalent to saying "this cache s.... stinks". However, they found the cache, signed the log book, and therefore get to claim the find. Deleting such an online log only opens the door for drama and angst between the finder and CO, and GS is going to side with the finder.

Is it acceptable or proper etiquette to mark your find with short logs, I.e; "." or tftc

That's two different questions.

Is it acceptable? The only governing agency, (so to speak), in this hobby is Groundspeak. They have decided that it is acceptable. The other issue, etiquette, speaks to what each of us, as individuals, believes should be done. I find an acronym only log to be mildly insulting. If I spend several months creating a hide, and someone posts a "TFTC", it feels like a letdown. Snoogans described my issue in his most excellent 'Tree of Angst' thread, pointing out that the problem is on my end, having to do with unrealistic expectations and a poorly suppressed sense of entitlement. Still, if I'm being honest with myself, these logs still bum me out.

Edited by Clan Riffster

I hate those type logs but would never delete them. I usually check to see if they have any hides and MOST of the time they have none. If they do they are usually power trail type hides or LPC's. I put a lot of work into making up my containers and hides. I get a little annoyed at that kind of log but nothing I can do about lazy cachers. I don't leave those type of logs even on the lamest caches. If nothing else I tell why I am in the area or about the muggles or SOMETHING. Even a pill bottle on a guard rail took time to place, write up, and maintain. Think it deserves a little bit of a log for my smiley.

I think it depends on the cache. I am very much in the camp "TFTC" log = poor cache. If I go out and find a cache and it is simply a pill bottle under a bush, guard rail, lamp post and is not unique in any way or bring me somewhere that "In my opinion" is nothing special then it will not get a decent log. It takes only seconds to place a LPC, guard rail, etc so it will only take sec for me to make a log. Now if the cache takes me somewhere with a view, unique container, some effort in the cache design then it deserves a good log.

Just my opinion.

There are those who believe that a log containing only "TFTC", or less, is equivalent to saying "this cache s.... stinks". However, they found the cache, signed the log book, and therefore get to claim the find. Deleting such an online log only opens the door for drama and angst between the finder and CO, and GS is going to side with the finder.

While I'm more known for my long logs, I hate that people see "TFTC" as a kind of poor ettiquette or insult to a cache owner. Some are just shy, some may not write well, while others just don't have a lot of time. I've meet some GREAT geocachers at events and such and they have left TFTC logs at times.

If you are worried or desire more lengthy logs, you can always ASK, just do so politely. You could put a sentence in your cache's page that says something along the lines of "Not required, but I really enjoy longer longs. Please, feel free to leave a comment about your caching experience beyond TFTC, but always appreciate any finders visit.".

We used to get ticked with TFTC, smileys and one, every cache he hit had "Bam!" on it, but now we just consider the source.

- These are probably the same people who don't send Grandma a thank you card for the Christmas cash she sent. Too busy wrapped up in themselves to bother.

I often wonder of those who claim to be in the TFTC = poor cache camp, leaving a short note as a "reward" for caches worthy.

- Some have many favorites on their own hides with TFTC logs intermingled. How does that fit in the plan?

Whether we like it or not, Groundspeak has decided that whatever they write is okay, as shown by appeals.

- Often the new log "." is replaced with a TFTC. :)

I hate those type logs but would never delete them. I usually check to see if they have any hides and MOST of the time they have none.

Excellent point. It's extremely rare to see a Tftc logger who has any hides of their own, and it's even rarer they have attended any Geocaching Events. Like it or not, it's a "clueless newbie thing". Such logs came out of absolutely nowhere when the smartphone apps came out in 2009/2010. If you can find a Tftc log from 2008 or earlier, it's about as rare as a Tftc logger who has hidden a cache. :laughing:

That being said, even I'm not a big enough meanie to delete a Tftc log from an innocent new smartphone user. But the few who slip through the cracks, and continue to log that way after hundreds or even thousands of finds, and hiding caches and attending events? Those I'd like to delete. :ph34r:

Any log that is a period, or random number or something like that gets deleted without explanation. I will assume its a mistake, and delete it o keep up maintanance in the online log.

Bad idea, because I suspect most of them are doing it on purpose. And I also speculate many have no clue that their "period log" they so eloquently enter on their smartphone is being uploaded to a website for all to see. :)

Any log that is a period, or random number or something like that gets deleted without explanation. I will assume its a mistake, and delete it o keep up maintanance in the online log.

Curious whether you've actually had any yet, whether the finder appealed and what transpired when you received the "It's allowed" letter.

- So far any we deleted were folks with no validated email, no never were faced with an appeal.

Is it acceptable or proper etiquette to mark your find with short logs, I.e; "." or tftc

Is it acceptable? The only governing agency, (so to speak), in this hobby is Groundspeak. They have decided that it is acceptable. The other issue, etiquette, speaks to what each of us, as individuals, believes should be done. I find an acronym only log to be mildly insulting. If I spend several months creating a hide, and someone posts a "TFTC", it feels like a letdown. Snoogans described my issue in his most excellent 'Tree of Angst' thread, pointing out that the problem is on my end, having to do with unrealistic expectations and a poorly suppressed sense of entitlement. Still, if I'm being honest with myself, these logs still bum me out.

Delete the "." until the finder contacts Groundspeak and the force you to reinstate the log. TFTC is acceptable, "." is not. :anibad: Yes, tftc did once mean "your cache stinks". Today we boldly complain on the cache page that in fact, YOUR CACHE STINKS!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

As I see it there are several reasons why people post empty or short (e.g. solely consisting of an acronym) log

1. The finder doesn't feel that the cache deserves anything more than what is minimally required.

2. The finder doesn't know any better. Typically, it would be a new cacher that sees lots of TFTC logs or uses an app that posts a default log, thinks "that's how it's supposed to be done", and isn't aware that many if not most cache owners (and cache log readers) appreciate seeing something more.

3. The finder knows that cache owners appreciate more but they're too lazy to write anything more than what is minimally required.

4. The finder knows that cache owners appreciate more but they're selfish (e.g. finding and logging as many caches as possible is more important than property thanking those that hide caches for everyone to find).

The problem is that an empty or short log doesn't provide any reason why it was posted. What I have found is that if cache gets a mix of longer, descriptive logs and empty/short logs that the people writing the longer longs tend to write long, unique logs for every cache they find and the people that write the empty/short logs tend to write empty/short logs for all of their finds. In other words, I think the size of the log correlates more with the tendencies of the finder than the quality of the cache.

I think it depends on the cache. I am very much in the camp "TFTC" log = poor cache. If I go out and find a cache and it is simply a pill bottle under a bush, guard rail, lamp post and is not unique in any way or bring me somewhere that "In my opinion" is nothing special then it will not get a decent log. It takes only seconds to place a LPC, guard rail, etc so it will only take sec for me to make a log. Now if the cache takes me somewhere with a view, unique container, some effort in the cache design then it deserves a good log.

Just my opinion.

Some people use that log out of laziness, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the cache. All that "TFTC" communicates is that the cacher is a lousy logger.

Some people write

TFTC!!
. Now what the heck does that mean? This cache really sucks more than a usual TFTC? Or this was great, but they do not know how to type, don't care, or are in a hurry? Then what? The people that write TFTC as an intended insult see that in the logs and get confused? The fact is that the more caches there are, the more people are going to do, and the likelihood of a short or copy and paste log increases. If you really did not like the hide, why are you thanking them anyway? I don't understand the need for the acronym anyhow, as writing the word "Thanks" is only 2 characters longer and not redundant. Do you really have to indicate you are thanking them for the cache?

I've just started adding this text to the cache page.

**NOTE** I can't require it, but I would like to request that your logs not say only "TFTC" or "Found using the free Geocaching Intro App" or other such wording. Make it your own...be original! And so you don't have to say "TFTC"...I'll go ahead and say "YWFTC" (you're welcome for the cache).

It's about all one can really do.

I would never delete a log like those described. Not do I take it personally. The only thing I can do is to make sure that any container I place is one that I would enjoy finding. I don't expect thanks, but I hope the finder enjoyed it. If they didn't, or if their log is only four letters or a cut and paste, it is just a reflection on them that I can easily ignore. But yes, etiquette would require more.

As I see it there are several reasons why people post empty or short (e.g. solely consisting of an acronym) log

1. The finder doesn't feel that the cache deserves anything more than what is minimally required.

2. The finder doesn't know any better. Typically, it would be a new cacher that sees lots of TFTC logs or uses an app that posts a default log, thinks "that's how it's supposed to be done", and isn't aware that many if not most cache owners (and cache log readers) appreciate seeing something more.

3. The finder knows that cache owners appreciate more but they're too lazy to write anything more than what is minimally required.

4. The finder knows that cache owners appreciate more but they're selfish (e.g. finding and logging as many caches as possible is more important than property thanking those that hide caches for everyone to find).

The problem is that an empty or short log doesn't provide any reason why it was posted. What I have found is that if cache gets a mix of longer, descriptive logs and empty/short logs that the people writing the longer longs tend to write long, unique logs for every cache they find and the people that write the empty/short logs tend to write empty/short logs for all of their finds. In other words, I think the size of the log correlates more with the tendencies of the finder than the quality of the cache.

Nicely put! As an owner, don't sweat it if someone doesn't post much, it only reflects them not your cache. As a finder, keep in mind you are being judged by your post... better use that spell-check :unsure: .

Yep.

I would naturally assume it is a mistake. The next move would be up to the period logger, but they likely wouldn't be bothered.

While I find a TFTC only log to be insulting, I leave it alone because they are sort of saying thanks.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Curious whether you've actually had any yet, whether the finder appealed and what transpired when you received the "It's allowed" letter.

- So far any we deleted were folks with no validated email, no never were faced with an appeal.

I've had one period, and a couple random single letters. I deleted them. They had never been re-logged. While there are no real restrictions on what has to be contained in a log, except for the whole no spoilers, and keep it PG, I would imagine that GS would use their discretion. You wouldn't expect GS to force me to accept a found it log saying that they did not find the cache, or that it should be archived, so why would I keep a log that doesn't say anything at all?

There was the one time when there was some gibberish in the found it log, and I figured it was an honest mistake, so I contacted the cacher. Turns out they did find it and I alerted them to their field notes on the GPS messing up when uploaded. I guess I'm trying to say there's a difference between an honest mistake, which I'm sure we've all done, and someone being too lazy to write 4 letters, or trying to be an arsehole.

For the first time in my over 11 years of cache ownership, I'm thinking about archiving some of my caches when they're starting to have maintenance issues.

I'm the type that holds on to their caches like they're my babies, until something outside of my control forces me to archive. And then I practically cry while I put them down. Most of my caches are quite old.

My caches used to get good logs, but over the past few years, it's gotten worse and worse, and at this point, most of the logs are monosyllabic or abbreviations. When I don't get that many logs (partly because the caches are older), and then when I'm excited to see in my email inbox that someone logged a cache of mine, only to be disappointed that they don't say anything, then really - what's the point of being a cache owner?

I think I'm mostly over the whole cache ownership thing, and I never thought I'd ever ever say that in my life. :-( Without give and take, there isn't any reason to own caches.

Without give and take, there isn't any reason to own caches.

Yeah, I agree.

I don't have the attachment that CJ has for them.

We made it so I get the online logs and when they're all acronyms or default logs, I no longer share, so she really doesn't see how ugly things have become.

She has a couple fake logs to boot on her "5" hide I have to attend to (she's still injured) when the weather's a bit better (we always look first), but I think if we put any more out, they'll all be fives.

- Most of those folks still write logs and include pics.

I agree with those posts I read, as insulting or annoying as those short or blank logs are, if I check them against the physical log and the physical log is signed, they stand. It is not my place to tell others how to play the game. That would be like me trying to say that only caches of a particular size or bigger are what should be hid and logging a NA log on all the micros and nanos. This would not happen and the NA log would not stand on the grounds that I dont like caches of that size so thats why it needs to go.

So as I see it, people can write what they want in their logs so long as they dont put any spoilers in. Then and only then will I step in and dictate content of the log. Some one else writing a short online log does not effect how I play the game, so I dont let it bother me.

Edited for typo

Edited by SirBowen

My caches used to get good logs, but over the past few years, it's gotten worse and worse, and at this point, most of the logs are monosyllabic or abbreviations. When I don't get that many logs (partly because the caches are older), and then when I'm excited to see in my email inbox that someone logged a cache of mine, only to be disappointed that they don't say anything, then really - what's the point of being a cache owner?

I think I'm mostly over the whole cache ownership thing, and I never thought I'd ever ever say that in my life. :-( Without give and take, there isn't any reason to own caches.

I completely agree.

Logs of only "TFTC" or "SLTNLN" or "." or even worse "." and other variants are a slap in the face as far as I'm concerned, after I took the time to place an ammo can stocked with great swag in a nice location and compiled a cache page that provides local history and other information. I don't delete said logs as I don't feel compelled to mess with cachers' statistics and open myself up to a lot of drama. Besides, those kinds of logs say more about the cache finder than I would ever say publically, so I'm happy to let the rudeness stay on my cache page as a public testament.

Some of my caches are approaching a decade in age, but if/when they develop maintenance issues or get stolen, I will most likely archive them because things have degenerated to "what's the point?"

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Yep.

I would naturally assume it is a mistake. The next move would be up to the period logger, but they likely wouldn't be bothered.

While I find a TFTC only log to be insulting, I leave it alone because they are sort of saying thanks.

I still insist period or random character logs are done on purpose, and they probably have no clue their uploading the log to a website, they just think they're marking them as found in their phone. I'll also bet you'd have a 100% success rate of deleting them, without ever being contacted by Groundspeak. :ph34r:

Some TFTC logs are just cachers who are logging their kids accounts or just too far behind to care, they should not be considered an insult as a blanket rule. However, any TFTC, or a period or worse, a complete blank, are not fun at all for a cache owner but its not a reason to delete a cache find.

Yep.

I still insist period or random character logs are done on purpose, and they probably have no clue their uploading the log to a website, they just think they're marking them as found in their phone. I'll also bet you'd have a 100% success rate of deleting them, without ever being contacted by Groundspeak. :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure that if i do log a cache on my phone, that i have to tap a link that says something like "submit to geocaching.com". To me, it's pretty obvious that i'm sending it to a website.

I believe that many people are in this for smiley count and not much more. Typing in a decent log is not required and definitely not something they want to waste their time doing.

I admit to leaving "Thanks for the cache" when logging from my phone (I do spell it out, not that it makes that much difference). It does not mean I did not like the cache, but to sit around and one-finger tap out a long message on a smart phone isn't going to happen for me. I do spend the time to tap-tap-tap out a message when I have done some maintenance on the cache, like provide a fresh log, or if I come across something unusual while doing the cache. I rarely log caches from my computer after caching any more, I log as I go along from my phone.

With more and more people caching with smart phones, I think the logs are going to be shorter because of the amount of time it takes to tap out a message as opposed to using a traditional keyboard. If the cacher is in their 30's or younger, they grew up with text messaging use 'text speak' acronyms even when using a traditional keyboard! While it was nice when people left longer logs on caches I have hidden (under another cache name), I never deleted a TFTC log. Never had a '.' though.

I've had one period, and a couple random single letters. I deleted them. They had never been re-logged. While there are no real restrictions on what has to be contained in a log, except for the whole no spoilers, and keep it PG, I would imagine that GS would use their discretion. You wouldn't expect GS to force me to accept a found it log saying that they did not find the cache, or that it should be archived, so why would I keep a log that doesn't say anything at all?

There was the one time when there was some gibberish in the found it log, and I figured it was an honest mistake, so I contacted the cacher. Turns out they did find it and I alerted them to their field notes on the GPS messing up when uploaded. I guess I'm trying to say there's a difference between an honest mistake, which I'm sure we've all done, and someone being too lazy to write 4 letters, or trying to be an arsehole.

Actually, there is a post buried somewhere in these forums from Jeremy himself, where he says that blank logs are completely acceptable. It is possible to post a blank log through the api, and the idea was that this would be expanded to the web site log interface.

I personally don't agree, but it is what it is. Posting a found log, regardless of what it contains, is first and foremost a process to indicate that you have found the cache that you are posting it to, and mark it as such in Groundspeak's database. The only time I would even consider deleting a log is if I had a valid concern that the logger did not find my cache.

Actually, there is a post buried somewhere in these forums from Jeremy himself, where he says that blank logs are completely acceptable. It is possible to post a blank log through the api, and the idea was that this would be expanded to the web site log interface.

I personally don't agree, but it is what it is. Posting a found log, regardless of what it contains, is first and foremost a process to indicate that you have found the cache that you are posting it to, and mark it as such in Groundspeak's database. The only time I would even consider deleting a log is if I had a valid concern that the logger did not find my cache.

To be clear, any logs we delete are fake finds, not acronyms or abbreviations.

Ok, I didn't want to sound completely selfish with my response. I guess it's good to be altruistic and say that if you never got a single log (just no word finds, lets say) on your caches, you can be happy to know that you're at least doing a service for the community.

One of the reasons that I placed caches at first, was because it was back in the dark ages when there were no/very little caches in the area. I wanted to provide fun for other cachers.

But now, there are a million caches out there. Because of health issues, it can be difficult for me to replace/fix caches. So at this point, selfishly, there's little incentive for me to keep some of my caches. Oh, there are still some of them that I especially love (oh, oh - playing favourites with my babies!), that I don't see giving up any time soon.

As a CO of many hides I also find the TFTC annoying but that is just how some play. I know because one of the great cachers in my area and now a great friend posted TFTC on his first 100 or so finds. I also have some fishing friends that are great people and I introduced them to caching and I still look sometimes and they post many finds as TFTC. I can't say I understand it and the fishing friends are great people and I know they enjoy caching but for whatever reason still post TFTC.

The local cacher has been hiding caches and his logs have changed by a lot and are great now. The fishing friends have yet to actually hide one. Maybe that is the link to the change.

Have been with caching friends who had an absolute blast at a cache, they took pictures at the site, really enjoyed it but just logged TFTC when they got home again. Personally I just log whatever is on my mind but I try to say something. Even when I discover a coin, I try to something, but that is me. Can't expect folks to write original things in my caches if I do not do the same and that is all you really can expect.

if you are using a smart phone, most of them have voice dictation. I do this A LOT, even though Siri still doesn't understand when I say Cache it isn't spelled "cash". There is likely plenty of time for a decent log while walking back to the car.

I say "cachet" and just delete the t. Easier than re-spelling cash with cache. She always says jeazy for GZ too...lol.

But I rarely use Siri for that, unless I'm in some kind of spectacular reception area as she's just too slow. It's much easier for me to type it out.

Speaking of logs. I usually begin mentally composing them as I approached GZ. If it's a hiking trail where I have all kinds of time, I'll really elaborate (again, in my head)

I think of all the cools things I saw or did, the trail, the weather, how I'm feeling, issues I had, why I chose this cache on this day....all kinds of good stuff. By the time I finish up and begin writing my log, I usually tone the log way down as I feel like I ramble. Sometimes I wonder...does anybody care about nice logs (or what I think is a once log) anymore?

Sometimes, I even delete much of the log when I get home (I send my logs as field notes) just to 'trim the fat'. Who wants to read all that anyway?

But I still leave all the pictures I've uploaded :)

Speaking of logs. I usually begin mentally composing them as I approached GZ. If it's a hiking trail where I have all kinds of time, I'll really elaborate (again, in my head)

I think of all the cools things I saw or did, the trail, the weather, how I'm feeling, issues I had, why I chose this cache on this day....all kinds of good stuff. By the time I finish up and begin writing my log, I usually tone the log way down as I feel like I ramble. Sometimes I wonder...does anybody care about nice logs (or what I think is a once log) anymore?

Sometimes, I even delete much of the log when I get home (I send my logs as field notes) just to 'trim the fat'. Who wants to read all that anyway?

I'm pretty much the same way. I mentally write as I'm walking. Most of what I think of doesn't end up anywhere but between my ears, but it does usually leave me with a few nuggets to write about in my log.

As to the bolded part, I've wondered that myself. When I first started caching, I didn't write very good logs. A sentence or two was about it. The problem was that when I looked back at my logs, I could barely recall the "adventure" of finding that cache. I didn't like that. I began to understand that my online log was my own personal diary that I could read years down the road and remember that cache (if it was really worth remembering). So, I began writing longer, more descriptive, (hopefully) more entertaining logs.

When I started doing that, I'd periodically get random emails from other, usually local, cachers and owners telling me they appreciated the log and enjoyed reading it. Not clapping myself on the back here...that's just what happened. I still try to write "good" logs but I can count on one hand that is missing two fingers the number of emails I've gotten in the past couple of years. I will email cachers when I read one of their logs that I enjoyed but it seems to be an almost antiquated notion now and the logs worth emailing about are becoming even more rare.

But, don't give up writing long logs! There is always a place for them and there will always be someone who appreciates them, even if you never hear from them about it.

Now picture taking...that's something I could stand to do more of.

Someone has placed the link to the "rules" and as it states there in section C

"Cease deleting logs based on Aditional Listing Requirements" as such requiring more than a TFTC on a log would fall into that category.

However ...

a "." or ":)" to say that you have found the cache does not indicate that you have found the cache does it. TFTC does because you are saying thank you for it. A full stop could be a mistake as could a smiley face. It neither indicates a find nor does it indicate you didnt. Unfortunately we cannot assume someone did from this because the have logged it as a found. Because the Iphone app defaults to found it when you hit log a cache. So we can delete this mistaken log and offer for the logger to log a proper log to indicate they found it. This is after all important to know so that we can keep our geocaches in tip top condition and ensure they are still there and there is no problem with them :anibad:

Edited by Seaglass Pirates

if you are using a smart phone, most of them have voice dictation. I do this A LOT, even though Siri still doesn't understand when I say Cache it isn't spelled "cash". There is likely plenty of time for a decent log while walking back to the car.

I say "cachet" and just delete the t. Easier than re-spelling cash with cache. She always says jeazy for GZ too...lol.

But I rarely use Siri for that, unless I'm in some kind of spectacular reception area as she's just too slow. It's much easier for me to type it out.

say geocache (In the UK Siri is a he) so he replies "geocachaaaay" lol.

For the first time in my over 11 years of cache ownership, I'm thinking about archiving some of my caches when they're starting to have maintenance issues.

I'm the type that holds on to their caches like they're my babies, until something outside of my control forces me to archive. And then I practically cry while I put them down. Most of my caches are quite old.

I'm there with you and feel your pain. Even with my Waymarks, they never get logged. What is the point other than I enjoy recording history? :unsure: I'm even selling some of my geocoins. The game is not what it used to be. :(

Ok, I didn't want to sound completely selfish with my response. I guess it's good to be altruistic and say that if you never got a single log (just no word finds, lets say) on your caches, you can be happy to know that you're at least doing a service for the community.

One of the reasons that I placed caches at first, was because it was back in the dark ages when there were no/very little caches in the area. I wanted to provide fun for other cachers.

But now, there are a million caches out there. Because of health issues, it can be difficult for me to replace/fix caches. So at this point, selfishly, there's little incentive for me to keep some of my caches. Oh, there are still some of them that I especially love (oh, oh - playing favourites with my babies!), that I don't see giving up any time soon.

With millions of caches out there, and people playing a game that might be quite different than I ever envisioned, I still get a "I'm new and this is totally cool", or, "took my kid out for an adventure, this is fun", every so often. That makes my day, and makes up for a dozen TFTC logs. I just can't give up on my caches.

Whatever you do, don't ever give up on the caches along the Going to the Sun Road. I found all of them, and it is still my best Geocaching adventure.

I have the same feeling. I want to read logs that tell a story of the experience. As a CO, you put some effort into developing an idea and you do look for feedback in the form of a found it log. The short logs or cut-n-paste formats, although tiresome, are the perogative of the finder, and a reflection of how they play the game. To each their own, since this is just a hobby and not a council on curing world hunger.