Communicator plug-in download

Sheep Dip

I keep trying to download geocaches to my Garmin eTrex 20. (Used to be able to do this without any problem). Now keep getting a message that I need to install the comunicator plug-in. I have - several times, plus re-booting each time. My laptop says its installed, but I still can't download. Have to keep entering co-ordinates manually which is a chore. I'm runnin Windows 8.1, but I;ve also tried on Windows 7 and get the same message.Anyone got any ideas?

I keep trying to download geocaches to my Garmin eTrex 20. (Used to be able to do this without any problem). Now keep getting a message that I need to install the comunicator plug-in. I have - several times, plus re-booting each time. My laptop says its installed, but I still can't download. Have to keep entering co-ordinates manually which is a chore. I'm runnin Windows 8.1, but I;ve also tried on Windows 7 and get the same message.Anyone got any ideas?

It's a common problem experienced by many on this forum including myself. I also use Windows 8.1 but it's IE 11 that caused the problem for me. You have two choices; use another browser like Chrome or Firefox or, if you wish to stay with IE 11, go to geocaching.com and, using the browser tools, enter that website onto the compatibility view list. That should do it for you. Good luck!

I have the same problem..I have garmin colorado 300, tryed IE ang Google..not working...nothing work...I think it's a problem of programmers this website

Here's a workaround.. The F12/Emulation/Document mode/9 workaround is required on Garmin.com after their Communicator Plugin 4.1.0 is newly installed and then not detected. On Geocaching.com the small download box does not detect it and the workaround is again required. I noticed the problem after installing Windows 8.1, IE 11 on my 64 & 32 bit machines.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows8_1/garmin-communicator-plugin/7a1f16d5-81fc-47cd-a712-276e9bc37414?tm=1389212116543

It's a common problem experienced by many on this forum including myself. I also use Windows 8.1 but it's IE 11 that caused the problem for me. You have two choices; use another browser like Chrome or Firefox or, if you wish to stay with IE 11, go to geocaching.com and, using the browser tools, enter that website onto the compatibility view list. That should do it for you. Good luck!

Hi

Going to Tucson for month on Friday and can't download any caches to my Garmin GPS map 60Cx. Same issue as above; use IE and have no idea how to change so won't.

So, what are the browser tools? and then where do you find the compatibility view list? Sorry but computer idiot here.

Thanks

Edited by oneshot48

Hi

Going to Tucson for month on Friday and can't download any caches to my Garmin GPS map 60Cx. Same issue as above; use IE and have no idea how to change so won't.

So, what are the browser tools? and then where do you find the compatibility view list? Sorry but computer idiot here.

Thanks

Got it figured out and thanks for info on this and another forum post.

Brilliant, luvvinbird, at least it is to me as an almost tech-illiterate. Followed your advice and it all worked as before. :)

Begs the question of what went wrong when Communicator Plugin 4.1 was downloaded?? :anibad:

It's not about what went wrong when Communicator Plugin was downloaded, it's what went wrong when Microsoft decided to build a s***ty browser. The communicator plugin is only the tip of the iceberg. My school's blackboard site has known issues with IE that don't exist in other browsers.

Thank you, this worked by using Chrome.