What is your signature item?

Hosscatt

I just started putting together signature items for caches I really like or ones I put out myself.

They were inspired by a few other people's signature items, but basically they're the leftover clay charms I make when I do bracelets, necklaces, and earrings. I usually always have at least one leftover and I thought they would make good cache items ~

20140614_135924.jpg

So far I've done cakes, pies, lollipops, and donuts that are out and about in the wild ~

Thanks ~

Honestly, I think all signature items are great though. We don't have a whole lot of them up this way so seeing anything handmade is always really neat. Most of the ones around this area are business card style and they don't last long once the weather starts getting damp.

Hi Hosscat,

I also use bottle tops to make my sig items:

c383f4fc-c0e8-4777-bf81-5a981a78173b.jpg

For the first batches I used polyester resin, but recently I found ready made self adhesive domes (on a famous auction site) which I stick to the paper insert and glue into the cap. They do eventually go rusty if left in a damp cache, so I bought some tiny plastic bags which help keep them clean.

Hi Hosscat,

For the first batches I used polyester resin, but recently I found ready made self adhesive domes (on a famous auction site) which I stick to the paper insert and glue into the cap. They do eventually go rusty if left in a damp cache, so I bought some tiny plastic bags which help keep them clean.

I used modpodge 3d (like resin, no steps, so much cheaper!) but I had a problem with bubbles. Do you think the domes work better?

I really want to make a signature item. I thought about buying a load of caribener clips (sp?) and stamping my username in them (well the initials). I really love usable stuff, today in a cache I saw a compass. I am very crafty and can make probably anything so I'm going to have to think about this for awhile.

I love carabiners. They are very useful. Did a quick google search for stamped carabiner and saw this cool one that I think would be an excellent signature item, perhaps it will inspire you:

il_570xN.594362594_1r80.jpg

I really want to make a signature item. I thought about buying a load of caribener clips (sp?) and stamping my username in them (well the initials). I really love usable stuff, today in a cache I saw a compass. I am very crafty and can make probably anything so I'm going to have to think about this for awhile.

I love carabiners. They are very useful. Did a quick google search for stamped carabiner and saw this cool one that I think would be an excellent signature item, perhaps it will inspire you:

snip

Did you have that made, or did you make that yourself?

snip

Did you have that made, or did you make that yourself?

I did a google search for personalized carabiner. I didn't make or buy it. I posted the image to inspire. Probably could be done with dollar store carabiners and 1/8" metal stamps.

Canadian flag pin!

That was also mine, at first.

fb68c235-c975-4fa7-a35d-ef21fa19098d.jpg

I had a couple hundred when I first started caching, and naively thought that I'd never use them all.

In fact, I put out so many that there was a specific indication that they should not be left in a newly-placed cache in my area (the listing was since edited):

Antiswag request

Meanwhile, I have one that I will keep, that I pulled out of this awesome cache

anybody remember shrinky dinks? they're easy and quick to make, plus my kids love to watch them shrink in the oven too!

geocache.jpg

Do you shrink them first, or let the finder shrink them? My kids would love to find a signature item that they got to shrink.

Can you make custom shrinky dinks? I think it would be cool to make some with my avitar.

anybody remember shrinky dinks? they're easy and quick to make, plus my kids love to watch them shrink in the oven too!

geocache.jpg

Do you shrink them first, or let the finder shrink them? My kids would love to find a signature item that they got to shrink.

Can you make custom shrinky dinks? I think it would be cool to make some with my avitar.

you know, i didn't even think about letting the finder shrink them! that would be a pretty fun find for kiddos. you can buy shrinky dinks for inkjet printers, so it would totally be possible to make some with your avatar! personally, i like to draw on mine - maybe if i ever come up with a cool avatar or logo i'll print some :)

See my avatar? It's my trackable sig item that can NOT be discussed in these forums, but many geocachers use them as SWAG to leave in caches.

Is it because your trackable item is a confederate flag? A flag which pretty much didn't resurface after the Civil War until 1956, when it was used to protest integration in schools after Brown v Board of Education? Because I can see why people would be pretty upset about finding a symbol like that in an otherwise-innocuous GeoCache.

I'm guessing it's because it is an item that is trackable on another site and has nothing to do with the flag.

I wanted to try something new & just finished making these today. I think they'll be my signature token. (I couldn't figure out how to post a photo here so I just made them my personal pic.)

What do you think?

Happy caching. (LN -Peanut)

Here you go. Looks great.

6e8c8938-7e9f-4fad-a9e6-675ef4889179.jpg

Mine's that metallic token, quarter sized, offset hole, that-which-must-not-be-named. Probably the same as Manville Possum Hunter's.

My username: my sig item is 1962 penneies. I get them from my other hobby: coin collecting. I roll search and keep every 1962 I find. When I run out of that specific date, I leAve wheat pennies. (older than 1959). They are super cheap, I come across them a ton in collecting, and people who don't know much about coins think they're really cool. And I'm happy to give people something they think is neat. :)

Inspired by everyone's signature items I decided to make my own. The most I have ever found in a cache is "signature" business cards.

Only made a few today as a test batch, but they turned out pretty well. They were made with ink-jet printable Shrinky Dinks.

f55f1c44-150f-4920-a2dd-3fa69a1247f9.jpg

5da84c4a-3d53-4b01-9574-7ce48ef628c3_zps0de66d8e.jpg

I also use Shrinky Dink sheets. I buy 8 1/2x11 ink jet sheets at Michaels Crafts. The one to the right of the quarter was made using a business card template for sizing. The token in the upper left is made using the frosted Shrinky Dinks. After shrinking and cooling, I spray with a coat of clear sealer to keep ink from running if wet. I have also used the Shrinky Dink sheets for replacement travel bug tags and trackables.

I did the printable shrinky dinks for a while, and clear coat. I really liked them, but they do eventually bleed/run.

I also do the things which cannot be named.

I am always searching for dolphin things, and leave them when I find some to buy.

When I first started, I found these really cool wire bookmarks with dolphins -- they were my favorite. I have never seen them again.

Mine is a one Bolivar note from Argentina AKA a Bolivar Bill. They are only worth a couple of cents and I bought a pile of them a while ago.

I used to get Silver Dollar sized Chinese coins from a dollar store run by people from China, but they moved 2 towns over, and I haven't made it out there. Plus they didn't have them all the time. They were a big hit when I could get them though.

I have two signature items. first look at my call name. these are for humdrum caches that will hold them. 20140614_143616.jpg I have them in knuckle cases for better caches also. and for those really awesome caches I have dog tags made with my name and where I live engraved on them. IMG_0118.jpg nothing fancy like many others have made, but one of a kind around here.

If I find what I consider a 'good' cache (and my standards are pretty loose... container intact, contents not soaked or moldy) I will frequently leave a paracord bracelet or a keyring as I make these as a hobby (actually I sell them for charity, but I make way more than I sell). My intention is that they will eventually find someone who wants to keep them/wear them, whether or not they travel through other caches first. They don't have my name or anything on them, and they're all different colors. I figured cachers would appreciate the usefulness of paracord :)

10268623_239141026290064_1585242651363156481_n.jpg

Edited by CallMeCrazyinOH

If I find what I consider a 'good' cache (and my standards are pretty loose... container intact, contents not soaked or moldy) I will frequently leave a paracord bracelet or a keyring as I make these as a hobby (actually I sell them for charity, but I make way more than I sell). My intention is that they will eventually find someone who wants to keep them/wear them, whether or not they travel through other caches first. They don't have my name or anything on them, and they're all different colors. I figured cachers would appreciate the usefulness of paracord :)

10268623_239141026290064_1585242651363156481_n.jpg

yep I own just under 2000 yards of para cord. not counting rifle slings or stuff like you make.

My signature item is a "Bat Signal The Frog" temporary tattoo. I'm really into Batman and Geocaching and have combined the two in an epic trackable (real) tattoo on my right wrist. I incorporated a two-year-old tattoo of my favorite bat logo into the design. I had these temporary tattoos printed up a few months before getting the real thing, on Geocaching day immediately after attending the 2014 Block Party. The tat back includes a Travel Bug code. The idea is to have the TB "visit" each cache that I drop one in and for folks to tell me where they found my signature item when discovering. The Travel Bug tag with the tat code is worn by a Bat Signal The Frog plush toy that now resides in the Seattle tattoo shop where my tattoo was inked. The shop owner is herself a Geocacher. This was not my first trackable Battoo.

a1ba9dcc-8f1c-488e-9b05-def2891c489b.jpg?rnd=0.3721539

9508728c-5df1-40b0-afec-6c2a1f24a538.jpg

Edited by TeeDeeKay
I used to get Silver Dollar sized Chinese coins from a dollar store run by people from China, but they moved 2 towns over, and I haven't made it out there. Plus they didn't have them all the time. They were a big hit when I could get them though.

I found these "10 Cash Coins" (maybe like what you bought) in a large bowl in an antique shop, for $1 each. I printed some info and placed them in ziplock bags as swag items. They're ancient, but common. But yeah, the shop doesn't keep them in stock. :anicute:

5oe0cp.jpg

See my avatar? It's my trackable sig item that can NOT be discussed in these forums, but many geocachers use them as SWAG to leave in caches.

Why can't it be discussed? This is just a question and am curious to know.

It's considered a "competing item", and it must not be named. Apparently, it can be your avatar though, as mentioned by the person you're quoting, and myself. Of course I might get an email tomorrow. :ph34r:

I created some keychains using settlers of Catan items. I started playing tournaments in 2002 and still do. I also met my wife on the dutch championship and have some very good friends who I've met in the dutch and flamish SoC community. When I play with friends I'll usually play with green so this all resulted in the following keychains:

b2bea7ef-5fb7-46d0-961c-138786c7bcd1.jpg

I also carry one of those on my keychain and it has a trackable code on one side and my username on the other

for the first cache I've placed I made these (gold - silver - bronze):

840a8e17-e7c1-40ee-b719-5ce35371fb06.jpg

It's considered a "competing item", and it must not be named. Apparently, it can be your avatar though, as mentioned by the person you're quoting, and myself. Of course I might get an email tomorrow. :ph34r:

Sad but true. I've argued that it is not a competing item, but Groundspeak disagrees, and it is their site.

A friend told me that a reviewer refused to publish a cache until he removed text that mentioned them by name. It's only an incidental mention - the end of the cache description says "left <item name> as prize for FTF". No promotion, no agenda. He didn't bother trying to appeal, just removed the item name - that's a battle not worth fighting.