Education for Trackables

SirDonB

Another thread got me thinking... What points/topics should be covered if teaching a class to geocachers on trackable items like Travel Bugs and Coins?

I think some of the basics should be covered like:

What is a trackable?

What do I do when I find a trackable?

Proper ediquitte - logging, how long to hang on to it, etc.

What are your options via the trackable's page?

Feel free to add anything you think should be talked about. I am thinking about hosting an event specific to teaching other cachers about trackables.

Also please share any tips or tricks you have in regards to trackables. I am going out for foot surgery at the end of the month and will have tons of time on my hands... I am planning on creating the class and maybe a powerpoint presentation on the subject. Once everything is done, I will be more than happy to share it with anyone interested. And yes, the class info would be open format so if there is something not included in what I put together, you are more than welcome to alter it to fit your area or view point better.

I may do something simular in the future for placing a cache. I know there was a tips and tricks event semi locally geared at finding a cache. But for now, I think I will just focus on trackables.

Thank you to any and all who give their opinions.

I'd think you might also include tips on intelligently selecting a cache for placing a trackable for further movement, i.e., paying attention to the cache's potential for muggling, as well as the traffic the cache sees or is likely to see. One thing I try to do is to check the cache's history (logs and past trackables) to see if there's a clear history of trackables disappearing from the cache.

Beyond that, it depends on the scope of the class - but if I were a prospective student for such a class, I would think it would be interesting to include a section on tips for making and launching a trackable. For practical tips, there's all the material in Snoogans' thread on TB durability. But if you venture into it this far, I'd certainly include some examples of clever and inspiring TBs people have come up with*. I think this could drive a level of excitement that would motivate someone to be more diligent about the proper handling aspects.

* I saw a TB today that a couple released on their honeymoon, with the promise to each other that wherever the TB is on their 5th anniversary, they'll travel there to celebrate the anniversary and retrieve the TB. And earlier this year I found a TB with a note attached by a mother who had found the TB with her son just before the son's unexpected death - she apologized for keeping the TB for over a year, but that it was too much of her memory of him - and then she finally decided it was time to let go and release the TB to find its own future. The thread here about the Weehawk TB is another inspiring example.

The scope of the class is straight forward... Trackable Etiquette and Handling. It would mainly be designed to cover everything you need to know about trackables in a time frame of about 30-60 min. I dont really see there being anything to complicated to require it to be broke down into a beginner and advanced class structure.

I am just trying to get as many ideas to go over as I can to build the class. I will of course take as much info as I can from Groundspeak's help pages for trackables, but I see the best ideas coming from all of us in the field that handle them personally.

For me, there are three most important facts that need to be put across:

1. All trackables belong to somebody. You can't keep them. Don't take them up unless you understand how to log them and move them on.

2. It's a good idea to make a note of the tracking number of any trackable you pick up as soon as you have it in your hands. Any problems/errors logging the item can be solved as long as you have a note of that number.

3. Keep tracking numbers 'secret' - don't put them in your logs, or in public forums.

MrsB

Something that I found on a TB I had just grabbed was the request that the TB only be placed in Premium Caches. Now I am sure that request was to ensure the TB would be grabbed by a more experienced cacher and thus might ensure is safety.

While I think this is unfair to new comers, depriving them of an introduction to TBs, I think is is a good practice for the more desirable TBs.

I don't know if for a fact, but I've often suspected that one main cause of lost trackables is that people taking them don't realize what they are. So that would make one of the first things in the course, "How to recognize something is trackable." But, unfortunately, there's a bit of a chicken and egg problem here: the people most likely to grab a trackable without knowing what it is are probably going to forget about geocaching before they'd ever attend a class about trackables.

Something that I found on a TB I had just grabbed was the request that the TB only be placed in Premium Caches. Now I am sure that request was to ensure the TB would be grabbed by a more experienced cacher and thus might ensure is safety.

While I think this is unfair to new comers, depriving them of an introduction to TBs, I think is is a good practice for the more desirable TBs.

Though some may think the idea a good one, I am not likely to put this in as a "rule," so to speak, but may bring it up as something that some others have done.

So far I am looking at 4 main sections to the class, a General Overview, Geocoins, Travel Bugs/Tags, and Sig Items.

I am including sig items because I just found one that has a track code on it, so there could be some confusion there. I thought it was a trackable coin until after I logged it then found out it was a personal sig item. A pleasant conversation ensued after with the owner as I explained the misunderstanding on my part. Since the sig item is one I can keep, I am planning on using it as a teaching tool for the class. I already have permission from the owner to do with it as I please and they welcome the addional discoveries it will bring.

I don't know if for a fact, but I've often suspected that one main cause of lost trackables is that people taking them don't realize what they are. So that would make one of the first things in the course, "How to recognize something is trackable." But, unfortunately, there's a bit of a chicken and egg problem here: the people most likely to grab a trackable without knowing what it is are probably going to forget about geocaching before they'd ever attend a class about trackables.

This may be the leading reason for trackables from some areas asking to be placed in a PM cache only. While the last part of your post may be true, I am hoping to offer the "class" often enough to cache some of those new cachers before they find a trackable or to give them the option to drop them off at the "class" for others to grab. This way if they have them and leave them at the class, then forget about caching, the trackable has been saved and can be moved on.

Will it work, That I am not sure, but What I am sure of is after a while, it should start to make a differance if we all start to offer this in our areas to the local caching community. The key to fixing the problem is to educate the uneducated. Some may show up just for the smilely and thats fine, however, if it can be made fun and interesting enough, then more will stay for the whole class and learn something.

I will make the ball and set it in motion, but it is up the rest of you to carry it on. As I said in my original post, once I have the class made up and ready to go, I have absolutly no problems emailing the files to anyone who would like teach the class in their area. I am planning at this point to leave it in an open format so that you can alter the info to fit your area and community like example caches, specific coins and bugs, etc.

I have already grabbed and printed everything I could find from the help center and the geocoin and travel bug FAQ pages... Does anyone know of any other info on trackables that I can pull from? I will look at wiki to see if there happens to be anything at that source, but I am doubting it to have anything new.

I have already grabbed and printed everything I could find from the help center and the geocoin and travel bug FAQ pages... Does anyone know of any other info on trackables that I can pull from? I will look at wiki to see if there happens to be anything at that source, but I am doubting it to have anything new.

You may want to Google for Educaching. While most of what I have seen has to do with using Travel Bugs in the classroom, there may be some info on TB handling.

Skye.

You may want to Google for Educaching. While most of what I have seen has to do with using Travel Bugs in the classroom, there may be some info on TB handling.

Skye.

Thank you, I have done so and didnt really find much of anything on trackables. I found links to where I can buy the book, and I did find one link that lead me to a viewable PDF flash file with 2 pages about trackables. I did manage to print those, thought it wasnt the easiest most direct way to print them.

As is proper, I will make sure I have a list of all sources used for referance, in case anyone wants to look up the info and read in greater detail.

At this point I think I have a good base of info to work with. What I would like to hear now is what people see as areas of trackable ettiquitte that should be taught in a class enviorment. For example:

Problem: trackables get stolen or disappear

Likey cause(s) could be new cacher that doesn't know, veteran cacher that missplaced the trackable, cacher with sticky fingers, cacher that likes that trackable design and doesnt want to let it go, etc.

Solution(s) to the problem: Events in your local area specificly to educate that community about trackables.

So lets hear your opinions and try and make the best class possible. I want to hear from you, the owners and movers of trackables to see what you think are the areas to be taught.

Likey cause(s) could be new cacher that doesn't know, veteran cacher that missplaced the trackable, cacher with sticky fingers, cacher that likes that trackable design and doesnt want to let it go, etc.

Solution(s) to the problem: Events in your local area specificly to educate that community about trackables.

Certainly a good suggestion, but I think another big reason for trackables getting lost is muggles finding the cache. The solutions to that problem are stealth, hiding as well or better than found, and avoiding putting trackables in caches that might be easily muggled.

Certainly a good suggestion, but I think another big reason for trackables getting lost is muggles finding the cache. The solutions to that problem are stealth, hiding as well or better than found, and avoiding putting trackables in caches that might be easily muggled.

Fully understood and thought of... I will be covering those topics and more in other "lessons" I will eventually put together. I am hoping to make the classes a regular event a few times a year for each. But more on that later, first things first, the piolt run of the trackables class.

The problem with stealth, at least for me, is that the more stealthy I try to be the more I draw attention to myself. This is why I will normally cache at night after my shift is over. But again, discussion for another thread another time. I do like that last suggestion though, very good point.

But depending on how this class goes and the feedback I get, I am looking to do a class on Finding caches, Hiding caches, TOTT, Containers, etc. The Hiding caches class will touch on containers, but given the spectrum, I feel that could be an entire class on its own.

Also depending on the amount of material to cover, I may break the Geocoins and Travel Bugs into their own seperate classes. But it all hinges on how this first class goes.

Hmmm lol do you have a brother in the UK?

I would advise caution on giving people lessons. And rightly or wrongly I'll point the finger at your cache count. I mean someone has to say it. I think (because it's obvious really) that in order to school and teach and educate you have to come from a place of authority and credibility. You aren't with what amounts to a few finds coming from that place yet. But in my experience people like yourself will no doubt carry on regardless. I would advise any replies here beings used as evidence of the void you perceive and intend to fill. And I'm surprised no one else has mentioned yet but I suppose you've only just mentioned it but this smacks of some side shoot commercial venture. Which may result in alienation within the hobby. But TB education at least can only be a good thing.

I think the main thing I would emphasize is the difference between the TB reference number (TBXXXXX) and the actual tracking number itself and when the use of each is appropriate. This seems to be one of the main sources of confusion among most new geocachers and even some seasoned ones in my experience.

+1

Especially if you're trying to teach others how to do things 'correctly' B)

I think the main thing I would emphasize is the difference between the TB reference number (TBXXXXX) and the actual tracking number itself and when the use of each is appropriate. This seems to be one of the main sources of confusion among most new geocachers and even some seasoned ones in my experience.

If you teach NOTHING else I would love an explanation of what the reference number is. I think I have educated myself beyond my 2 years hands on experience and cache count but have no idea about that is all about. In general the management of TBs is not the best thought out aspect of geocaching.

It's just the reference number of the TB. You have three ways in which to identify a TB.

Name

Tracking code

Reference number.

The name search facility on geocaching is appalling. Whether cache name or TB name.

You cannot or should not post for reference to others the tracking code. Because that promotes bogus discoveries. So you have the TB reference number. Like clicking on the GC code it brings up an abbreviated link to get to the cache page ... So it is with the TB reference. So when posting about a certain TB you use that number. As far as I understand it. It's an aspect that's interesting but knowing about it won't prevent poor practice with regard to TB logging in and out of caches. Only enforced learning will ensure education of what to do. It won't however prevent it happening. All you will be able to do is state that someone at least does know what to do they have no excuse. But you cannot make people do it ... sadly.

Hmmm lol do you have a brother in the UK?

I would advise caution on giving people lessons. And rightly or wrongly I'll point the finger at your cache count. I mean someone has to say it. I think (because it's obvious really) that in order to school and teach and educate you have to come from a place of authority and credibility. You aren't with what amounts to a few finds coming from that place yet. But in my experience people like yourself will no doubt carry on regardless. I would advise any replies here beings used as evidence of the void you perceive and intend to fill. And I'm surprised no one else has mentioned yet but I suppose you've only just mentioned it but this smacks of some side shoot commercial venture. Which may result in alienation within the hobby. But TB education at least can only be a good thing.

As you have so diligently pointed out, I have a low cache count, this is true. I do not get the chance to cache as much as I would like to. However, I do not feel that, that in anyway will hinder me. So long as I gather all the facts, comments, conserns, etc. around the subject that I can before speaking in front of a group, then I stand at no disadvantage. From your post, you seem like the type of person that only will listen to those whom you see as your superior or have, in your oppinion, sufficiant credability. You are right about one thing, I will move forward regardless of what you say or think. As to the other class ideas I mentioned, I may not get around to them for months or years to come, even if I create the class well before then. As to the trackable class, I have already spoke with a few notable veteran cachers in my area, and I have their backing on this particular class on trackables.

I already feel alienated with in this hobby as most events take place on a day and time that I am not able to attend as well as I have yet to meet any cacher at any cache that I have found thus far. Place on top of that I mostly cache in the middle of the night due to my work schedual, and yea I am pretty alienated as it is.

I would like to know how you can see a commercial venture in anything I said? I have not once thought of making any kind of money off any of this. So where do you get that I am trying to do some kind of side commercial venture here?

Since you decided to go there, I spent 6 years in the US Military. During that time, I have taught various groups of people on subjects I had little or no knowledge on. I have, at times, been given minutes to create a course to teach. So when you ask about my credibility, I think I am more than covered there.

If you would rather listen to that person next to you that has 1500 caches found but has only been caching for less than 6 months, then go for it since you see a high cache count as being credible. I would rather listen to the person that did the research and adiquitly presented the info regardless of cache count. Someone taking the time to research and listing their resources is more credible than the person with a high cache count that only speaks their oppinion and tries to pass it on as fact with no way to check what they say.

But again this is only my oppinion and subject for you to throw your nose up at if you wish.

Only enforced learning will ensure education of what to do. It won't however prevent it happening. All you will be able to do is state that someone at least does know what to do they have no excuse. But you cannot make people do it ... sadly.

This much I agree with you on. No matter what, with or without education, if someone does not want to do something, they will not do it. However, the chance for an occurance of bad logging will be lessened if more people know what to do from the start. True, it may never be fully prevented, but that should not deture from trying.

- But then I think back and realize many of the business professors didn't own or run a business...

... but then your professors were professors and their lessons were honed by years of experience and input from thousands of business representatives based on proven models of success, watch-dogged by an educational body. And they only remained professors based on their success in getting you, and hundreds of others qualified lol.

...I am including sig items because I just found one that has a track code on it, so there could be some confusion there. I thought it was a trackable coin until after I logged it then found out it was a personal sig item. A pleasant conversation ensued after with the owner as I explained the misunderstanding on my part. Since the sig item is one I can keep, I am planning on using it as a teaching tool for the class. I already have permission from the owner to do with it as I please and they welcome the addional discoveries it will bring.

If you're mentioning signature items then you might also explain about pathtags too because they have a different sort of tracking number on them and new cachers often try to log them using the geocaching.com site... and then wonder why they can't...

MrsB

...I am including sig items because I just found one that has a track code on it, so there could be some confusion there. I thought it was a trackable coin until after I logged it then found out it was a personal sig item. A pleasant conversation ensued after with the owner as I explained the misunderstanding on my part. Since the sig item is one I can keep, I am planning on using it as a teaching tool for the class. I already have permission from the owner to do with it as I please and they welcome the addional discoveries it will bring.

If you're mentioning signature items then you might also explain about pathtags too because they have a different sort of tracking number on them and new cachers often try to log them using the geocaching.com site... and then wonder why they can't...

MrsB

Yes, being as I have collected a few pathtags already, they are to be included under sig items.

People shoupd be educated on log types, like the difference between "grab" and "retrieve" as they sound similar.

Good point, I will make sure there is a little more said there. Another confusion point I am making sure is in the class material is INVENTORY vs COLLECTION and what it means if you make a trackable COLLECTABLE.

Another confusion point I am making sure is in the class material is INVENTORY vs COLLECTION and what it means if you make a trackable COLLECTABLE.

Here's TMI about the Collectible feature. Maybe make a handout, so people don't have to sit through the whole thing. :laughing:

Whether a TB is "Collectible" or not, if you have a question about how a Travel Bug or Geocoin is to be managed, always contact the owner of the Travel Bug or Geocoin first. If you get no response, and if there's no direction on the TB page, you may safely assume that the Trackable item is to be placed into a Geocache promptly, and logged as clearly as possible. With this in mind, here's some info about the “Collectible” feature:

Marking a Trackable “Collectible” enables it to be moved to a digital location called a “Collection”. It's a lot like logging the Trackable into a cache, since placing it into a Collection removes it from your Inventory. You may do this so that a Trackable that you always keep at home is not shown on screen when you log cache finds.

The “Collection” is designed for Geocoins not in play. It's best used for coins in a binder which is only displayed at Events. Cachers may activate all of the coins in their binder, then display them, so that people may make Discover logs, but the coins are intended to remain with the Owner.

Unless there's a special reason why you have made the selection, the only time a Trackable should be marked “Collectible” is when you're actively trying to get it added to a collection. Once it's in the Collection, mark it “Not Collectible”. For ordinary cache-to-cache travel, mark it “Not Collectible”. If you don't need the “Collectible” feature (or if you don't understand it), leave it unselected. If you've already made a selection, select “Not Collectible”.

An item marked “Collectible” reduces the menu options available to the TO and the finders. Many car TBs are marked “Collectible” on purpose, because the TB can't be then “Dropped” into a cache. People finding your “Collectible” Trackable in a cache can log “Discover”, but not the usual “Retrieve” log. Groundspeak does change features and selections, so be sure you know what the current features do.

========

Some reasons to place a Trackable into a Collection:

- So that people with a lot of personal active owned Geocoins can more easily manage them. Previously, people had to use extra cache pages, to organize lists of coins.

- To allow a cacher to hold a Geocoin on loan to them (for example, to complete a set).

- To allow a finder to hold a coin indefinitely (for example, a Trackable hiking stick), placed into the finder's Collection. This would be unusual, since it's fine to leave it “Not Collectible”.

- By accident or malice. If you don't know what “Collections” or “Collectible” is for, it's safe to not participate. Because once you make it “Collectible” without a plan, it can cause lots of trouble for you, when you need to someday unscramble the settings.

========

If you intend to give your coin away, consider not activating it. Activating, then marking your Trackable “Collectible”, then waiting for the proper logs so you may adopt the coin to the finder (and since you first have to mark it Not Collectible anyway so that they can place it into their Inventory), is more complicated than just leaving it unactivated. And place a note with the unactivated coin, explaining who they may contact and that it's a gift or for trade.

If a Trackable is logged into a cacher's Inventory and then marked “Collectible”, a TB or Geocoin can be moved to that cacher's Collection. “Collectible” and “Collections” are for honest cachers only, since the Trackable must be properly logged into a Collection.

The Trackable must be put back into play whenever the TO requests. The “Collectible” feature must never be used as justification to steal or kidnap a Trackable. Contact the TO and ask, before keeping it or placing their Trackable into your Collection. Be sure that they wish for you to do so.

Misconceptions:

- Using the term “Collectible” to justify stealing a Trackable, that it's free to pocket and keep.

- Keeping any Trackable while waiting to see how it gets marked, “just in case I can keep it”.

- A Trackable Owner marking a TB or coin “Collectible” because “it's a cool one” (using the “Collectible” feature as a rating system for their TBs).

Another way you can remove it from your inventory list is as follows -

If for example you have several geocoins or tbs that belong to you and you have to scroll through them to visit ones you don't own into a cache and you don't want to use the above method you can:

Creat a geocache. You could do this near your home if you want to dip them for mileage. Call it "home" or "my dipping pot" whatever. Go through all the procedure to creat the cache but do not submit it for publication. And leave it like that. Then pay it a visit by writing a note. You cannot log a find obviously but like any active geocache you can visit it and write a note to dip or drop off geocoins.

It may happen that a reviewer will happen across this unpublished geocache for whatever reason. Maybe someone wants the location as part of a series. Usually they will ask you if you plan to use the location. Or if they are ... a different personality type ... they will archive it to get rid of it. However you can still visit it and write notes and dip and drop off geocoins.

The beauty is that you can amass geocoins for an event or if you are going abroad and want to take quite a few with you. And drop them off into the cache and retrieve them as you would normally before you leave to place them in your active inventory. Or as we have had the TB or coin may insist that no dipping or visits are to be created on that page. Exact mileage cannot be accounted in this case but it's not 100% accurate anyway because it is as the crow flies anyway. But still it is their coin and their choice. So you see it has a few uses doing it this way. Our geocoins are amassing in our secret treasure chest lol. If it is archived it can be a pain to find but all you have to do is go to geocaches. Then select "write note". This will bring back all notes you have written on caches. You will find your geocache link there.

Yes, using my own TBs, I played with the collectable option seeing what it was and what it did and allowed you to do. Once I figured that out, the only time I mark a trackable as collectable is just long enough to move it to my collection, then make it not collectable again.

Even in my collection, it still allows me let it be discovered, but remains out of my on hand inventory. It is nice to see what others do so I have more than one option to present in this class.

Thank you to all who have responded to this point. You all have lots of good suggestions. I have amassed a large amount of info so far, and with everthing in this thread now and what I am sure is to come, I should have everything I need to put together a very good course on trackables.

I am planning on making a few handouts, a slide show, and a quick reference guide. Slide show will encompass everything, the hand outs will be for any aspect that needs to be covered in more depth, and the reference guide will be just that, a snapshot of the most important info for a trackable.

Another confusion point I am making sure is in the class material is INVENTORY vs COLLECTION and what it means if you make a trackable COLLECTABLE.

Here's TMI about the Collectible feature. Maybe make a handout, so people don't have to sit through the whole thing. :laughing:

Whether a TB is "Collectible" or not, if you have a question about how a Travel Bug or Geocoin is to be managed, always contact the owner of the Travel Bug or Geocoin first. If you get no response, and if there's no direction on the TB page, you may safely assume that the Trackable item is to be placed into a Geocache promptly, and logged as clearly as possible. With this in mind, here's some info about the “Collectible” feature:

Marking a Trackable “Collectible” enables it to be moved to a digital location called a “Collection”. It's a lot like logging the Trackable into a cache, since placing it into a Collection removes it from your Inventory. You may do this so that a Trackable that you always keep at home is not shown on screen when you log cache finds.

The “Collection” is designed for Geocoins not in play. It's best used for coins in a binder which is only displayed at Events. Cachers may activate all of the coins in their binder, then display them, so that people may make Discover logs, but the coins are intended to remain with the Owner.

Unless there's a special reason why you have made the selection, the only time a Trackable should be marked “Collectible” is when you're actively trying to get it added to a collection. Once it's in the Collection, mark it “Not Collectible”. For ordinary cache-to-cache travel, mark it “Not Collectible”. If you don't need the “Collectible” feature (or if you don't understand it), leave it unselected. If you've already made a selection, select “Not Collectible”.

An item marked “Collectible” reduces the menu options available to the TO and the finders. Many car TBs are marked “Collectible” on purpose, because the TB can't be then “Dropped” into a cache. People finding your “Collectible” Trackable in a cache can log “Discover”, but not the usual “Retrieve” log. Groundspeak does change features and selections, so be sure you know what the current features do.

========

- So that people with a lot of personal active owned Geocoins can more easily manage them. Previously, people had to use extra cache pages, to organize lists of coins.

- To allow a cacher to hold a Geocoin on loan to them (for example, to complete a set).

- To allow a finder to hold a coin indefinitely (for example, a Trackable hiking stick), placed into the finder's Collection. This would be unusual, since it's fine to leave it “Not Collectible”.

- By accident or malice. If you don't know what “Collections” or “Collectible” is for, it's safe to not participate. Because once you make it “Collectible” without a plan, it can cause lots of trouble for you, when you need to someday unscramble the settings.

========

If you intend to give your coin away, consider not activating it. Activating, then marking your Trackable “Collectible”, then waiting for the proper logs so you may adopt the coin to the finder (and since you first have to mark it Not Collectible anyway so that they can place it into their Inventory), is more complicated than just leaving it unactivated. And place a note with the unactivated coin, explaining who they may contact and that it's a gift or for trade.

If a Trackable is logged into a cacher's Inventory and then marked “Collectible”, a TB or Geocoin can be moved to that cacher's Collection. “Collectible” and “Collections” are for honest cachers only, since the Trackable must be properly logged into a Collection.

The Trackable must be put back into play whenever the TO requests. The “Collectible” feature must never be used as justification to steal or kidnap a Trackable. Contact the TO and ask, before keeping it or placing their Trackable into your Collection. Be sure that they wish for you to do so.

Misconceptions:

- Using the term “Collectible” to justify stealing a Trackable, that it's free to pocket and keep.

- Keeping any Trackable while waiting to see how it gets marked, “just in case I can keep it”.

- A Trackable Owner marking a TB or coin “Collectible” because “it's a cool one” (using the “Collectible” feature as a rating system for their TBs).

I have to say I have attempted to read this post twice and have no idea on earth what it says. There must be a way to explain the differences here but I don't think this is it.

========

========

Misconceptions:

I have to say I have attempted to read this post twice and have no idea on earth what it says. There must be a way to explain the differences here but I don't think this is it.

Surprisingly enough, I was able to make sense out of it. I get the idea of what they are trying to say. I will take it and put it in my own words, but still get the idea across.

Don't ask me to explain, because as hard as it may be for some to understand, it will be a bit hard for me to try and explain here... Once I have my thoughts on this one organized a bit better, I will try to explain what is being said.

I have heard a few different things on this one, so I want to get as much opinion as possible...

under trackable etiquitte, How long is considered acceptable to hang on to a trackable before it could be considered MIA?

I have heard 2 weeks is acceptable, and this is the general time frame I use when I grab them myself. If for some reason, it is going to take longer, I will post a note stating that I still have it and when I am planning on droping it into another cache.

Has anyone heard different?

The few times we didn't drop off a trackable in days, we added a note why on the trackable page.

We figure a note covers anyone watching too.

If the TO is absent, someone (maybe) knows/cares what's going on.

If we're holding for a trip a few weeks later, we'll note what week, but we already had days of pouring rain when away, so "when" is an estimate.

under trackable etiquitte, How long is considered acceptable to hang on to a trackable before it could be considered MIA?

Groundspeak has changed the Trackable Etiquette wording a little: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=148

Plenty of people still have the idea that they can wait 2 weeks to place a TB, so that may still be the going rate. :rolleyes:

This accepted delay seems to expand to an unlimited delay. So at the one-year anniversary of no news, I consider it Missing, and work on the revived version (the replacement TB).

Bumping this back to the top in hopes others may be able to add to what is here so far...

I have gathered my thoughts and ideas from all the printed material I have gathered and have begun to work on putting the class together. I am starting on a Power Point slide show followed by some handouts and worksheets.

If anyone has anything to add, I am watching this thread for any additional ideas.

I would like to focus on terminology

The main vocab list I have put together from the printed reference material is as follows:

•  
  • Activation Code
  • Reference Code
  • Tracking Code
  • Microcoin
  • Nanocoin
  • Macrocoin
  • Sig Item
  • Visit
  • Dip
  • Geocoin
  • Geotoken
  • Travel Tag
  • Inventory
  • Collection
  • Collectible
  • Premium Member Only (PMO)

If you can think of any other terms that are specific to trackables please list them with what you think the definition of that term is.

I have already sifted though the terminology lists at these sites: http://www.geocaching.com/about/glossary.aspx and http://geolex.locusprime.net/.

Thank you again to all who have contributed and to those who will contribute.

Hope it goes well! I taught geocaching to Girl Scouts today, and covered pretty much just the basics with trackables (essentially: don't you dare keep these). While the girls were hiding containers for each other and marking waypoints, I talked to the adults in more detail. Man...it's tough to keep it short. Tracking numbers vs. reference number, where to find the tracking number on different kinds of coins, what kinds of things might look like a geocoin but are okay to keep, that some TB tags might not be rectangular and silver...I felt like I overwhelmed them a bit. And then sent them home with an unactivated Travel Bug tag to set up and send out. :)