Favourite Cache Conatainer

Yes I also love a big ammo can. I hate when when you complete a hard challenge cache or series of caches that has taken you some time to complete and the final is a micro, just so upsetting! I love the ease of size to sign your name or stamp it and all the good swag that usually is in there as hard challenge caches usually tend to have some sweet stuff!

I have to agree with the majority, I am like a giddy school girl when I find a container larger than a nano to film can... my vote goes to the ammo can. I would love to find a custom built camo container beyond some paint and/or tape, but my area seems to favor the small to nano size. I personally will be hiding custom caches that will be trackable friendly whenever and where ever possible.

There are many containers that I really like, but ammo cans aren't among them. Ammo cans are almost always trivially easy to find, and many are filled with trinkets that make it harder to find the contents that are actually interesting to me (the log, any personal sig items, and any trackables).

Real Bison tubes (by Bison Designs) or high-quality knockoffs are nice. So are preforms and genuine Lock & Lock containers. But the containers that really impressed me the first time I saw them in the field a couple years ago were the Mighty Mega Cache Containers. They're durable, weatherproof, big enough to hold a few personal sig items and trackables, and yet small enough that they aren't always trivially easy to find.

Just wondering what your favourite type of cache is, mine is a Regular Sized Ammo Can as there is just something nice about finding that big, swag filled cache :lol:

I have hidden many ammo cans, but every one has been stolen - most likely by a geocacher. I now usually only hide small and micro as they seem to last longer.

You are correct in the high theft rate of ammo cans.....one thing for sure, if you hide one never say in your cache description they you have hid an ammo can....just call it a regular.

Just wondering what your favourite type of cache is, mine is a Regular Sized Ammo Can as there is just something nice about finding that big, swag filled cache :lol:

I have hidden many ammo cans, but every one has been stolen - most likely by a geocacher. I now usually only hide small and micro as they seem to last longer.

Same here, the 7.62 mm or 5.56 mm NATO cans are my favorite geocache containers but they get stolen. I now camo paint the Plano fishing lure boxes with the water-proof gasket. Ammo cans have really went up in price in the last few years.

Well it's not an ammo can, but this aint going anywhere. 300 pounds of wet sand inside. And a bison tube-(The city's largest micro.)

1924659_10152648138989552_416809678_n.jpg

400662_10152648138839552_247176842_n.jpg

And it's my favorite, but I'm biased, because I'm the one who painted it.

OK, that could be my favorite one too, but I would need to find a good spot to place it in my area before I order one from you.... :laughing:

Same here, the 7.62 mm or 5.56 mm NATO cans are my favorite geocache containers but they get stolen. I now camo paint the Plano fishing lure boxes with the water-proof gasket. Ammo cans have really went up in price in the last few years.

I wonder if that's a regional thing? The vast majority of my hides are ammo cans, and as memory serves, I've only had two grow legs, and one get vandalized.

Weird. I have three ammo cans I hid in 2002 and one from 2003 still going strong.

I have never (quite literally never) seen a micro that lasted 10 years.

I wonder if that's a regional thing? The vast majority of my hides are ammo cans, and as memory serves, I've only had two grow legs, and one get vandalized.

It very well could be. Some of mine have been found by non-geocachers, one log book was used as a summit register by hikers and seldom ever logged by geocachers. I do still have one or two out in the wild, but well hidden. :ph34r:

It is common to see Ammo cans used as tool boxes on the ATV and Jeep trails in the region, I even find lost ones well stocked with tools. :)

The only caches we had that grew wings were micro/smalls, fake rocks an' stuff.

- One was a tea kettle with the steamer/whistle epoxy sealed. A gift for Grandma? :lol:

We archived seven ammo cans last year for safety reasons - they were out seven years.

Of the four we have out now, one is a suburban hide going on five years.

I love a good custom container (if it is waterproof). The other day I found a very excellent "bomb". (It was in an underground mine which required several miles of walking to reach, so not much chance of a muggle calling out the bomb squad).

For non-custom containers, ammo can or lock and lock.