650 FTFs?

jellis

Went out to do the Eagle has landed GeoArt. I hiked a section and noticed that the logs were prestamped under the FTF spot and only one set of footprints. So I figured it was the placer dropping the caches. Some areas the footprints looked older some newer and one section a vehicle was driven to each cache which is a NO NO here because the CO had permission to place these on an Indian Reservation and I doubt they allow driving off road. I was excited and thought I would get FTF on these but before I could log even one, someone started logging FTF the day before saying they were with a group of 16 and were FTF on all 650 in one day. The section I hiked was 80 caches in 6 hours for about 8 miles or more.

Edited by jellis

It's the latest scam, based on the idea that everybody in the group takes credit for a find. People declare themselves to be a group, then they go their separate ways and find different caches, then reassemble at the end of the day and each person claims they found every cache. sounds absurd to me but some people call that geocaching.

Do you like movies? Here's an idea. Get 16 people together, then split up each person going to a different movie. reassemble at the end of the day, then claim you saw 16 movies today!

Edited by Fridge01

Went out to do the Eagle has landed GeoArt. I hiked a section and noticed that the logs were prestamped under the FTF spot and only one set of footprints. So I figured it was the placer dropping the caches. Some areas the footprints looked older some newer and one section a vehicle was driven to each cache which is a NO NO here because the CO had permission to place these on an Indian Reservation and I doubt they allow driving off road. I was excited and thought I would get FTF on these but before I could log even one, someone started logging FTF the day before saying they were with a group of 16 and were FTF on all 650 in one day. The section I hiked was 80 caches in 6 hours for about 8 miles or more.

Since FTF is a personal stat that is not officially tracked, if you feel that you were FTF on those 80 caches, go ahead and count them.

If you weren't the first signature on the log, you weren't FTF.

Even if they were idiots and driving where they shouldn't or logging caches they didn't find.

I saw that issue before. FTF beat STF by about one minute. STF had parked at the closest legal parking spot and walked to GZ. FTF parked closer to GZ in a no-parking zone. STF called FTF a cheater.

:omnomnom:

Even if they were idiots and driving where they shouldn't or logging caches they didn't find.

I saw that issue before. FTF beat STF by about one minute. STF had parked at the closest legal parking spot and walked to GZ. FTF parked closer to GZ in a no-parking zone. STF called FTF a cheater.

Yes, that was cheating. However, they still got their greedy little hands on that film cannister first!

The whole FTF game within the game concept is laughable. Everyone can make up their own rules to do whatever they want with their stats. I don't play that game, but a few weeks ago did manage to find a clean log sheet on the way to breakfast. As I was replacing the container someone else showed up so I handed it to them. In their log they claimed they were co-FTF. How do you find something first if someone else already has it in their hand and you did not arrive with them?

Except if every one in the group didn't even find every cache then 15 shouldn't be able to claim the find at all let alone the FTF. The problem the CO has is not knowing who's log to delete because you can't tell who really did find the cache.

I think the first to find game is taken to seriously by some but I really do not like when someone claims a find when they were not there just because they are part of a caching group.

What could have occurred is that the 16 people stripped down naked, covered themselves in Crisco oil, and squeezed into something like an old Chevy Blazer, or possibly a Subaru Outback. At each cache they all hopped out and meticulously searched for the cache until one found it. Then they all grabbed brooms strapped to the roof and restored the footprints on the ground to the way it was and got back in and went on to the next one. With 15 women participating, it sounds like it could be fun.

Except if every one in the group didn't even find every cache then 15 shouldn't be able to claim the find at all let alone the FTF. The problem the CO has is not knowing who's log to delete because you can't tell who really did find the cache.

I do not know the case mentioned in this thread. There has been a case in my area recently where a group of 10+ people who all have their own accounts (and normally use those) logged a considerable number of difficult puzzle caches and long multi caches within one afternoon (it is impossible to visit all of them even within a whole day) under a newly invented team account name (let's call it teamX just for the sake of demonstration) that they only used for that day. All of them then logged finds for all these caches online and mentioned that they have been member of teamX. Some cache owners checked the log books and realized that different handwritings were used and that in most cases only a signature for teamX was present (in a few cases additionaly there were signatures by a subset of the 10+ individuals).

Some cache owners then wanted to delete the individual logs or even did so. However, Groundspeak decided that all logs are allowed and that it is legitimate to make up team names and only use those even under circumstances as mentioned above. They argued with nano caches even though not a single caches of the affected ones was a nano and most of them were of size small with logbooks that offer ample of space.

The problem lies a level higher. Groundspeak unfortunately officially tolerates such behaviour.

Cezanne

What could have occurred is that the 16 people stripped down naked, covered themselves in Crisco oil, and squeezed into something like an old Chevy Blazer, or possibly a Subaru Outback. At each cache they all hopped out and meticulously searched for the cache until one found it. Then they all grabbed brooms strapped to the roof and restored the footprints on the ground to the way it was and got back in and went on to the next one. With 15 women participating, it sounds like it could be fun.

Using this method one doesn't get their knickers in a twist.

The problem lies a level higher. Groundspeak unfortunately officially tolerates such behaviour.

Edited by tozainamboku

Here are some other fun things they can claim which are equally untrue and important to no one but them.

I am Napoleon Emperor of France!

I got a $1,000,000 back on my taxes by claiming 25 dependence!

I once caught a 96" brook trout but released it!

I once drank 10 bottles of Tabasco to prove how cool I am!

I found 100,000 geocaches by looking in their general direction!

I moved a 1,000,000 TBs by randomly guessing the TB code!

I am immune to all forms of herpes!

:drama:

So where do you expect Groundspeak to draw the line? How do you expect them to ban leapfrogging and other divide-and-conquer "shortcuts"?

Do you expect them to ban team names? I've been on a number of group caching trips where we signed many of the logs with a temporary team name (e.g., "GBA Kayakers" or "GBA Evil Cache Run"). I don't see a problem with that, especially for blinkers and other nano-caches, where having everyone sign individually would use up most of the log space, or for high-terrain micro-caches where saving log space allows the CO more time between maintenance trips. And even when the same group is there for all the caches, different people will sign the team name at each cache, so the handwriting will be different for each log.

Sure, leapfrogging and other divide-and-conquer "shortcuts" are an absurd application of this "team name" concept, but where do you expect Groundspeak to draw the line? If someone says they were part of "Team Xyzzy" and there is a "Team Xyzzy" signature on the physical log, then the basic "once the physical log has been signed" requirement has been met. You can argue that the "finding the cache" part of "finding the cache and signing the log" wasn't met, but if the log is signed, what criteria should be used to rule the signature invalid?

So where do you expect Groundspeak to draw the line? How do you expect them to ban leapfrogging and other divide-and-conquer "shortcuts"?

None of my caches was affected and I had guessed how Groundspeak would react right from the beginning due to experiences I made over the years.

What most cachers in my area would expect and what seems quite natural to me is to do allow the cache owners to delete logs that are clearly bogus logs.

When there is a log book of decent size with space for a few further years and the cache page is not a copy and paste page either, then these cache owners expect at least that the aliases of all visitors are listed in the log book.

Do you expect them to ban team names? I've been on a number of group caching trips where we signed many of the logs with a temporary team name (e.g., "GBA Kayakers" or "GBA Evil Cache Run"). I don't see a problem with that, especially for blinkers and other nano-caches, where having everyone sign individually would use up most of the log space, or for high-terrain micro-caches where saving log space allows the CO more time between maintenance trips.

As I said no blinkers, nano caches or high terrain micros were among the caches where the cache owners wished they could delete some logs.

None of the caches was a powertrail cache or close to a powertrail cache. Some of the caches get maybe 20 visits per year (if one eliminates this group visit) and are quite challenging.

One of the cache owners who argued with Groundspeak about his caches explained the situation in detail and still after the Christmas break the decision was then that even in this specific case team logs are ok.

The statement in the guidelines that cache owners should delete bous logs does not make much sense under these circumstances. Log as TeamBlaBla and later on 100 people can claim that they have been part of TeamBlaBla.

From my point of view this is just another example how mass caching has ruined a lot. 10 years ago such problems did not exist at all. People had time to sign the caches they visited and they had time to visit the caches they logged.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

But 10 years ago people weren't so concerned with numbers much either. The game has evolved since 2004.

Many would argue that the game has devolved since 2004.

Maybe. But you'll still find a whole lot of people for whom numbers don't matter much. Some don't even log their finds. Others will log their finds and not be the least concerned with anyone else's numbers. Many won't pay attention to FTF at all. Many choose to ignore power trails and geo-art. Many take the time filter out caches they are not likely to enjoy. Many will will say that the only thing that has changed is how much effort they need to put in in order to have fun. Of those, some portion will claim then need to put in more effort, and others will claim that will all the caches to choose from, it actually takes less effort.

Here are some other fun things they can claim which are equally untrue and important to no one but them.

I am Napoleon Emperor of France!

I got a $1,000,000 back on my taxes by claiming 25 dependence!

I once caught a 96" brook trout but released it!

I once drank 10 bottles of Tabasco to prove how cool I am!

I found 100,000 geocaches by looking in their general direction!

I moved a 1,000,000 TBs by randomly guessing the TB code!

I am immune to all forms of herpes!

:drama:

You forgot "Successfully completed the cinnamon challenge"

What they (probibly) did was silly. Still sounds like some one (one cacher) found it before you so you can't get the FTF on them. Now that you have lost that opportunity, them claiming the FTF and a find at all on the rest is just on them messing up there stats. I'm not saying we are not in it for the numbers as we have a crazy streak so that number is important to us. Collecting numbers can be part of the game for challenges and your own personal goals in playing this game. I personally would hate to look at my stats and see finds that I know I didn't find or FTF's that I know I wasn't even there. It would mess up my entire game here. They will probibly realize that someday. I like this game as a record of where I have been and what I have done but not for finds I haven't done and would want those still there to go find.

Yes, that was cheating. However, they still got their greedy little hands on that film cannister first!

Actually it was an ammo can. ...I remember that cache and the logs vividly, as I sometimes cache in wmpastor's neighborhood. It was a fantastic hike. Any other approach than the posted Trailhead is trespassing illegally and I think in the end the "stf" was the one permitted by the CO to claim "ftf"

Where are we? :ph34r:

I play geocaching the way I wanna do it (within the guideline)from my little corner on earth.

I think people need to stop worry about what other people do. Fair or not.

That's a good attitude.

That said, let's look at what is going on here. The CO gets 15-16 other geocachers to help place his Geoart caches. They split the 650 cache between them. They each place 40+- caches and as a reward, the CO lets them claim finds on all 650. On top of that, they all claim FTF on all 650. Yes, we can each play the game as we choose, but I think that this is a total abomination on how the game is supposed to be played.

Meanwhile, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but if I went out and found some of these caches, and was confident that I was the first cacher to actually find these caches after they were hidden, I would include them in my personal FTF stats.

What they (probibly) did was silly. Still sounds like some one (one cacher) found it before you so you can't get the FTF on them. Now that you have lost that opportunity, them claiming the FTF and a find at all on the rest is just on them messing up there stats. I'm not saying we are not in it for the numbers as we have a crazy streak so that number is important to us. Collecting numbers can be part of the game for challenges and your own personal goals in playing this game. I personally would hate to look at my stats and see finds that I know I didn't find or FTF's that I know I wasn't even there. It would mess up my entire game here. They will probibly realize that someday. I like this game as a record of where I have been and what I have done but not for finds I haven't done and would want those still there to go find.

Great post!

My numbers, and my stats are important to me. I do set goals and I accomplish some of them and fall short of others. If I started logging caches as found when I wasn't even present to help search for them, it would all become meaningless

Edited by Don_J

It's not only the fact they all claimed FTF but it means that not all of the 16 cachers actually went to all of the caches but only a small part. If you were to stretch this GeoArt in a long line I think you would call this Leap Frogging.

It's not only the fact they all claimed FTF but it means that not all of the 16 cachers actually went to all of the caches but only a small part. If you were to stretch this GeoArt in a long line I think you would call this Leap Frogging.

Not really leapfrogging, but they feel that since they were they all part of a collective effort, they are all entitled to the total reward. I personally draw the line on this as to when I am actually on site and involved in the active search.

I remember being part of a 10 mile deep mountain hike that involved about 15 cachers, and 40 potential caches. Towards the end was a 2/4.5 cache that was up in the boulders and well out of sight of the trail. Most of the group went on, but three decided to go for it. I wasn't up for the climb, but I told them that I would wait on the trail in case they ran into trouble. They found the cache, and logged it. I wouldn't dream of logging it as I wasn't part of trying to find it, but two people that were part of the overall group did, even though they were 3/4's of a mile down the trail when it was found. I look at their numbers, which are multiples of mine and just kind wonder.

It's the latest scam, based on the idea that everybody in the group takes credit for a find. People declare themselves to be a group, then they go their separate ways and find different caches, then reassemble at the end of the day and each person claims they found every cache. sounds absurd to me but some people call that geocaching.

Do you like movies? Here's an idea. Get 16 people together, then split up each person going to a different movie. reassemble at the end of the day, then claim you saw 16 movies today!

That's actually been around for a looong time. I've seen it referred to as 'divide & conquer'. ;)

It was a fantastic hike. Any other approach than the posted Trailhead is trespassing illegally and I think in the end the "stf" was the one permitted by the CO to claim "ftf"

There may be cetrtain people who are legally allowed to trespass by vehicle. No need to deny them the caching experience even if they seem to have an advantage.

Why I won't recognize any FTF folks on my pages unless I know them to be law abiding and didn't act inappropriately. I don't think I've had any on my hides yet, but I simply don't know. Probably change once I get to know some other geocachers. Edited by ^up

Why I won't recognize any FTF folks on my pages unless I know them to be law abiding and didn't act inappropriately. I don't think I've had any on my hides yet, but I simply don't know. Probably change once I get to know some other geocachers.

I agree. I wouldn't congratulate them on my cache page either.

So the OP is saying it is not fair that a group that got the FTF were the one that help placed it? I really don't care, really! Those large geoart is alot of work, especially when there are plenty of hiking. If the CO want to give those FTF to the one that really help him out, all the power to him! If I was the CO if a super large project, I would gave the FTF to the ones that help me out. Thats my way to reward them for taking their time and money to help me out.

There is no rules/guidelines around the FTF game. I will say it again, there is no rules/guidelines around the FTF game. Its still the wild west as far I am concern and anything can happen. I know there are plenty of unwritten rules, but... sigh...they aren't rules because Groundspeak doesn't enforce it.

I am so glad that Groundspeak stay out of the FTF game and take no part of it.

There are more to life than FTF and how many caches you found. So with that out of the way, go out and have fun. That what I do... I am having fun and I careless about how other play the game but I get tired of whiners that got nothing better to do than to whine how unfair things are.

Where are we? :ph34r:

I play geocaching the way I wanna do it (within the guideline)from my little corner on earth.

I think people need to stop worry about what other people do. Fair or not.

That's a good attitude.

That said, let's look at what is going on here. The CO gets 15-16 other geocachers to help place his Geoart caches. They split the 650 cache between them. They each place 40+- caches and as a reward, the CO lets them claim finds on all 650. On top of that, they all claim FTF on all 650. Yes, we can each play the game as we choose, but I think that this is a total abomination on how the game is supposed to be played.

Meanwhile, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but if I went out and found some of these caches, and was confident that I was the first cacher to actually find these caches after they were hidden, I would include them in my personal FTF stats.

If you read my post I didn't say they placed them. I thought they did since at the time I found the caches there was only one name on it below the FTF spot, not knowing it was a group name and only one set of footprints. But I do believe they had prior knowledge the caches would go live by one of the members who did place them. Some said in their logs making it sound like they just happened to be there when they went live but someone slipped out they knew one of the placers.

Why I won't recognize any FTF folks on my pages unless I know them to be law abiding and didn't act inappropriately. I don't think I've had any on my hides yet, but I simply don't know. Probably change once I get to know some other geocachers.

I agree. I wouldn't congratulate them on my cache page either.

I solved the problem by not congratulating people just because they happen to sign a blank log. Nether have I ever claimed anything for signing a blank log. It makes life a lot simpler than worrying about something that is just a matter of time, geography, and circumstance. But of course people are free to congratulate themselves, as often they do. As long as they leave the prize for the Fourth to Find in the cache.

I would hope that no one would leapfrog their way to one of my caches, but 650 caches seem to invite that kind of thing.

If the CO want to give those FTF to the one that really help him out, all the power to him! If I was the CO if a super large project, I would gave the FTF to the ones that help me out. Thats my way to reward them for taking their time and money to help me out.

That seems to be an issue as FTF is a statement of fact, not an award to be handed out. :rolleyes: You can say that the actions of others should not affect someone's enjoyment of the game, but they do. If someone has a legitimate FTF, but 16 other people are claiming the same thing when they helped hide the series, as well as only visiting a few caches, then yes, that's going to put a damper on it.

If I started logging caches as found when I wasn't even present to help search for them, it would all become meaningless

Exactly it would all become meaningless doing something like that. We have 2 or 3 duplicate logs out there that I guess I messed up and our phone double logged them in the beginning of our caching time. Even those kind of bother me. I have looked into it and can probibly find them but don't want to mess up the work we put into making our 500th find or 1000th find meaningful. I think there is a way to lock them or something but don't want to chance messing it all up. This bothers me now so I can't imagine what a bunch of finds I didn't find would do to my stats. If I had done something like that early I might loose interest in even doing this game at all. I also sometimes wonder what will happen when we end our streak and don't have to find one everyday. I think it will be fine but who knows if I don't have to find one will I? I think I still will. This is to much fun to give up.

So Jellis did someone actually find it before you did or did the person placing it sign it and claim the FTF? That would make a HUGE difference in my mind. If that is the case then I think you were the FTF.

Exactly it would all become meaningless doing something like that. We have 2 or 3 duplicate logs out there that I guess I messed up and our phone double logged them in the beginning of our caching time. Even those kind of bother me. I have looked into it and can probibly find them but don't want to mess up the work we put into making our 500th find or 1000th find meaningful.

That makes exactly zero sense. Those finds weren't actually your milestone finds, and pretending they are will not change that fact. Leaving multiple find logs in order to preserve some mythical divide-by-100 goodness is just sad.

If the CO want to give those FTF to the one that really help him out, all the power to him! If I was the CO if a super large project, I would gave the FTF to the ones that help me out. Thats my way to reward them for taking their time and money to help me out.

There is no rules/guidelines around the FTF game. I will say it again, there is no rules/guidelines around the FTF game. Its still the wild west as far I am concern and anything can happen. I know there are plenty of unwritten rules, but... sigh...they aren't rules because Groundspeak doesn't enforce it.

From my point of the view the real issue here is not the FTF aspect, but the fact that these 16 people could not have visited all 650 caches. I do not think that any cache owner should award people who help him/her by allowing found it logs that are bogus as the finders have not even been at most of the caches.

It's a bit like offering as award for help e.g. to use the neighbour's swimming pool during his absence and when he does not know about it.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Exactly it would all become meaningless doing something like that. We have 2 or 3 duplicate logs out there that I guess I messed up and our phone double logged them in the beginning of our caching time. Even those kind of bother me. I have looked into it and can probibly find them but don't want to mess up the work we put into making our 500th find or 1000th find meaningful.

That makes exactly zero sense. Those finds weren't actually your milestone finds, and pretending they are will not change that fact. Leaving multiple find logs in order to preserve some mythical divide-by-100 goodness is just sad.

Makes no sense to me either as i would know that i was just lying to myself. My stats would be wrong, both in accurate find count and milestone placement. Sure i'd be irritated with myself for not keeping things straight but i'd still rather correct the problems and get back on track now instead of keeping my stats innaccurate forever.

FTF game, i've slowed down but still enjoy it from time to time. I'm lucky in that, as far as i know, the cachers in my area who play it use basic common sense as to what constitutes a ftf. I suppose that if a large number of caches came out, that a team might be formed to "divide and conquer". Hopefully that won't ever happen but if it does, then that team will get my heavy duty, Good For You Eyeroll. :rolleyes: