Nuvi 2597LMT

thebuddhaman

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 2597 LMT. I am able to pair it to my iPhone with the smart link app, but I can't figure out how to transfer cache coords from the iPhone to the Nuvi. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.

Unfortunately, the Bluetooth pairing on the Nuvi series appears to only be a means of "hands-free" use of the phone. While useful in older vehicles without Bluetooth support for phones, it's rather redundant in vehicles with Bluetooth pairing. I had hopes of pairing my Nuvi with my F-150's SYNC system so that it would automatically drop stereo volume and play the driving instructions through the stereo, but turns out, nope, no can do. Nuvi will not pair with SYNC. Not compatible. Since my IPhone is already paired SYNC for hands-free phone use, there's not much point in pairing it with the Nuvi. There is a lot of hype about the Bluetooth capabilities of the Nuvi, but it's just hype. No real usefulness that I can find. If you're using the phone in map mode, it will also send messages to the GPS to play, but again, I find very little usefulness for this in the more advanced Nuvi models that provide that function.

So, unfortunately, you're stuck with transferring the files to the PC, then to the Nuvi via BaseCamp. There is no file transfer protocol in the Bluetooth interface. I too was hoping for a wireless means of putting data in the Nuvi. Not happening. Well, not unless someone else had found a way to unlock the Bluetooth restrictions in the Nuvi. Still banging my head against that wall, and removing unwanted waypoints (for caching, of course) when I'm done with a trip without having to use the menus on the unit (BaseCamp will very happily write to the unit, but won't delete anything). I'm also trying to figure out how to change the waypoint symbol files to something besides the pitiful green and white things that come in the Nuvi. Not everything saved as a waypoint is loved that much that it needs a heart on it, and something different might just be a little more informative. After all, if it's capable of displaying Exxon signs ......