Photography Category

Just throwing a category idea out. Not your standard type category. A photography category. Each month the theme would change and each waymarker can submit only one for a theme. Have it open for the theme until the 10th of next month. The goal of the category is for waymarker to submit their best photographs for the theme. Say this month is sun sets, submit waymarks showing sun sets with information about location taken, camera used, shutter speed, f-stop etc. And then next month say the theme is Water and then next month Mountains, then maybe City Scenes. Not standard, some months would overlap other categories but waymarker would only be able to submit one waymark anyway. The goal of the category would be to get some awesome photos. What do you think?

Edited by BruceS

Great idea! We could also have 'flowers' for a theme or 'snow'. So we would have 12 themes per year so i see no problem to be creative for the next 10 years. Trees would also be a great idea. Animal themes like birds will be wonderful. Here the visit requirement will be to get a shot of the same animal and post the coords in the visit log. Let's start!

Just throwing a category idea out. Not your standard type category. A photography category. Each month the theme would change and each waymarker can submit only one for a theme.

What do you think?

Yes, I like games of this type :-) Why not on Waymarking? It sounds refreshing, I'll follow this idea.

This reminds me of the Waymarking photo contest that we had several years ago. It wasn't a category and was conducted through Flickr submissions. I really enjoyed it, but had a hard time keeping up with it, but I submitted some of my best photos. They were all from waymarks already submitted.

I think this is workable as a category as a type of game category.

A couple of suggestions. Unlike other categories, coordinates would be for the location from which the photo was taken. That way visits would be a visit to those coordinates with a photo matching the view of the original as closely as possible. This could be quite interesting, esp. with seasonal topics.

Browsing Flickr groups will give you a good idea of the wide variety of possible monthly themes. Some wouldn't be suitable for waymarks, but others would work great. One of my favorites was Yellow -- photos that feature yellow things comprising most of the photo area.

Since the potential themes are so many, I'm trying to think of a way we could get two categories out of these to offer more Waymarking opportunities.

I'd rather see themes without too much overlap with existing waymark categories. So, as much as I love waterfalls, that wouldn't make a good theme because we have a waterfalls category.

The themes should be permanent and visitable. So, sunsets, reflections, etc. would be good, but dogs wouldn't.

I'll look forward for this one. Sounds like a lot of fun.