The use of camera phones for waymarks?

Ianatlarge

A few years back there was discussion here about the use of smart phone cameras for waymark photography. The conclusion then was that the photos were just not good enough, however, technology has advanced, and phone cameras have improved. I now have the Samsung Galaxy s4, the photos it takes are good, not as good as my Sony camera, but good. The advantage with the phone, I always have it with me, and it is smaller and lighter.

Do people have an opinion on the use of phone cams? Is there anyone here who does use their phone for waymark photography, if so, how are you finding the quality?

A few years back there was discussion here about the use of smart phone cameras for waymark photography. The conclusion then was that the photos were just not good enough, however, technology has advanced, and phone cameras have improved. I now have the Samsung Galaxy s4, the photos it takes are good, not as good as my Sony camera, but good. The advantage with the phone, I always have it with me, and it is smaller and lighter.

Do people have an opinion on the use of phone cams? Is there anyone here who does use their phone for waymark photography, if so, how are you finding the quality?

Ian,

Great question! I think you hit the nail on the head: the technology today is so much better. Photos taken on the phones shouldn't be an issue these days. I have only used phone pics once, and I doubt the reviewer could tell any difference.

I only use my camera but as has been stated earlier in thread the cameras in smart phones have advanced significantly in the last few years. I just have not mastered taking good photos with my phone though it does take good photos.

Now hopefully I will be able to master my new camera that is supposed to arrive tomorrow, if it escapes the snow in the in eastern U.S.

I specifically bought a super zoom for Waymarking after questions were raised about whether the date on a building, way up on top, was clear enough. Megapixels are one thing, zoom quite another. You can never have enough zoom. It uses AA's so no worries about power supply. I have a cheap smart phone which I purchased as it can get a signal in rural & remote areas more so than most of the better known brands. Its camera is awful & it's smart capabilities, by design, revolve around Geocaching Australia caches.

Still using Canon 450D with 2-3 lenses as photography is my hobby too.

But in good light conditions, there are almost no quality issues will smartphone pics for Waymarking purposes.

Actually just few relevant setbacks of cellphone cameras - 1) limited, only digital zoom (it's just a cut, not zoom in fact), 2) taking pictures after dusk (scenic by night :ph34r: ), 3) taking wide-angle pictures (useful for sceneries, huge objects, indoor, ..), 4) taking long exposure pictures (i.e. for waterfalls).

For 80-90% of occassions is cellphone OK.

My Canon camera conked out a while back, so I'd estimate that less than 20 of my ~450 posted Waymarks have "camera" photos. The vast majority of my Waymarks use photos taken with an iPhone 4s/5s. As already mentioned, one of the biggest downfalls is the lack of zoom, but many Waymark subjects don't require zoom so that usually isn't a problem. I always take the time to edit my photos before posting them to straighten horizons, fix bad colour/exposure, etc., and I'm sure in most cases you wouldn't be able to tell the photos were taken with a smartphone. Here's one I used for my visit of WM3WX:

996fdfc6-a3c4-4252-9946-da8a03a8c40c.JPG

When I review a waymark, I don't care what kind of camera was used; only quality matters. Blurry, under of over exposed, skewed, lack of detail, etc. may cause me to decline a waymark, depending on other factors.

I've got a good pocket digital camera with a fairly wide angle lens and good zoom - and other functions are barely know how to use. In a pinch, I've used my phone to take pictures. Even my Oregon 550 can take pictures. But, if that was all I had to rely on, I would be hard put to do some waymarks that are more challenging to photograph.

I also take the time to edit most of my photos, partly because I'm not that good behind a lens. It is amazing what some simple cropping, straightening and lighting can do to improve an otherwise marginal photo.

Ok, guys. Thanks for your thoughts. I am in fact tending now towards using my cam phone, at least for the more general photos. I will give it a shot (haha), and see how it goes.

Lumbricus -- thanks for the instagram info. I thought it was all just bikini glad women, goes to show.

Edited by Ianatlarge