AWESOME CAtegory Proposal #2

You seen them in restaurants. You've read about them in the newspaper or online or even TV.

My newest AWESOME Category Proposal #2 is to locate and document any and all locations where there are venues that cater to those with ravenous appetites. We're talking about food-eating contests held annually for at least the past five years (this could possibly fall into the Festivals category as well) to include venues like pie-eating contests, hot dog eating contests, buffalo wing-eating contests or any contest that includes eating the most whatever in a given period of time. This potential category could also include eateries around the world that offer their own in-house contests to include eating a super-size pizza, that 80 oz. Porterhouse steak, or a XXX-Large Fatburger (where I got the idea), any place where the patron's reward for accomplishing a gutbusting challenge could be a free meal and a picture or certificate of accomplishment as well as bragging rights.

I know these locations and venues exist worldwide and I've looked through all 1072 categories and couldn't find anything that this proposal would fit into (except for the Festivals category for annual events).

I got this idea while visiting a Fatburger franchise recently, and seeing 'The XXX Challenge' picture board hanging on the wall showing all the patrons that have accomplished this hamburger-eating feat. They even have a website page devoted to this challenge. My own hometown has a pizza joint that offers the "Willy's Cheese and Wine Colossal Pizza Challenge' that bakes a gigantic pizza and gives it away for free if it can be eaten in one hour by no more than four adults. They've had this contest going for over 25 years.

I'm hoping I've got a great idea here and excited to hear any feedback, good or bad. Do we have a winner here? :grin:

Hey Beav.

My first thoughts on this category idea:

For eating contests that are only held once a year, unless you are there at the event, there's really nothing to visit.

For eating contests that are held continually (If you eat this within a certain time frame, you get a prize), that category proposal would be easier for me to swallow.

Just a crazy idea: this MIGHT be something for Photo Goals: take a photo of yourself participating in an eating contest? But you might get criticized for encouraging gluttony. :rolleyes: Just saying.

Edited by Max and 99

Hey Beav.

My first thoughts on this category idea:

For eating contests that are only held once a year, unless you are there at the event, there's really nothing to visit.

For eating contests that are held continually (If you eat this within a certain time frame, you get a prize), that category proposal would be easier for me to swallow.

Just a crazy idea: this MIGHT be something for Photo Goals: take a photo of yourself participating in an eating contest? But you might get criticized for encouraging gluttony. :rolleyes: Just saying.

The annual food challenge events would be more 'challenging' to waymark for the reason that you would have to be there to witness it and waymark it but it still could serve a purpose in a 'Food Challenges' category. I just changed the title to this since I think it is a little more generic and would cover any and all locations where there is an event or a contest that involves eating large quantities of food.

I did a quick Google search and came across a couple of websites devoted to food challenge events in the USA and other countries. Here are a couple of links to give people an idea of what I'm talking about:

Food eating challeges

Food challenge events

The International Federation of Competitive Eating (IFOCE) hosts nearly 50 "Major League Eating" events across North America every year. I would assume other countries hold similar events as well. In addition there are numerous establishments across America that host their own food-eating contest/challenge.

I think this would be a really neat category to see just how many establishments out there have their own challenges and what they entail!

A while ago a category proposal was brought down in peer review for not being permanently available, although it was well worked out and had quite broad support here in the forum. So I doubt the Limited Availability section will receive any additions in the near future.

Another thing is the topic. If my favorite restaurant would start doing eating contests, this would be the last time I'd be there. I personally really do not like the idea.

So...

No love for eateries around the world that have a food challenge? No waymarkers out there that would tackle a XXX cheeseburger? Super-sized pizza? Eat 25 hot wings in 10 minutes?

I'm a little surprised no one seems receptive to this idea. I personally find it interesting to read about all the establishments that offer their own personal gutbuster challenge. I've participated in one myself (years ago when I could eat a lot more).

I'll stay patient and hope some diehard waymarkers see this post and jump on my lonely bandwagon.

:sad:

So...

No love for eateries around the world that have a food challenge? No waymarkers out there that would tackle a XXX cheeseburger? Super-sized pizza? Eat 25 hot wings in 10 minutes?

I'm a little surprised no one seems receptive to this idea. I personally find it interesting to read about all the establishments that offer their own personal gutbuster challenge. I've participated in one myself (years ago when I could eat a lot more).

I'll stay patient and hope some diehard waymarkers see this post and jump on my lonely bandwagon.

Another thought. One would NOT be required to participate in a food eating challenge to waymark it. One would only have to come across one in a restaurant or similar venue, much like the Fatburger XXX-Fatburger challenge I saw recently.

So...

No. I'm sorry but I don't find it awesome at all. It rather looks like unhealthy and self-destructive obsession to me :blink:

I would understand and vote for regular repetitive (e.g. annual) gastronomy festivals category, that may include such competitions like you described, under certain conditions. Gastronomy festivals typically introduce or promote local food or - in oposite - food from foreign countries. Typically once per year, at same location. Most famous is beerfest in Munich, I would say, to name one example.

This would be all - global, interesting, not redundant and not too mundane.

Good category eye!

When I visited my daughter and son-in-law a while back, we went non a geocaching trip to pick up a couple new states and stopped by a local eatery - real country stuff. But they had one of these challenges - a giant burger of some sort, I think. You know, free if you can eat the whole thing within a specified time. They had winners posted on the wall. I think a Waymarking category for these places is a great idea!

Food eating contests, etc. are another possibility, but deserve their own category.

Good category eye!

When I visited my daughter and son-in-law a while back, we went non a geocaching trip to pick up a couple new states and stopped by a local eatery - real country stuff. But they had one of these challenges - a giant burger of some sort, I think. You know, free if you can eat the whole thing within a specified time. They had winners posted on the wall. I think a Waymarking category for these places is a great idea!

Food eating contests, etc. are another possibility, but deserve their own category.

Yes! I was hoping a BIG GUN in the Waymarking community would jump on my bandwagon and very happy to see silverquill supporting this!

I guess the only confusion I have with your answer, silverquill, is devoting a separate category for food eating events? Food-eating contests exist for both venues and although food eating events may be an annual, reoccurring event, I don't see why they couldn't be included in the same category devoted to eateries that also offer food-eating contests. Just my personal opinion.

I think I'll start a group and invite anyone who feels this potential category has a fart's chance in hades to make it through Peer Review to join it by letting me know here. B)

Enough waymarkers joined Glutinous Gorgers group to enable me to create a 'Food Eating Contests' category. I'm in the midst of putting together a writeup and will post the category link here for all to give me their thoughts/suggestions/encouragement...

I REALLY do think this category can be something very entertaining and FUN! I, personally, would love to see all the eateries around the world that offer their own eating contests and which food items take the spotlight over others. The contests could ALSO include beverages as well!

Stay tuned...

B)

I see these as contradictions:

You are required be witness to a food eating contest, either as a spectator or as a participant to submit a waymark

and

You do not have to partake in this glutinous affair to waymark it into this category. You only have to discover a food eating contest at a food establishment and show proof that one exists by way of photos, a website and/or any other documentation that backs it up.

Folks, I've tweaked the verbiage some more to hopefully read better and the category officers voted the category approval. This is now ready for Peer Review but wanted to post the link to the category one last time for any comments/suggestions:

Food Eating Contests

If I don't get any feedback by tomorrow morning, I'll submit this category for Peer Review.

Thanks,

Doug

thebeav69

For eating contests that are offered daily (eat the steak within an hour and it's free), what exactly does a VISITOR to the waymark do? They don't have to participate in the eating contest. They DO, however, have to eat at the restaurant and post a photo of proof they were there? Since no drive-by waymarks are allowed, this implies (in my mind) that I must eat at the restaurant.

Correct?

For eating contests that are offered daily (eat the steak within an hour and it's free), what exactly does a VISITOR to the waymark do? They don't have to participate in the eating contest. They DO, however, have to eat at the restaurant and post a photo of proof they were there? Since no drive-by waymarks are allowed, this implies (in my mind) that I must eat at the restaurant.

Correct?

Ok, it looks like I'll need to clarify this point as well. The answer to your question is 'No', one does NOT have to patronize a food establishment to waymark a food eating contest.

Say you're walking by a restaurant and you see a poster advertisement or a 'Wall of Fame' referencing a food eating contest. You take a few pictures of this food challenge advertisement and BAM. You've just finished half the battle. Maybe this food challenge has a website advertising it as well (visit our Facebook/web page to see our Wall of Fame!). Maybe you even WITNESS a patron or two tackling a food challenge. All these factors help in establishing a waymark. There are chains of restaurants around the country that offer their own food challenges. You visit any one of a chain of restaurants or an independent eatery and one could waymark any one of these locations. I hope this helps.

Correct?

Ok, it looks like I'll need to clarify this point as well. The answer to your question is 'No', one does NOT have to patronize a food establishment to waymark a food eating contest.

Say you're walking by a restaurant and you see a poster advertisement or a 'Wall of Fame' referencing a food eating contest. You take a few pictures of this food challenge advertisement and BAM. You've just finished half the battle. Maybe this food challenge has a website advertising it as well (visit our Facebook/web page to see our Wall of Fame!). Maybe you even WITNESS a patron or two tackling a food challenge. All these factors help in establishing a waymark. There are chains of restaurants around the country that offer their own food challenges. You visit any one of a chain of restaurants or an independent eatery and one could waymark any one of these locations. I hope this helps.

My question is regarding VISITING a waymark, not posting one:

But isn't JUST taking a photo of the restaurant, without eating at the establishment, considered "drive-by Waymarking"?

Good point. I know many waymarkers would take a picture of a building and call it good. I'll include some verbiage in the visitor description that a picture INSIDE the establishment is required in order to classified as a visit. This way, it will encourage people to spend the time to take in the surroundings.

In my mind, that's the same as requiring someone to eat there. Who is going to go INSIDE the building, take a photo, then leave? Awkward!

Good point. I know many waymarkers would take a picture of a building and call it good. I'll include some verbiage in the visitor description that a picture INSIDE the establishment is required in order to classified as a visit. This way, it will encourage people to spend the time to take in the surroundings.

In my mind, that's the same as requiring someone to eat there. Who is going to go INSIDE the building, take a photo, then leave? Awkward!

I'm not going to require a waymarker who visits a food establishment to patronize the place but I AM requiring a minimum of two original photos to count as a visit, with one of them being taken from inside (helps to prevent drive-by waymark visits).

I've made the changes in the description.

OK, this category was just sent to Peer Review. I've tweaked the description verbiage to hopefully read better and explain all requirements of the category in a sufficient manner. I'm sure there may be little things I forgot or didn't keep in mind and I'm sure we'll hear about it in the comments!

Crossing fingers....

Judging by the comments in Peer Review, I think the concept of this category has been misunderstood.

It isn't about FESTIVAL CONTESTS. It is about restaurants which offer a meal or dish which has to be consumed in a given time frame (or with no time restrictions), where if you eat all of this item you get a "prize". This could be a T-Shirt, the meal for FREE, or just your name on a plaque on the wall.

The TRAVEL CHANNEL had a show called Man vs. Food - (that's a link) which the host ventured to different restaurant which featured these contests.

I used to work for a pizza restaurant (Pantera's Pizza) in San Antonio, TX, which featured a TEN POUND PIZZA. The contest was if you could eat it in under an hour you got the pizza free (you had to pay up front) plus FIFTY DOLLARS. The restaurant opened it's first store in San Marcos TX, near what was SOUTHWEST TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY. (Now it is Texas State University, San Marcos - The name was changed to try to change the schools "Party" image.) Many college students attempted this eating feat, and many failed.

In Amarillo, there is the BIG TEXAN RESTAURANT (that's another link) which offers a 72 oz steak eating contest. You must consume the a 72 oz steak, salad, baked potato, and a roll with butter in one hour. The night I was there, two people attempted this challenge. One was victorious, the other didn't fair so well. (SPOILER - This is going to be my submission to this category should it pass peer review) If you are able to eat all of this, you get reimbursed the cost of the meal and you get a T-Shirt.

The description lists several other restaurants (NOT FESTIVALS) which offer similar contests.

As for the TWO PHOTOS - A picture of the restaurant (or maybe the sign outside) and someone who is participating in the challenge. I have both of those in my waymark I intend to submit to this category. When I was at the Big Texan there were so many people taking pictures of the contestants that they were wearing sunglasses from all the flashbulbs going off!

Just thought I'd show a little support for a fellow Waymarker. (and no, I am not a Leader in this category)

So... The Peer Review is about to end and it looks like a mixed bag of results. From reading the comments, it looks like many waymarkers do not want Food Eating 'Events' as part of this category.

I will omit food eating events from the category and leave it up to the Festivals category to sponsor these.

I also will eliminate the two-photo minimum requirement for a visit. One original photo taken of the establishment will suffice. BUT.... It will STILL have to be a photo from INSIDE the establishment to be accepted. That will prevent a DRIVE-BY waymark visit of a building for someone passing by and not even spending the extra minute or two to actually do a walk-through. Sorry, but I'm a stickler for a proper 'visit'.

Some of the comments about this potential category were somewhat narrow-minded in scope, with personal opinions about the individual who may partake in a food-eating contest as 'disgusting' and a 'disgrace to the human health'. My answer to these comments, and quoting what Team Sieni said: "...misquoting Voltaire: I disapprove of what you Waymark, but will defend to the death your right to Waymark it."

I AM going to tweak this category's writeup and re-submit it for Peer Review. Hopefully, with events omitted and visit requirements taken down a notch, it will convince a few more waymarkers to vote 'Yea'.

Stay tuned....

Well, the Food Eating Contests category was denied in Peer Review but after reading all the 'Nay' comments, I find it troubling that so many waymarkers felt it necessary to jump on their soapboxes and preach their opinions on worldwide hunger issues, etc. These same waymarkers have no issue with Waymarking/visiting the numerous fast food categories that exist, which essentially promotes obesity and other health issues, IMHO. I know this because I viewed the profiles of many of these naysayers and found their opinions very hypocritical.

Just because YOU don't find a category interesting doesn't mean it doesn't have merit. I agree in hindsight that this category should have focused strictly on food eating contests and NOT include events as well, since some 'challenged' folks STILL could not separate the two, although it was clearly spelled out in the long description. I also agree that I should have loosened the visiting requirements for waymark visits. My goal was to prevent the 'drive-by waymarker visit'.

I'll give this category idea some time to cool down and will re-write the description again, sans events and better visiting requirements and give it another go down the road.

Stay tuned...