Problems with Caches Along a Route

Over the years I have used "Caches Along a Route", whenever we go on long drives and have known that a few caches every now and then get left. But this time I have a Dead Zone. I've made the route public in hopes someone can help figure out whats going on.

The name of the route is: Z-8-9

The description is: Dead Zone

The "Search Radius" is at 6.21 mi and the "Show Me" is at 1000. The "Any Cache Type" and "Any Container Type" are checked. Everything else is unchecked or unchanged.

Here is what the area looks like with and without using "Caches Along a Route".

Z-8-9.jpg

So does anyone have a clue what's wrong or how to fix it?

Tobias

This is a known issue that has been around for quite a while. The problem seems to affect the last leg of a route, meaning the length between the second-to-last node in the route and the final point. The best work-around is to add an additional point to the route close to the end so that the issue does not affect such a noticeably large section of the overall route.

This is a known issue that has been around for quite a while. The problem seems to affect the last leg of a route, meaning the length between the second-to-last node in the route and the final point. The best work-around is to add an additional point to the route close to the end so that the issue does not affect such a noticeably large section of the overall route.

This "work-around" means that I will need to plot the route by hand instead of just picking two points on Google Earth and letting it draw the path for me. This extra work will add a little over 20 minutes to the planning of a 1000 mile trip. :laughing:

Why my caches is showing up on that map? :ph34r:

Because we will be driving through that area and might look for a few more of your hides. So far we have found three of them. We really enjoy Rest Stop hides. :D

This "work-around" means that I will need to plot the route by hand instead of just picking two points on Google Earth and letting it draw the path for me. This extra work will add a little over 20 minutes to the planning of a 1000 mile trip. :laughing:

Shouldn't take 20 minutes. Should take more like 1. On Google Maps you can place "via" markers. Just put one near each end of the route. Voila.

Shouldn't take 20 minutes. Should take more like 1. On Google Maps you can place "via" markers. Just put one near each end of the route. Voila.

Or, just extend the route by a little bit and then add a via point where your original end point was. That should give you exactly what you originally intended.

Thanks to Moun10bike for explaining what the issue is. It's really a simple workaround.

Why my caches is showing up on that map? :ph34r:

Back on topic,

Back in Nov, I was right in the middle of a cross country trip when GS cache along the route failed. So I found another way to get the job done and its many time better. Its a macro called GetCachesOnRoute for GSAK.

So there's your fifteen minutes of fame, pig. Don't waste it. :anibad:

Or, just extend the route by a little bit and then add a via point where your original end point was. That should give you exactly what you originally intended.

Thanks to Moun10bike for explaining what the issue is. It's really a simple workaround.

Just take your end marker and move it a little ways down a side road just past where you want the route to end. That way, the turning point on the main road will then be the next-to-last node.

It doesn't appear to be the problem here, but you also have to make sure that the PQ returns less caches than the limit (1000 in this case). If not, you have to decrease the length or width of the route. I believe that GS uses the date placed to determine the order that caches get added to the PQ list. The PQ will appear to cover the entire route, but newer caches will be missing.

I'm going to need a little help with this.

On "Google Maps" I see how this can be done, but I don't see a way to save it as a KML file.

On "Google Earth" I don't see a way to add a via point to the route I created.

So what am I missing?

Tobias

On "Google Maps" I see how this can be done, but I don't see a way to save it as a KML file.

So what am I missing?

That the routes on Google Maps and Google Earth are identical? Just use Google Maps for your route instead of Google Earth.

So what am I missing?

That the routes on Google Maps and Google Earth are identical? Just use Google Maps for your route instead of Google Earth.

Ideally, you should be able to do this entirely on Geocaching.com, stating at http://www.geocaching.com/my/userroutes.aspx. Is this the Google map that you are using, or are you creating your route at Google.com?

It does seem that there is an issue on Geocaching.com as I can't seem to click the map to create a start and end point. This is using FF 27.0.1, and IE 11. I can create a route by entering start and end points manually. Once that is done, I can add nodes and drag them where I like.

Note, if you are creating the route by using, "Get Directions", at maps.google.com, you can add nodes by dragging the line where you want it. You then have to save it to My Maps, (scroll to the bottom of the driving directions). The next screen will give you a link for a kml file that you can then upload to geocaching.com.