Hermiston Cache Machine

travisl

Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes.

(Link to dinner event cache.)

Hermiston! Lewis and Clark noted Hat Rock as one of their first local landmarks. The hub of Umatilla County, its Chemical Depot played a key role in World War II. Its motto is "The Future of Eastern Oregon." And it's got a lot of caches.

Fill up the tank, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and start on the route. Sunrise on Saturday, March 22, is at 6:30 a.m., and we're starting near the end: GC1J2VC,Watch Hermiston Grow: Un-named Strip Mall. From there, move at your own pace and get as many as you can.

Dinner's at 7:30 p.m. at Panda Inn, 675 N 1st St, Hermiston. (N 45° 50.740, W 119° 17.440) . See its event page for details. A headcount ahead of time is always helpful; please log your "will attends" on the event page.

Note that several caches on the route map may be marked with a "do not enter" icon (icon_disabled.gif). Those cache owners have justifiably asked for their cache to not be on the route. The cache is, in the owner's opinion, in a sensitive area, whether it's environmentally sensitive, socially sensitive, or physically fragile. Just don't get it. It's not like there's a shortage of caches in the area.

Rules:

1) Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt.

2) Respect private property, even if the cache owner didn't. Post your DNFs proudly.

3) One logbook entry for "HCM" is fine for most small and micros. Don't go filling up the logbook just because you want to mark your territory. 100 people's names and dates will fill up most one-sheets. Be kind and bring extra paper to add to caches with full logbooks.

4) As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it. Handing it off to someone else and pointing down saying "it goes there" isn't good enough. Don't be a jerk. The extra 45 seconds isn't going to ruin your day.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Hermiston Cache Machine FAQ:

When is it? When is the start time?

Saturday, March 22, 2014. Start time is 6:30 a.m. at GC1J2VC, Watch Hermiston Grow: Un-named Strip Mall.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We'll start as one large group, but after a dozen caches or so, the large groups will likely fragment, and on a long day like this, you'll probably be on your own by the time most people are waking up.

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

• Friday, March 21 at 6:30 p.m. will be a pre-event dinner at the Chuckwagon Café, 81027 N. Highway 395, Hermiston, N 45° 53.000, W 119° 17.770.
  • Saturday, March 22, at 7:30 p.m., dinner will be at Panda Inn, 657 N 1st St, Hermiston, N 45° 50.740 W 119° 17.440. Please let me know how many of you are coming by logging a "will attend" on the event page.
  • Sunday, March 23, is up to you. There's a lot more caches in the area.

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Hey, that road doesn't exist!

What's with making us ford a river?

The tide's gonna be too high to get this cache!

Thanks for catching that! Let me know, and I'll fix the route. I've never been to this area, so I'm counting on advice like yours.

If dinner's at 7:30 p.m., why does the route run way past then? Is this a two-day event?

The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you'd run out of caches before you run out of daylight. I don't expect anyone would be able to hit all of them between sunrise and sunset. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet.

You don't have X cache on the route. Why aren't we getting that one?

I try to avoid most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid. Also, with so many caches to find, I've passed some urban caches in order to get to cooler spots later in the route.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a two mile hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or will check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

By all means, let me know. I don't want to send 75 people there to stomp all over it.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route and add it to the "do not hunt" list

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Rain? Snow? Landslides? Flooding?

Probably, yes. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible.

What do the map symbols mean?

Turquoise lines show my suggested route, but if there's a brown trail or grey road that I've drawn in, ignore the turquoise. And there's these symbols:

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

Edited by Cascade Reviewer
Updated dinner location info

Regarding accommodations, the Motel 6 offered a price of $60/night, $9 off their standard rate. Their number is (541)567-7777. I'm seeing the same $60 on motel6.com.

Thanks to AstroGliders, Oxford Suites (nicest in town) is offering a double queen or a king room for $115. This is $15 less than I'm seeing on Expedia. They also said if two couples wanted to split one of the double queens that there would be no additional charge. Mention "geocaching" or "cache machine" with your reservation to get this rate. (541)564-0633. An online discount code is pending.

Edited by travisl

Bookmark posted

Problem children

#30, GC1V193, 3 DNF's in a row

#31, GC1AP52, 3 DNF's in a row

#34, GC292XT, Disabled

#40, GC292XT, needs to be watched, 2 DNF's in a row

#48, GC3J6JW, needs to be watched, 2 DNF's, a find and then a DNF.

#66, GC2D5EZ, needs to be watched, 2 DNF's in a row

Are we really going to The Best Tree in Lismore?

Right. It should be 3Y4F0 Umtilla Rapids.

ETA: Maybe JHolly wants to add another country to his found list. :lol:

Edited by The Jester

Bookmark posted

Problem children

#34, GC292XT, Disabled

Bookmark posted

Problem children

#34, GC292XT, Disabled

You guys are no fun. I keep trying to sneak one in so Travis will take us on a nice trip and you keep screwing up my attempts. Spoil sports.

Updated list.

Regarding accommodations, the Motel 6 offered a price of $60/night, $9 off their standard rate. Their number is (541)567-7777. I'm seeing the same $60 on motel6.com.

Thanks to AstroGliders, Oxford Suites (nicest in town) is offering a double queen or a king room for $115. This is $15 less than I'm seeing on Expedia. They also said if two couples wanted to split one of the double queens that there would be no additional charge. Mention "geocaching" or "cache machine" with your reservation to get this rate. (541)564-0633. An online discount code is pending.

I have to highly recommend the Oxford Suites. While I have never stayed at the Hermiston location, we have stayed at a number of thier locations up and down the west coast. They are my go to hotel if there is one in the town we are going to we stay there, I won't even look at the other area hotels. Your day will start with a full hot breakfast. This is not your average continental breakfast, eggs made to order, sausage, bacon and much more, it is more like being in a small buffet restaurant. Then hit the cache machine route and finish off the day with the hotels Evening reception that includes 2 free drinks, beer, wine or soda free. Plus sauna, hot tub and pool. WIFI is free and I have never had an issue with their WIFI at the locations we have stayed at and it has been fast. Rooms are clean and a bit larger than the average hotel room. If your considering motel 6 vs oxford, spend the extra money it will be well worth your comfort.

Also Travis has the phone number for the Oxford Suites wrong the number he gave was the fax number, you want to call 541-564-8000.

Got my reservation in this morning!

Rob

Bookmark posted

Problem children

#34, GC292XT, Disabled

Bookmark posted

Problem children

#34, GC292XT, Disabled

You guys are no fun. I keep trying to sneak one in so Travis will take us on a nice trip and you keep screwing up my attempts. Spoil sports.

Updated list.

I don't think Australia is on the CM list until 2018... :rolleyes:

I have to highly recommend the Oxford Suites. While I have never stayed at the Hermiston location, we have stayed at a number of thier locations up and down the west coast. They are my go to hotel if there is one in the town we are going to we stay there, I won't even look at the other area hotels. Your day will start with a full hot breakfast. This is not your average continental breakfast, eggs made to order, sausage, bacon and much more, it is more like being in a small buffet restaurant. Then hit the cache machine route and finish off the day with the hotels Evening reception that includes 2 free drinks, beer, wine or soda free. Plus sauna, hot tub and pool. WIFI is free and I have never had an issue with their WIFI at the locations we have stayed at and it has been fast. Rooms are clean and a bit larger than the average hotel room. If your considering motel 6 vs oxford, spend the extra money it will be well worth your comfort.

Also Travis has the phone number for the Oxford Suites wrong the number he gave was the fax number, you want to call 541-564-8000.

Rob

Is that breakfast worth $35 a person? :blink: That's how much more my wife and I would pay to stay there (sauna, hot tub, pool are irrelevent in this setting as I/we won't have time to use such. Wifi is free for us as AARP members.).

