Idea for a new log type

Simrebel

I have a idea for a pending log found for challenges and earth caches

There could be a option when a co creates a cache that all finds must be approved by the co

only available in cache types Mystery or earth caches ect

a finder would published a pending find log, and once approved by the co after he thinks it's met the qualifications

he can check it off and it becomes a found

There could be a option when a co creates a cache that all finds must be approved by the co

a finder would published a pending find log, and once approved by the co after he thinks it's met the qualifications

One problem i see is that a cache owner might be slow or even awol. You might be waiting forever to get the find finalized. Meanwhile, you're logging other finds, possibly milestones which may be important to you, that could be affected.

One problem i see is that a cache owner might be slow or even awol. You might be waiting forever to get the find finalized. Meanwhile, you're logging other finds, possibly milestones which may be important to you, that could be affected.

Well, what do you expect when you have CO's that maintain 400+ power trail caches?

How about rather than have a "not quite a find yet" log entry, we turn it around and give the CO the ability to approve a normal found log? You log the find as you do today, and if there's a requirement such as the questions with earthcaches, the CO can go to the log and set some "answer approved" flag? I think that would accomplish what you want without the problems introduced by a CO being slow or AWOL.

You said "mystery caches" which puzzled me until I realized you're talking about challenge caches, with the idea being that the owner confirms the requirements have been met. Right? Those as the only unknown caches that allow owner approval after the log's been signed.

I don't find the current approach too bad, so I don't really feel the need for a feature like this, but I see the logic behind your thinking.

Honestly, if the CO is AWOL or has dropped out of the game, it really just needs to be adopted or archived. Seriously...who the heck are we sending our "answers" to? If nobody is watching or making sure the info still applies (things often change at these sites), then it isn't being properly maintained. I see no need to keep it around just because it's a virtual, a dying breed. There are other ways of bringing folks to those spots without having a container and still be part of an authorized geocache.

finds must be approved by the co

No.

This game doesn't work this way. Everybody able to navigate with a GPS are also able to know if they found a cache or not. There's no need to "wait for COs approval" for an online log.

While I do not like the idea of the proposed new log type (cache owners can delete logs anyway), your argument above does not make sense for Earthcaches and for challenge caches and the OP used those cache types to justify his idea. I can find a challenge cache (and have already done so) and still be not entitled for a "found it" log.

Cezanne

There's already a log option that covers that situation. It's called a "Found It" log, which is subject to deletion by the cache owner if the requirements haven't been met.

Yes. I think we have a creative solution in search of a problem, with a high risk of other problems.

I can find a challenge cache (and have already done so) and still be not entitled for a "found it" log.

That would still be included as a note.

One useful new log type I could think of is "solved" for puzzle caches. This could appear on the profile but not be included in find counts. It would allow people to virtually play from their desk without going anywhere and keep track of what they did. The fact is that there is a large amount of people that enjoy couch potato logging. This would allow it in an accepted manner without interfering with anything else. Such logs on a page could be hidden until someone wanted to view them.

I can find a challenge cache (and have already done so) and still be not entitled for a "found it" log.

And you really need the help of the cache owner to know if you are entitled? :blink:

Sorry, you pretty well know if you are entitled or not and thus can choose the right log type (note or found it).

Same with EarthCaches: If you think you have the right answer(s), send them to the CO and then log it as found. If your answer is wrong/incomplete, the expectation is that the CO helps you in finding the right one. If all fails, you or the CO can still delete the log or change it's type.

Edited by eigengott

The problem, as others have said, is that not all CO would want the hassle of approving find-it logs. Although if it was done so that only those CO that would prefer to approve the finds on their challenges and EarthCaches, if it was available to the CO as an option when publishing the cache, and so only those CO that want to would choose so. Then COs that wouldn't want to bother with it wouldn't have to. But those that chose to do so would face the added responsibility of approving those pending logs in a timely manner.

Still probably not a great idea, after all we're overlooking the white elephant in the room here, all you'd be doing with this is addressing cachers that cheat on finding challenges and Earth Caches... Those that intend to continue cheating by logging bogus finds on regular caches, traditionals, multis and puzzles would of course still be permitted to do so. But that's not a problem that anyone really wants to address, so it will continue, after all "peoples gots to gets their smileys".

That would still be included as a note.

One useful new log type I could think of is "solved" for puzzle caches. This could appear on the profile but not be included in find counts. It would allow people to virtually play from their desk without going anywhere and keep track of what they did. The fact is that there is a large amount of people that enjoy couch potato logging. This would allow it in an accepted manner without interfering with anything else. Such logs on a page could be hidden until someone wanted to view them.

I'm not sure a "solved" log type is useful. The game of geocaching is about going to find the boxes. Why would we want to see the site changed to cater for people who don't want to go and find boxes? People can already post a note to indicate they solved it, if they are so inclined.

I don't think I saw anyone mention it, but there are no cache types where a "pending found" log is required - no caches types where you need to wait for approval before logging.

Earthcache guidelines state that you cannot demand a finder waits for your approval before they log it as found.

Of course a cache owner can delete a log afterwards if requirements are not met, but that's already catered for in the current system (as someone already mentioned above).

And you really need the help of the cache owner to know if you are entitled? :blink:

Sorry, you pretty well know if you are entitled or not and thus can choose the right log type (note or found it).

Personally, I do not even log a found it in all cases where I'm entitled to do so. I also mentioned that I'm not in favor of the new log type. The point I made was that finding a cache and being entitled to log a found it is not the same. There are caches where finding/signing the log book them is not enough.

In my opinion it is unfortunate anyway that there is a log type called "found it".

Same with EarthCaches: If you think you have the right answer(s), send them to the CO and then log it as found. If your answer is wrong/incomplete, the expectation is that the CO helps you in finding the right one. If all fails, you or the CO can still delete the log or change it's type.

I guess that the idea of the OP was to have some sort of owner certified logs and also to be able to filter out those caches where the owner does not reply or replies only very slowly. For some it might also be about demonstrating to other caches that one has satisfied the owner's requirements. For ECs this cannot be checked by an external person.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne