Indiana Cachers: Who and where are you?

The_Wright_Family

Ok I started this thread. The reason I started it was so all the Indiana geocachers can say hi to one another. It wasn't made so a few people can chat about things that have nothing to do with geocaching. So I'm asking you please go start a thread for yourselves somewhere else. It's only fair.

Ok sorry , we will go away and keep another thread alive ... did not mean any harm .

Big Mike:

No need to apologize for keeping people on topic. This is what I was getting at in my mid-September post when I said:

I hate to be a party pooper but could we please make this topic less like abject silliness or the off-topic forums and more like a topic with actual useful content?

Some people just like to talk. Nothing wrong with that. That is why the topic 'abject silliness' and the forum 'off-topic' were created. However cluttering up a perfectly good topic with inane chatter ... well, it just turns most people off and is bad manners.

In my opinion this particular topic " Indiana Cachers: Who and where are you?" has been pretty much ruined by the chatter. Any newbies will probably be turned off within a couple of minutes of reading some of the posts. Closing this topic and starting anew would (once again, in my opinion) be a good idea.

I hate to be a party pooper but could we please make this topic less like abject silliness or the off-topic forums and more like a topic with actual useful content?

Some people just like to talk. Nothing wrong with that. That is why the topic 'abject silliness' and the forum 'off-topic' were created. However cluttering up a perfectly good topic with inane chatter ... well, it just turns most people off and is bad manners.

In my opinion this particular topic " Indiana Cachers: Who and where are you?" has been pretty much ruined by the chatter. Any newbies will probably be turned off within a couple of minutes of reading some of the posts. Closing this topic and starting anew would (once again, in my opinion) be a good idea.

The way I see it (and Big Mike can correct me if I'm wrong) is this topic was created for cachers to pop in and introduce themselves. Prior to our first posting there were 47 posts where ppl introduced themselves and 38 posts that would be 'off topic'. Since we posted, 11 new cachers have stopped by to say hi and 157 posts were made that would be considered 'off topic'. At least 3 of those posts were by RPW.

True the thread has wandered away from geocaching on occassion, but the majority of the posts ARE related to geocaching.

If Mike wants to close this thread that's his option, but it's still his thread.

We welcome anyone who wishes to say hi to visit our thread, and until the admins object to it, we're happy to make friends.

Wulf

Well, I didn't take the time to wade through all the sillyness on this thread, but I thought that I would post a reply to introduce myself. New to geocaching, live in Brownsburg. My family & I have found a few caches and they seem to enjoy it. I've found a handful myself, I work all over the state & have had a chance to find caches in Westfield, Shelbyville & Morristown so far. Well thanks for the time. I look forward to being involved in the geocache community and possibly meeting who share this intrest..Thanks...Eric

I'm talking about stuff like this.

"Here's Buster Brown, he lives in a shoe,

There's his dog, Tige, he lives in there, too................ :yikes:"

From Pipanella

And there is alot more like that. Let me explain what this was made for. Yes it was made for folks to come in say hi and where you were from. Also it was for talking about events that were coming up and stuff like that. Team Tigger didn't you realize this was going pretty good till you and your group came in. I know that sounds mean but really it's not meant as. We welcome you. But man come on some of the stuff you were talking about was just insane. Yes I got messages from people telling me to do something about all the things you all were talking about. Because they had to wade thru it to find new members and topics that wasn't just a conversation between your clique. I'm glad there are members that have all these friends that they all go out together to find these. But you all did take this over as you own personal chat room. Like I said I'm not here to bust anyones chops over this. It's all in good fun. I just thought I would explain what I was talking about.

Thanks alot

Big Mike

Edited by Big_Mike_RNT

Well, it seems to me that even after you requested this thread be 'on topic' (and you had good reason to do so), conversation STILL isn't just about Indiana cachers. You made your point, yet there seems to be more than a few more posts reiterating it.

RPW is right, maybe a new introduction thread should be started, or better yet, maybe a mod could just weed out the unnecessary posts in this thread and from here on out, only new posts from cachers introducing themselves would be allowed.

Sorry I got caught up in the fun and offended so many. It sure wasn't intentional, but I'm not going to stress over it, either.

EDITED for typos.

Edited by Pipanella
Well, I'm glad the thread I started is being well used. Glad to see all us Hoosiers are out there hitting it hard. Also seems ithis is a good hangout for some good friends to chat it up. And that's fine with me. So did anyone get any real good caches over the summer? RedNeck Tracking INC. Is heading down to Park County again this weekend for the covered Bridge Festival. I know after last year I said I wouldn't go down the first weekend again, but I can't help it. We just have to go out and geocache and camp. Besides the way the weather has been acting this year I'm not sure how warm it's going to stay. But on this trip it's going to be Squirrel, Old Lady and the newest addition Squaw. Squaw is my girlfriend who I had to drag out to the woods on our first date to go geocaching and she fell in love with it. So this is going to be a good trip. Hopeing to find alot of the new caches that were put out this year down there. Maybe I'll see some fellow cachers while we are down there? Good seeing everyone on here. Take it easy and Keep fresh batteries in your GPS.

well we were just going by this post by you Big Mike and this was after the sillyness you refered to ...... We do humbly apologize and as requested are taking our silly selves to another thread . Not because we are angry mind you but out of respect for your request to stay "On Topic" .

Wow! This thread has gotten long. Now that I am done with my dissertation and associated paperwork, Team Tecmage should be getting around more often. We have no fewer than four ready to be rolled out in the next month or two.

We have an opportunity for cechers in February as well with the Valpo Parks and Rec Dept as well. Stay tuned.

Edited by Team Tecmage

I don't check out the forums much, but decided to tonight. Since we are from Indiana, we fit in here too! We are from LaPorte also. Been caching a few years now and finally got over 100 (although that was my goal by the end of last year). We don't like the cold very much, so we tend to hibernate and not find many caches in the winter months. Just makes me all the more reved up for Spring!

I know we need more caches on the east side. That's where I'm at and about got all of them taken care of. Got a cache put together that i want to stick out, but i don't think I'll get it done this weekend. Don't want to lead the folks to it with the footprints in the snow. Man we got alot of snow today. Oh well I'm all for a white christmas.

If you hurry out and place it tonight, there won't be any footprints by morning! :angry:

I'm not sure why I haven't seen this thread yet and posted to it. Oh, well.

Tom here. I am from South Bend and have been caching only since June 2004 but am hooked, as is everybody else. I have met a few of you at either the St. Pat's Geocaching Picnic Event and or the Potawatomi Wild Cache Event.

I have just over 100 finds but am getting very anxious for spring to get here and plan to do lots of biking and caching (combined) this year. There are still many that I have not hunted within 30 miles of my house.

I own three caches, all hidden near Bourbon, IN (The North 40, The Andromeda Galaxy, and The World's Lamest Micro).

My one goal for this year is to try and take a trip to Alaska and hopefully do some caches up there. Can't think of a better place to look for Tupperware in the woods!!! :)

Hi, I'm Steph in Lafayette, IN. I'm 27. I'm new to geocaching and don't know what took me so long. I would love to meet people around my age (or young at heart) to go hunting with in the area or just to talk to here in the eworld though I am not much for messengers or online chatting.

I'm also a Purdue undergraduate student in Psychology and active in the local BDSM community.

Me and Kevinjunior_2000 are in Lake Station, IN....I know there are a few more from here...but we have yet to meet that we know of :P

We have been caching since Feb of this year and have almost 75 in. Kevin works swing shift, so our caching days are very sporadic, and we typically get in as many as we can on his days off.

We have 2 kiddos, one will be 6 in July and the other is 5 months old. They are almost always with us unless we are doing trails or somewhere that wouldn't be rather quick.

We will be attending the CITO event at the Dunes on Saturday if anyone else is coming.

Hey all! BunniK here, new to the game (one week) but having a BLAST! We're in the NE corner of Indiana . I'm looking forward to learning more about this new obsession! I also picked up "letterboxing" this week too and since I don't have a GPSr yet, I've been doing that when I can't borrow one....lol Anything to feed the addiction!....lol

Any advice for a newbie?

Bunni

Hello, Im madtucky1 and im from madison indiana. My handle comes from what my friends and I call madison, since kentucky is a short swim or a stones throw away. Madison is in southeast indiana and is about an 1hr from louisville, 1hr from cincinnati and 1.50hr from indy. Geocaching is good from any direction down here. The knobstone trail and clifty falls are in my back yard. It a hot bed of geocaches around here, especially since we have deermark and daggy right down the road. Well I better sign out If you are ever down this way would more than enjoy the company of fellow cachers. :mad: