Hermiston Cache Machine

travisl

Many Cachers came today to clean up cache areas. About 15 were replaced and another 20 wet logs were replaced lots of trash was removed! All of the caches mentioned above have been replaced or disabled. With the exception of sink hole GC2y9hz and we have another team looking at 8 more caches around that one. CG3J6JG is also good.

We have one called Under The Sea (GC4H0V2), that couldn't be found and we are still working on it. It is a great place to visit so I hope we get it replaced.

Stop 45 is good and we will try to make a event out of it also. It will be Burgers, dogs, chips and a pop or water for a 5 buck donation, 6 if these dadgum food prices keep going up, LOL The Hermiston Park district is setting this area up for us as a favor since they usually don't set up till April 1st. We will also be coaching them for a coin event hopefully soon.

I would like to thank Tumbleweed2, Dead Sailor and his buddy, Wild Ponies, SP&SFAN, Badger 10 and family, AC Funk, hurshh, Quadsinthemudd, ihavecats, Karl@work and I am pretty sure that was it for all the help they did today. It was cold and windy with flurries stirring and lots of man-hours were spent out there today but the company made it all just fine!

We hope you all enjoy your trip to NE Oregon and SW Washington for your geocaching fun. (Tourism Board here I come!) LOL

Many Cachers came today to clean up cache areas. About 15 were replaced and another 20 wet logs were replaced lots of trash was removed! All of the caches mentioned above have been replaced or disabled. With the exception of sink hole GC2y9hz and we have another team looking at 8 more caches around that one. CG3J6JG is also good.

We have one called Under The Sea (GC4H0V2), that couldn't be found and we are still working on it. It is a great place to visit so I hope we get it replaced.

Stop 45 is good and we will try to make a event out of it also. It will be Burgers, dogs, chips and a pop or water for a 5 buck donation, 6 if these dadgum food prices keep going up, LOL The Hermiston Park district is setting this area up for us as a favor since they usually don't set up till April 1st. We will also be coaching them for a coin event hopefully soon.

I would like to thank Tumbleweed2, Dead Sailor and his buddy, Wild Ponies, SP&SFAN, Badger 10 and family, AC Funk, hurshh, Quadsinthemudd, ihavecats, Karl@work and I am pretty sure that was it for all the help they did today. It was cold and windy with flurries stirring and lots of man-hours were spent out there today but the company made it all just fine!

We hope you all enjoy your trip to NE Oregon and SW Washington for your geocaching fun. (Tourism Board here I come!) LOL

Wow, that's outstanding! Thanks, Mike, and all the cachers who spent the day checking caches for the Cache Machine, and encouraging Hermiston Parks to support their caching visitors. You rock! B)

#63, GC45KBA - One DNF but GZ seems to be the site of a car wreck

I am the CO of #63 GC45KBA, Blanked out, and the GZ is a bit of a mess due to the car wreck but I went out this morning and replaced the Cache. All is now well with this cache. The location did change a bit but cords are still close. Woody

I've just posted draft 3, incorporating the feedback from JHolly and the discoveries of the fine folks who participated in the CITO event last weekend. I'll post the final draft on March 17.

Info about the lunch stop is added. It's listed twice, because the route loops near there close to the start and end times of the lunch period.

I've also added some in the southeast corner of the route, making up for some that are disabled or missing earlier in the day.

Note that at stop #71 last weekend, there were bags of dead livestock found nearby (goats? calves?). If it's sunny and warm (meaning "if it's thawed out"), it might be quite an aromatic location. It's your choice whether to hunt it or not.

Draft 3 bookmark posted.

A few problems:

#51, GC1DZWZ - two DNF's in a row with the last log a strong likely.

#61, GC1F4D3 - two DNF's so probably a strong maybe. But the last found it reported a very soaked log. Don't think it dried out in the last couple weeks. :)

Both of these have a local CO so maybe he'll see the posts and investigate.

I've just posted draft 3, incorporating the feedback from JHolly and the discoveries of the fine folks who participated in the CITO event last weekend. I'll post the final draft on March 17.

Info about the lunch stop is added. It's listed twice, because the route loops near there close to the start and end times of the lunch period.

I've also added some in the southeast corner of the route, making up for some that are disabled or missing earlier in the day.

Note that at stop #71 last weekend, there were bags of dead livestock found nearby (goats? calves?). If it's sunny and warm (meaning "if it's thawed out"), it might be quite an aromatic location. It's your choice whether to hunt it or not.

I was wondering if you wanted to switch stops 110 and 111 so we don't have to make a left onto and off of Scraplehorm Rd? I really don't know what traffic is like along there, but it might save us crossing each others path.

They published "Lunch In Hermiston", GC4ZQEK, today. Please know we are looking for $5 donations/meal to make this a success. I have to go back and check on 8 caches we didn't get a chance to work on today. These two are not them. Our team didn't make a log for each cache they found or fixed so I am sure that GC1D2W2 and GC1F4D3 are fine. We didn't log them all because then it is just not as fun for the next guy! LOL

I will place notes on Draft 3 later, if needed. But I am sure you will want to add the Lunch stop's GC number.

Happy Caching!

For anyone looking for a last minute hotel, I booked at the Quality Inn for about $55/night, 4.5 stars. I used my AAA discount though, but worth looking into!

Good for you! I would have preferred a Choice hotel, but couldn't find one at that rate (including the Quality Inn with AAA) when I wass booking.

For anyone looking for a last minute hotel, I booked at the Quality Inn for about $55/night, 4.5 stars. I used my AAA discount though, but worth looking into!

Good for you! I would have preferred a Choice hotel, but couldn't find one at that rate (including the Quality Inn with AAA) when I wass booking.

I looked at my reservation today and saw the hotel was located in Umatilla & with the taxes/fees it would actually be a few dollars more than staying at the Motel 6 across the street from the Saturday dinner, so I changed my reservation.

I looked at my reservation today and saw the hotel was located in Umatilla & with the taxes/fees it would actually be a few dollars more than staying at the Motel 6 across the street from the Saturday dinner, so I changed my reservation.

Kidvegas19 and I are also now booked at the Motel 6. They said coffee is set out at 6am... wonder if we can convince them to put it out earlier... :)

Kidvegas19 and I are also now booked at the Motel 6. They said coffee is set out at 6am... wonder if we can convince them to put it out earlier... :)

I bet if all us cachers requested it we could get them to put it out at 5:30 :) I'll put in the request & will ask my teammates to do the same (they are also staying there)

The final route is up! Any changes after this, if any, will be announced at the 6:30 PM informal dinner on Friday, and posted here shortly afterwards.

Start time is at 6:30 AM, right across the street from the Motel 6, so 6:00 AM coffee might still work out for you. I also see that there's a McDonalds and Starbucks (both open at 5) and a Jack In The Box (24 hours) about a 6-minute walk north of there.

Lunch is at this event. Click for details.

Dinner is at 7:30 PM Saturday, almost exactly where we started.

#51, GC1DZWZ - two DNF's in a row with the last log a strong likely.

#61, GC1F4D3 - two DNF's so probably a strong maybe. But the last found it reported a very soaked log. Don't think it dried out in the last couple weeks. :)

The former has been replaced. The latter has been verified. We're good there.

I was wondering if you wanted to switch stops 110 and 111 so we don't have to make a left onto and off of Scraplehorm Rd? I really don't know what traffic is like along there, but it might save us crossing each others path.

Yup, I should have done that, but overlooked it when I finalized the route. Not a big deal, I think, because Street View shows visibility as fairly wide open, and I honestly don't expect many folks to make it that late into the route.

I'm excited. I love CMs where I visit somewhere I've never even driven through. The forecast is looking favorable. And I love caching east of the mountains. Squeee!

Stopped by the cache listed as #92 on the route. Cache owner was there. IT IS MISSING

And that's the only change. See you all tomorrow, if I'm not already seeing you here at Chuckwagon this very moment.

Late breaking news, We couldn't find #58, I hope we just overlooked it.

As Andrew has mentioned on this Fabulous Cache Machine, the nickname for this event could be 'Dead Animal'. I could not believe the number of Dead critters on this route.

I will admit at one Cache site the 'LIVE' Squirrel was a breathe of Reality.

Once again, thanks for another great 'Machine'.

Nice to meet a lot of new folks and those old timers.

Note: to that certain someone you failed to send me the local hangout in this area. WINK, WINK :anibad: