How to Transfer Cache's from ASUS Android Tablet to Garmin Montana 650t

rocket1lf

I have an ASUS android tablet. I'm trying to transfer cache's to my Garmin Montana 650t. It tells me I need the Garmin Communicator Plug In, but Garmin doesn't support Android devices. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can do this? Thx

You should create GPX files through a pocket query and transfer them to the garmin/GPX folder on your unit, or the units sd card. A lot of people use OTG cables to transfer files from Androids to a gpsr. If your tablet supports a micro sd card, you could put GPX files on that using an app like ES file explorer.

It would be the same as an Android. Hook up a USB cable and transfer the files.

Actually not the same. With a full Win8 tablet (not the rt) you could download directly.

What do you mean? You would need to hook the tablet to the GPS or put the micro SD card in the tablet to transfer the GPX file to the Montana. There are no computers with the ability to transfer with ANT, that I've heard of.

I have an ASUS SL101 Slider. It does have a USB port and I do have a cable for the GPS. I'm not the brightest light in the box when it comes to computers. I can get around one. I'll have to try this and see if it works for me. As I understand it, I need to download the GPX file to the ASUS and then transfer it to the GPS or can I just transfer the GPX file directly to the GPS through the tablet?

Hmm. This thread interested me because I have a Nexus 7. I tried connecting it to my Garmin 60CSx via the OTG cable and though the Garmin recognized the connection (at least for charging) I didn't know how to access or transfer any files. File Manager didn't show anything on the Garmin. Either it won't work or, more likely, I don't know how to make it work.

This is a landmine of conflated issues.

Unrooted Nexus 7 doesn't allow writes to USB mass storage mode.

60CSx doesn't transfer waypoints - read or write - via SD card.

60CSx requires Garmin protocol to transfer waypoints. I know of no Android implementation of Garmin protocol.

For Garmin devices that really, really support SD card (not the half-baked implementation that's in 60CSx) writing to SD is the way to go IF you have a tablet with an SD slot; solutions requiring external USB OTG cables are more dicey because of (1). So it worked well in my TF101, but I'd expect an unmodified SL101 to not work.

Robert. The guy with the 60csx (bikebill77) did not say anything about transferring waypoints. Best not to confuse the issue. He just asked if he could transfer files. He can transfer maps or custom POIs to a 60CSX.

The OP and the point of this thread is asking about transferring waypoints from an ASUS tablet to a Montana 650t. With the Montana, he can transfer any files he wants.

Sorry - I haven't checked this for a few days and missed some new posts.

I did indeed want to transfer waypoints from the Nexus to the 60CSx. I realize the waypoints reside in the Garmin's internal memory and maps are on the micro SD. What I didn't realize is what Walts Hunting said about putting the GPS in mass storage mode.

So I tried that just now. The Android 'saw' that there was a mass storage device hooked up to the USB port and would read the file structure. But under 'Garmin' it couldn't see anything because those files weren't compatible. Picture files are no problem for the Nexus but overall, it's file recognition is somewhat limited.

I also tried going to the Groundspeak web page to transfer a gpx file from the Nexus right to the 60CSx. The Nexus couldn't see the GPS, of course. I think that RobertLipe may have hit the nail on the head when he said "60CSx requires Garmin protocol to transfer waypoints." and there is no Garmin protocol or driver for the Android. I tried downloading a gpx file onto the Nexus which seemed to work, but I have no idea where it went as now I can't find it.

Incidentally, unrooted Nexus 7's read USB flash drives and SD cards just fine through Media Importer and an OTG cable. In fact, they have 'OTG' flash drives available now with a regular USB on one end and a male micro USB on the other, so no OTG cable is needed. Supposedly Media Importer will 'write' to a flash drive, too, but I haven't tried that yet.

So it was interesting to experiment, but no success.

Edited by bikebill77

You can't. Mass storage mode is for reading the SD card only. The only readable items that can be put on the card are maps and custom POIs. A 60csx cannot read a GPX file. All of the Garmin handhelds newer than the 60csx can read a GPX file from the card or internal memory. You need a newer GPS.

There "may" be some apps. A quick search reveals this one which seems to have the Garmin USB protocol figured out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sibkot.GarminExchanger&hl=en

That looked like a great plan and it says it works with a 60CSx. Plus it's free!

Oddly, I couldn't find it on the Play Store on my Nexus. I looked it up on Chrome and found out why - it's not available in the US! Foiled again. :unsure: