Underwater Caches

Omicron

Hey All...been doing some searching, and I can't seem to find any underwater caches. Is this because they don't exist, or am I just being dense? I'm looking for any cache that would require scuba diving to find - I suppose snorkeling would be OK as well, but I would prefer one where diving would be a requirement.

Just curious if you know of any of these caches in Wisconsin!

quote:
Originally posted by Omicron:

Hey All...been doing some searching, and I can't seem to find any underwater caches. Is this because they don't exist, or am I just being dense? I'm looking for any cache that would require scuba diving to find - I suppose snorkeling would be OK as well, but I would prefer one where diving would be a requirement.

Just curious if you know of any of these caches in Wisconsin!

There's one in southern Wisconsin called "Under Where?" I have not been to it, but many have. It was named a WGA cache of the month. It's out of comission at the moment, but should be back soon. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=25257

In searching for

GC75A2 The Sunken Treasure of Fishtrap Lake

my GPSr lost its signal when I was snorkeling on the surface with my GPSr less than 1 foot under the surface. It might have been because the signal was being blocked by my body too. My GPSr (Garmin) has a rating of IPX7 or submerged to 1 meter for 30 minutes.

After logging my prior note, I searched and found the underwater cache in Indiana, it looks awesome and wish I found it earlier this summer. That would be awesome to place one in the quarries I dive at in Ohio. I was primarily joking about the "navy GPSr", sorry, I have a dry sarcastic humor that's tough to put into text. It's pretty obvious how you need to search. I don't think I want to Dive with my eTrex even though they say it is waterproof to a degree. Later,

JBird77

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Here's what I remember from my dive class. You know those nifty waterproof disposable cameras? They are only good for 10 - 15 feet underwater. At that point the plastic begins to implode from the pressure. Even the $100-$150 so-called waterproof cameras have the same limitation. The only truely waterproof solution is a Nikon = many $$$

My point is, even though my Garmin SAYS it's waterproof, I really attribute that to rain-storm protection, not submersion protection.

Maybe there's some sort of clear dive-box of a thick material that would withstand pressure. No amount of zip-lock bagging will help at all below a few feet.

This sounds like a fun idea. If anyone has the solution, I'll be looking for it in the coming days.

Even though you can make your GPS waterproof, that does not make it usuable underwater.

I don't have the definitive answer but the GPS signal will not penetrate very far through water. Why don't GPS units work under heavy tree cover? It's due to the loss of signal from the blockage of water-containing foilage. Dry wood does not block the signals very much but rain and heavy cloud cover do interfere with reception.

Submarines can only receive special utlra-low frequency radio signals underwater. There are special transmitters for their navigation use.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Those disposable camaras actually can go much deeper than the rated 10-15ft. Its not the plastic emploding that hinders them, it is the winding wheel mechanism. I have taken the cheep disposables 40ft free diving and winding it after I reach the surface for a breath, then going back down for another shot and it was fine doing that all throughout the dive and the pics came out ok, no leakage or anything.

migo_sig_logo.jpg