Garmin Oregon 6xx Firmware Version 3.80

Catch

Changes made from version 3.60 to 3.80:

Added a separate zoom level setting for geocaches (Setup > Map > Advanced Map Setup > Zoom Levels > Geocaches)

Added support for additional ActiveRouting cartography

Improved GLONASS performance

Improved display of marine-specific lines in BlueChart g2 maps

Improved boot time when large amounts of photos are present

Fixed map display of highway shields

Fixed issue with incorrect letter capitalization of certain map points

Fixed issue retrieving PLSS data in certain TOPO US 24k maps

Fixed possible issue with +/- buttons when using Sight N' Go

Added a separate zoom level setting for geocaches (Setup > Map > Advanced Map Setup > Zoom Levels > Geocaches)

Who wants to go first? I got burned by 3.70, and I'm planning for a multi-day outing. Looking forward to reports from others.

--Larry

Who wants to go first? I got burned by 3.70, and I'm planning for a multi-day outing. Looking forward to reports from others.

--Larry

I went and it loaded fine at first. Then it crashed when I went to "Where to" "Photo". Now it freezes at the "Loading waypoints, tracks and routes phase" on boot up and I am not sure how I will ever get it to boot again. I did have problems with 3.70. You were probably wise to wait and see since you are going on an outing.

Thanks to Malibooboo's suggestion I removed all non-Oregon 650 photographs on the unit. I had some photos taken previously from my Montana loaded to a folder named JPEG on my internal memory. There might be a connection to the crashing with photos not taken on the device but as of yet no smoking gun.

I will report that I had one boot crash and a freeze after upgrading but since removing my non-oregon photos and putting them back on the unit I haven't had an issue.

Nothing conclusive yet for those with trepidations about upgrading. I'll probably test the unit throughout the night since it takes sometimes an hour before it freezes. Verdict is still out.

Edited by yogazoo

I was running 3.70 and made the transition to 3.80 on the 600.. The only thing I notice is that the geocaches no longer are displayed on the OSM map, but they are listed in the unit. Only the child waypoints are displayed. I suppose I'll reinstall the GPX files and check the settings tomorrow when I have more energy to deal with it.

After what seemed like a bumpy start with v3.80 on my Oregon 650t, which had some issues with v3.70, all is running well. I did remove, reboot, and reinstall all of the photos that were taken on a Montana unit I previously owned after a random crash. I have OSM maps, Topo 24K, BirdsEye imagery, and a bunch more free maps from GPSfileDepot.

I went and navigated to some geocaches, drove around town, and bagged a three mile hike tonight to test the firmware out in the elements. I noticed a small hiccup early on with GLONASS making my tracklog look like spaghetti after turning on GLONASS on the fly, but a reboot took care of that and I never experienced it again for the rest of the evening.

From someone who had plenty of issues with v3.70 last weekend, my unit appears as stable as it ever was. I'm going to leave it running all night to see if the nefarious freezing nemesis pops up again but so far so good. After the GLONASS glitch early-on the unit settled down and it appeared to function, on a satellite reception level, better than ever.

EDITED UPDATE: Well it started ok and ran fine early last evening but there must be a file or files on my unit that are causing some problems. It could just be my unit but I'm having some intermittent boot issues this morning.

Since these issues are intermittent and possibly only evident with a small percentage of users it would be a good test for everyone who installs v3.80 to run your unit through a few boot cycles then let the unit run overnight. If you wake up and it's still running you'll probably be ok.

Edited by yogazoo

--Larry

How exactly did you get "burned" by V3.70? I just got an Oregon 600 and immediately updated it to V3.70. Took it on a road trip from central Arizona to northern Utah last weekend and I didn't have a single hiccup. It was on a tour bus, so I had a LOT of time to get intimately familiar with the unit.

Just tried to update via Garmin Express and it said my Oregon 600 wasn't supported. Webupdater said the 3.80 file was corrupted after it downloaded and, thankfully, my unit wasn't updated. Anyone else experience this?

I use a Macintosh computer. Earlier today I used Garmin Express (version 2.5.3) to upgrade my Oregon 600 from firmware 3.70 to 3.80. The update was uneventdful and the Oregon 600 is now running firmware 3.80. In addition, so far I have had no problems using 3.80.

I use a Macintosh computer. Earlier today I used Garmin Express (version 2.5.3) to upgrade my Oregon 600 from firmware 3.70 to 3.80. The update was uneventdful and the Oregon 600 is now running firmware 3.80. In addition, so far I have had no problems using 3.80.

Wow, they sure do shotgun out the updates. I had Garmin Express V2.4.5, so I just updated it to V2.5.4, which is even newer than your version, and it still won't recognize my Oregon 600 (PC with Windows 7). I just went through this with my old StreetPilot 2727 and trying to install City Navigator NA 2014.40. Garmin Express wouldn't recognize it either and told me to download Mapupdater, which I did last Friday. Mapupdater always encountered an error, so I called Garmin this past Wednesday. Turns out in those 4-5 days they'd released yet another new version of Mapupdater and it did the install on my 2720.

Edited by sviking

--Larry

How exactly did you get "burned" by V3.70? I just got an Oregon 600 and immediately updated it to V3.70. Took it on a road trip from central Arizona to northern Utah last weekend and I didn't have a single hiccup. It was on a tour bus, so I had a LOT of time to get intimately familiar with the unit.

This post et seq.

--Larry

There seem to be two separate camps with the latest 3.70 / 3.80 updates. There are those who have issues and those who don't. If you had issues with v3.70 then you'll likely to have issues with v3.80. If 3.70 ran fine then you'll probably be ok with v3.80.

The issues, for those having them, appear to be sporadic. Sometimes it works, sometimes you have boot failures, sometimes the unit will freeze after some time normally operating.

If your v3.80 is working fine then great. But just be aware that there are enough reports from various sources that describe some having issues. The issues don't seem to be related to map validation.

Sviking

did you try the updatw with webupdater?

Yes. As I said a couple of posts up, Webupdated downloaded the file and then immediately said it was corrupted and that my Oregon 600 was not updated.

Sviking,

I am not sure it this will work, but it is worth a try. I suggest that you remove the micro sd card fro the Oregon, reboot and try the update again, without the micro sd card installed. If that doesn't work I suggest you contact Garmin tech support. They may have a suggestion that will allow you to upgrade to 3.80.

Edited by Barrikady

For my eTrex 20 and GPSMAP 62s, I download the respective GCD file myself and do the updates manually.

See the Oregon 6xx wiki for the file pattern for the URL:

http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/Firmware

One thing I have discovered is that when I download gcd files, I have to use Internet Explorer, since Chrome opens the files, whereas IE prompts you to open or download.

Hi,

only to say that this new firmware version has problems.

"Multiple reports of frequent lock-ups and crashes"

It is your choice.

I am a little bit dissapointed with garmin. Two consecutive releases with this kind of problems

Some people has no problems. Strange.

regards

For my eTrex 20 and GPSMAP 62s, I download the respective GCD file myself and do the updates manually.

See the Oregon 6xx wiki for the file pattern for the URL:

http://garminoregon6xx.wikispaces.com/Firmware

One thing I have discovered is that when I download gcd files, I have to use Internet Explorer, since Chrome opens the files, whereas IE prompts you to open or download.

Thanks for the suggestion to drag/drop the file manually on to the unit. That worked. Installed and booted up fine into V3.80. I downloaded the file via Firefox with no issues. I bookmarked that page for the next update, which I'm sure will be right around the corner...

New to the Oregon 600, and I'm on the second unit after the 1st one (from REI) "bricked" in less that 2 weeks out of the box (with upgraded firmware - 3.80). I've had this second new 600 a whole day, and after starting with a totally clean slate, blank SD card, upgraded firmware (to 3.80) and software, then putting in the newly formatted SDcard and installed my maps, it locks up constantly (I have to pull the batteries). This unit is so buggy I'm about to bail on it and try a GPSMAP 64s. I can get this 600 to lock up very easily by saving a waypoint or the current track. Should I try a previous firmware release (3.60) or is a reliable Oregon 600 even a possibility? I love the concept of the Oregon 600, but the implementation looks like junk to me so far. :(

Edited by thiggins99

New to the Oregon 600, and I'm on the second unit after the 1st one (from REI) "bricked" in less that 2 weeks out of the box (with upgraded firmware - 3.80). I've had this second new 600 a whole day, and after starting with a totally clean slate, blank SD card, upgraded firmware (to 3.80) and software, then putting in the newly formatted SDcard and installed my maps, it locks up constantly (I have to pull the batteries). This unit is so buggy I'm about to bail on it and try a GPSMAP 64s. I can get this 600 to lock up very easily by saving a waypoint or the current track. Should I try a previous firmware release (3.60) or is a reliable Oregon 600 even a possibility? I love the concept of the Oregon 600, but the implementation looks like junk to me so far. :(

Hate to say it, but it just sounds like you've had defective units. Mine has never locked up and been very stable. I updated it to 3.70 right out of the box and then to 3.80 as soon as it was available. No problems with either version. Oh, one nice thing about 3.80... If you've "acquired" the CNNA street maps via alternate means, they now work fine. :anibad:

So how do I find a "good" one ? REI's stock is full of bad units ?

Sviking's experience appears to be the exception rather than the rule, at least based on posts in this forum. There have been many reports of instability with both the 3.70 and 3.80 firmware updates.

I've owned my Oregon 650 for almost a year now, and it was more or less stable (just occasionally freezing up and requiring a reboot) until I tried installing firmware version 3.70. After that "update", my unit took forever to boot, if it booted at all. If and when it managed to boot completely, it would freeze again in a short time. I reverted to firmware version 3.60 and my unit is mostly stable again.

For more details on the issue, see this thread.

If your units came with firmware version 3.70 or 3.80, I would strongly recommend installing 3.60 before returning it to REI. See this post for full instructions.

--Larry

Good news! I installed 3.60 on my new Oregon 600 and I've been TRYING to make it lock up, and cannot. Yay ! Garmin needs to recall version 3.80 of the firmware as it is obviously incompatible (as 3.70 was) with at least some of the Oregon 600's. In evidence, I present the two new 600's I tried it on,... no joy.

Edited by thiggins99

Sviking's experience appears to be the exception rather than the rule

Or since I just got it this month, I got the newest batch with possible hardware updates or something. Who knows. Garmin has been known, more than once, to make hardware changes during production and not make it public. SiRF to MTK chip in the 60CSx, different touchscreens on the original Oregons, etc.

I bought mine from LL Bean, in case anyone wonders/cares...

Edited by sviking

I'm not sure if everyone having problems has custom waypoint symbols but my units, previously experiencing nothing but issues with 3.80, are now working fine after I removed my custom waypoint symbols first AND THEN performed a master reset.

I've been running fine for several days now after the above actions.

Edited by yogazoo

I'm not sure if everyone having problems has custom waypoint symbols but my units, previously experiencing nothing but issues with 3.80, are now working fine after I removed my custom waypoint symbols first AND THEN performed a master reset.

I've been running fine for several days now after the above actions.

My Oregon 650 was unstable (freezes and crashes) after updating to firmware version 3.70. I reverted to 3.60, and the unit is currently stable with 3.60.

The unit does have a few custom waypoint symbols (just to add a data point).

Those custom waypoint symbols are more important for my uses than anything offered in the 3.70/3.80 updates. As a result, I don't intend to remove them or do a master reset unless it's absolutely necessary.

I use the unit for on-the-road navigation as well as geocaching, and really don't want to use it for what amounts to beta testing for Garmin. If Garmin loaned me a unit for beta testing purposes, I would be more than happy to play with it and report back. In the meantime, I won't be applying any firmware updates until I'm convinced the update is stable and doesn't require my losing functionality I paid for.

--Larry

I would like to add that I have been having problems with 3.80. The issue is that it occasionally hangs on start up at the loading waypoints and tracks screen. I thought it might have been caused by my computer going into sleep mode when the gps was hooked up or I thought that maybe I wasn't "safely" ejecting the device, but after a few times of making sure I did, it wasn't consistent either way. I should also mention that I have no custom symbols in the directory. I am going to revert back to 3.60.

I would like to add that I have been having problems with 3.80. The issue is that it occasionally hangs on start up at the loading waypoints and tracks screen. I thought it might have been caused by my computer going into sleep mode when the gps was hooked up or I thought that maybe I wasn't "safely" ejecting the device, but after a few times of making sure I did, it wasn't consistent either way. I should also mention that I have no custom symbols in the directory. I am going to revert back to 3.60.

Snassek, I too had nothing but problems with v3.80 until I removed my Custom Waypoint Symbols. After I did that, and performed a master reset, everything has been fine. You mentioned not having any custom symbols. If you wanted to get v3.80 working again I have a suggestion. Try removing all user data and master reset by holding in the user button during a startup. After a master reset with 3.80 you should then be able to add your waypoint, track, and photo data again. I'm not sure but I don't get the sense that Garmin completely understands what's causing some users to experience issues and others to not. This might mean that whatever is causing issues with some users may persist through a few software versions. For me it was the Custom Waypoint Symbols but others, like yourself, are having issues with some other user-loaded file that causes the freezing.

Make sure you report your experience with version 3.80 to oregon.beta@garmin.com. Squeaky wheels get grease.

Edited by yogazoo

Nothing personal everyone, but this thread doesn't make good reading.... I think I'll stick to 3.60 on my Oregon 650 for the moment as it's reasonably stable.

3.80 is very stable for many people, as long as you don't have boot and freezing issues. I know that sounds weird but it's kinda the gist.

Nothing personal everyone, but this thread doesn't make good reading.... I think I'll stick to 3.60 on my Oregon 650 for the moment as it's reasonably stable.

3.80 is very stable for many people, as long as you don't have boot and freezing issues. I know that sounds weird but it's kinda the gist.

This is just my own personal opinion, but based on the updates promised with 3.80, I don't see anything worth risking the crashes and freezes a lot of people (myself included) have seen. I'll wait.

--Larry

This is just my own personal opinion, but based on the updates promised with 3.80, I don't see anything worth risking the crashes and freezes a lot of people (myself included) have seen. I'll wait.

--Larry

Yeah I think I'm tending to agree at this stage. That list of changes from 3.60 to 3.80 doesn't appear to include anything particularly important. Early on with the 650 (I've had it since 1st April last year) I noticed odd things like sometimes randomly not displaying a geocache (not a filter issue, although the screen sensitivity did cause a lot of pocket filtering, pocket flashlight switching on, pocket gallery and photo taking, etc). That was a fault that disturbed me somewhat as I had no way of knowing when and which caches were being hidden from me. I haven't noticed that for a while now, after a number of s/w updates.

For a while, despite having the fields locked, I have noticed the small data fields change every now and then to really useless things like total descent, instead of distance to dest. I never pin pointed exactly what it was, and I couldn't even figure out how to change them, since I had the fields locked (???) but I've standardised them all again, in the various views and profiles I use, so I'll keep an eye on them to see if they continue to change.

I've also had inexplicable crashes and total loss of all loaded caches (annoyingly, while overseas... but luckily I had a copy of the .ggz on my laptop at my hotel, so I managed to ressurect it when i got back).

I'll give Garmin something... They certainly created a device with a personality! (I'm just waiting for it to tell me it's name is Samantha and it doesn't feel like geocaching today)

For a while, despite having the fields locked, I have noticed the small data fields change every now and then to really useless things like total descent, instead of distance to dest. I never pin pointed exactly what it was, and I couldn't even figure out how to change them, since I had the fields locked (???) but I've standardised them all again, in the various views and profiles I use, so I'll keep an eye on them to see if they continue to change.

And here I thought I was the only person whose 650 did that. In the case of my unit, anyway, I'm fairly sure the unit changed those small data fields by itself, and at totally random times. And I'm absolutely sure those data fields were locked when it happened. Sometime a few updates ago, those random changes started happening a lot less often, though I still see them occasionally. I've gotten so used to it happening that these days it takes me no time at all to change them back.

I think you're right, these things have personalities. Or maybe they're just possessed.

--Larry

I think you're right, these things have personalities. Or maybe they're just possessed.

If you want to see possessed, set the screen sensitivity to high and then use the unit in heavy rain! When the screen gets wet, it goes freakin nuts!

Warning: only do this if you know how to go back and undo all the crazy things it will do to itself as it flashes through all sorts of screens changing all sorts of settings on account of the water causing phantom screen presses...

Hi all,

I have V3.80 on my 650 and it works reasonably ok. I noticed though that sometimes if you navigate by car to a geocache and then, when close to the cache you switch to a direct route the position is shown as 'stay on road'. The icon is not moving away from the road anymore if I walk into the fields. In the menu I see the setting 'stay on road' (not sure if it is called like this in the English firmware, just translated it from the Dutch version) is set on then for some reason, where I always have this one off.

Are more people experiencing this once in a while (as said, it doesn't happen all the times)? Does anyone know if this is a known issue?

Thanks and regards,

Toho_NL

Hi all,

I have V3.80 on my 650 and it works reasonably ok. I noticed though that sometimes if you navigate by car to a geocache and then, when close to the cache you switch to a direct route the position is shown as 'stay on road'. The icon is not moving away from the road anymore if I walk into the fields. In the menu I see the setting 'stay on road' (not sure if it is called like this in the English firmware, just translated it from the Dutch version) is set on then for some reason, where I always have this one off.

Are more people experiencing this once in a while (as said, it doesn't happen all the times)? Does anyone know if this is a known issue?

Thanks and regards,

Toho_NL

In English, this setting is "Lock On Road". I've experienced this bug on my Oregon 650 and my Oregon 550t. It's not a bug that was introduced with 3.80, but it happens infrequently enough that you might not have been bitten by it before now.

It seems to occur at random (at least I've never been able to discern any pattern). I never intentionally use the "Lock On Road" setting, so it's really irritating, and disorienting, when it happens.

--Larry

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your response. I indeed didn't notice it before but as you said it is also happens infrequently on the V3.80 version so it could indeed very well be that I was just 'lucky' that it didn't happen in the other versions. Do you know if Garmin is aware of this and if not how we can make them aware? Is there some feedback channel to them?

Regards,

Toho_NL