Rob

Is that breakfast worth $35 a person? :blink: That's how much more my wife and I would pay to stay there (sauna, hot tub, pool are irrelevent in this setting as I/we won't have time to use such. Wifi is free for us as AARP members.).

Honestly. No Breakfast alone is not worth $35 a person, no way. I'm not sure how you got that number if your comparing it to Motel 6 or some where else. Personally the difference in the rooms, compared to places like motel 6 make it worth while for us. I like something a little more than just a bed whenever possible, but it does cost more no doubt. If price is the biggest factor the oxford might not be right for you, but I have found though the years, that Oxford is always clean and comfortable, something I haven't always found at other places.

Also I with the cache machine starting at 6:30AM, breakfast on the weekends at Oxford usually starts at 7AM, so you would have to choose between being late for the start, or missing breakfast, unless your staying multiple days.

I know for us we try to stay Friday and Saturday night for the cache machine (especially when it is this far from home), so we get Sunday for sure to play around in the hotel and pickup more caches.

Rob

Rob

Honestly. No Breakfast alone is not worth $35 a person, no way. I'm not sure how you got that number if your comparing it to Motel 6 or some where else. Personally the difference in the rooms, compared to places like motel 6 make it worth while for us. I like something a little more than just a bed whenever possible, but it does cost more no doubt. If price is the biggest factor the oxford might not be right for you, but I have found though the years, that Oxford is always clean and comfortable, something I haven't always found at other places.

Also I with the cache machine starting at 6:30AM, breakfast on the weekends at Oxford usually starts at 7AM, so you would have to choose between being late for the start, or missing breakfast, unless your staying multiple days.

I know for us we try to stay Friday and Saturday night for the cache machine (especially when it is this far from home), so we get Sunday for sure to play around in the hotel and pickup more caches.

Rob

Motel 6 in Pendleton is $46 a night (AARP rate for two) vs. $115 at Oxford = $69 difference (more than the one night cost). I find at Cache Machines (and most other travelling) I don't spend much time in the room, except for sleeping. So a bed & bathroom is all we need. We've always found Motel 6 to be clean and comfortable (now I could tell you about a 5 star hotel in Suzhou, China where the carpet on the floor was softer than the bed, but that's for another time).

But I agree, when I have time to spend in a room, a little extra is nice.

Motel 6 in Pendleton is $46 a night (AARP rate for two) vs. $115 at Oxford = $69 difference (more than the one night cost). I find at Cache Machines (and most other travelling) I don't spend much time in the room, except for sleeping. So a bed & bathroom is all we need. We've always found Motel 6 to be clean and comfortable (now I could tell you about a 5 star hotel in Suzhou, China where the carpet on the floor was softer than the bed, but that's for another time).

What Craig said. :) I just booked the Motel 6 in Hermiston for $54 a night (AARP rate); that's the one Travis mentioned.

Rob

Rob

I do have to say that I do see your point about the cost. (There is an Oxford in Pendleton that we have stayed at to BTW). For us the cost difference is worth while and I would invite you give them a shot sometime when you feel that you can enjoy them to the fullest.

I am a non-smoker and I make it a rule not to stay in hotels that offer smoking rooms. I had a bad experience once with my Mom & Daughter where we stayed in a hotel that had smoking rooms. We were given a non-smoking room but the smell permeated the entire room. Unfortunately we paid for the room using Hotwire so we changed hotels and I had to eat the cost of the hotel room.

This is why I will be staying at the Oxford Suites. It is 100% non-smoking. You may not have the experience I did but for me once was enough. This is just my two cents.

I am a non-smoker and I make it a rule not to stay in hotels that offer smoking rooms. I had a bad experience once with my Mom & Daughter where we stayed in a hotel that had smoking rooms. We were given a non-smoking room but the smell permeated the entire room. Unfortunately we paid for the room using Hotwire so we changed hotels and I had to eat the cost of the hotel room.

This is why I will be staying at the Oxford Suites. It is 100% non-smoking. You may not have the experience I did but for me once was enough. This is just my two cents.

Did you give the motel a chance to fix the problem? I also got a "non-smoking" room that smelled like an ash tray. When I complained to the front desk they promptly changed me to a different room that met my standards, no fuss, no complaints and they even came and moved all my stuff for me.

I have had the same problem as you with getting stuck in a smoking room or a room that was previously a smoking room, and yes it is truly miserable. On two occasions I can think of off hand the hotels refused to switch me for one reason or another which I don't remember anymore. So 100% non-smoking a big plus for us too.

Yes, we asked to switch rooms but the smell was even worse. The hotel staff were very friendly and apologetic. There was a large group of sports teams there so our room options were limited. I never thought it would be an issue as hotels in Washington are smoke free I believe. But I should of realized Oregon has different laws. We were staying near McMinnville to visit the Air & Space museum and check out the GPS Maze exhibit.

What Craig said. :) I just booked the Motel 6 in Hermiston for $54 a night (AARP rate); that's the one Travis mentioned.

Money's tight - We will have to book Motel 6, but the Oxford would've been really nice. I will still try my best to Priceline bid another ;) Our AARP rate for 2 is $59 online for Motel 6.

Edited by Lizzy

For what it's worth, entering code 550807 in Motel6.com's "CorporatePlus/ID Number" field drops the price to $53.39 per night. Whether it's OK to use the code, I don't know, but I did it. I found it on RetailMeNot and in the FlyerTalk forums.

Dang - forgot to check RetailMeNot...

For what it's worth, entering code 550807 in Motel6.com's "CorporatePlus/ID Number" field drops the price to $53.39 per night. Whether it's OK to use the code, I don't know, but I did it. I found it on RetailMeNot and in the FlyerTalk forums.

That would save me about 50 cents off the AARP rate ... And I save $3 with free wifi with AARP. Interesting.

this will be my first cache machine and im looking forward to it. question though... I read on the event page dinner on Saturday at the panda inn but on here I read Puerto Vallarta. :blink: ...look im lost already. lol.

by the way, I hope the lounge stays open late on Friday at the panda inn. we will be staying at the motel 6 and wont arrive from the Spokane area until 830 or so. :P

"Is anything going on before, during, or after?

•Friday, March 21 at 6:30 p.m. will be a pre-event dinner at the Chuckwagon Café, 81027 N. Highway 395, Hermiston, N 45° 53.000, W 119° 17.770.

•Saturday, March 22, at 7:30 p.m., dinner will be at Puerto Vallarta, 8208 NE State Hwy 104, Kingston, N 47° 48.650 W 122° 32.406. Please let me know how many of you are coming by logging a "will attend" on the event page.

•Sunday, March 23, is up to you. There's a lot more caches in the area.

"

Edited by the tc life

•Saturday, March 22, at 7:30 p.m., dinner will be at Puerto Vallarta, 8208 NE State Hwy 104, Kingston, N 47° 48.650 W 122° 32.406. Please let me know how many of you are coming by logging a "will attend" on the event page.

That is Travis sending us on a wild goose chase to make up for the cache in Portugal I tried to send us to. :) Actually Travis missed that when he edited the boilerplate from the winter cache machine. The dinner will be at the Panda Inn.

What is going on during is a bunch of crazy cachers running around town logging caches. The before is the pre-event get together and on Sunday folks try to get some caches they missed and then head home.

And welcome aboard. Hope to see you at the dinner and hope you have a good day.

Edited by jholly

That is Travis sending us on a wild goose chase to make up for the cache in Portugal I tried to send us to. :) Actually Travis missed that when he edited the boilerplate from the winter cache machine. The dinner will be at the Panda Inn.

Oops. Fixed it.

Oops. Fixed it.

now what excuse am I going to use for being lost? thanks for the info update.

Oops. Fixed it.

now what excuse am I going to use for being lost? thanks for the info update.

I remember a radio conversation during the Gig Harbor CM. Someone was on the radio asking how to get to the restaurant for the post-CM dinner. The reply was something like, "You can find a micro in the woods, but you can't find a restaurant?"

If I recall correctly, the 'local road' between 79 (Praying Mantis) and 80 (A Pain in the Tuckus) is signed as No Trespassing. You'd need to double back from 79 east to Powerline Road and head north, arriving at 81 (park and grab) before 80. Might confirm this with a more local cacher in case something has in fact changed since I was last out there.

~ PLEASE . . . I would so like to attend this cache machine . . Trouble is I need someone to ride along with. Hoping someone even from this area even... Thank You in advance

I no longer need to have someone to ride along with (except for the company). I purchased a Garmin nuvi 2555 LMT w/free lifetime maps and traffic. It occasionally leads me astray but you just have to pay attention.
If I recall correctly, the 'local road' between 79 (Praying Mantis) and 80 (A Pain in the Tuckus) is signed as No Trespassing. You'd need to double back from 79 east to Powerline Road and head north, arriving at 81 (park and grab) before 80. Might confirm this with a more local cacher in case something has in fact changed since I was last out there.

The satellite views don't show any shadows that look like road blocks, but I'm seeing a "dead end" sign at the end of the pavement (1/3 mile east of "Yellow Jacket Surprise"), and a few finders at "Praying Mantis" have written things like "end of the road" and "now for a U turn". Sounds like it's blocked to me. Maybe the folks participating in the CITO event will check this out, but for the next draft, I'll U-turn the route at "Praying Mantis" and route to "A Pain in the Tuckus" via Agnew Rd (and thus moving "Bored In Hermiston" and "Roadside Park and Grab" about eight stops later in the route.

e4181640-32a0-4ecd-813c-cdc334373f65.gif

Although I've not done it, I believe #16 (Wrong turn results in wrong road) can only be accessed from the south (not via Wolfe Lane as the map indicates).

The sat photo's do support this, but show Bagget Lane continues east from Alpine Dr, giving a direct access path.

I think I'm going to remove "Wrong turn results in wrong road" from the route. It's a bit far from the main route, and I only included it because I thought one CM participant would find "Wolfe Ln" amusing. Logs on the cache indicate several "no trespassing" signs unless accessed from the south, and also that it's a good CITO spot (meaning probably a not-so-neat cache spot).

Agnew is not a through road. The county road ends after GC2DDDF prior to the canal, trickling down to a single track driveway to a farm. Even the Google Earth street view vehicle stopped at the end of the pavement B) . The canal road (also shown at Country Lane) which parallels I-82 is not open to regular travel. You'd need to turn around, go south to Knight Road, go east, then turn north on Powerline Road.

Edited by WR7X

#37 GC2EHM9 - I think "Linda Ave" (the north-south portion anyway) is still a desert 2-track, not an established city street. I know there are barricades along some parts of West Elm to prevent off-roading. I recall parking and walking to GC2EHM9. There's a big gravel parking lot northeast of the cache.

#62 GC48EJM - cache page says to park at Riverfront Park, the access point for 58-61. I concur. There is minimal parking on the south side of West Highland Ave. You cannot drive down into the old gravel parking lot that GC48EJM is near. I've done a former cache near this one and walked under the bridge at the south end of Riverfront Park to get to it.

Draft 2 is up! Thanks to WR7X, TumbleweedPirates, JHolly, and AstroGliders for your feedback. I've removed GC292XT, GC1AP52, and GC3J6JZ, and added a possible lunch stop (#45) at MacKenzie Park, which is currently possible but not certain.

I may have made other additions or removals, so review carefully. I welcome any further feedback. Have fun at the CITO event this weekend!

Edited by travisl