Use my iphone5 in The Algarve

denise143

In april I am going to the algarve and I want to go geocaching. I will be using my iphone5 and using the geocaching app. I am not a premium member so cannot make pocket queries, and was wondering is there anyway I will be able to geocache without becoming a premium member and without using data roaming. I would really love to do this on holiday. thanks Denise

While you're at home, or wherever you have WiFi, just use the phone app to search for caches in the area you want to go. When you find some you want to hunt, save them to an offline list. Also save the maps of that area when it gives you that option.

When you get where you're going, turn off the data on your phone. You will still be able to cache because your phone has a GPS chip in it and you have saved all the cache info beforehand. It takes a wee bit longer to acquire satellites and get a fix on your location because it won't have the "assist" from the cell towers, but it should work.

Practice a little with saving caches and using the app with the data turned off before you go.

you can also get a 3 month premium membership for $10. That would get you through your holidays.

I don't see how premium membership would help if you are going to be abroad with no data plan. The official app is sufficient for downloading the data before you leave.

Completely doable without Premium membership, but it would be a bit more work.....searching and saving from the app you can only save 30 at a time. If there are really a lot of caches in that area it could take awhile. A PQ downloaded to the app would be a lot easier and quicker. So the PM would be a great convenience, but not an absolute necessity.

Completely doable without Premium membership, but it would be a bit more work.....searching and saving from the app you can only save 30 at a time.

I'm fairly certain you can save more than 30 at a time - I did 110 on Sunday on one of the few days I was actually using an iPhone.

You just keep on adding caches to the advanced search - iirc you hit the button in the top right and load more caches (or whatever it says).

You're absolutely right though - no need for premium membership. Maps might not load very effectively at the scale you'd ideally like them at when you're away but the compass will work fine.

Completely doable without Premium membership, but it would be a bit more work.....searching and saving from the app you can only save 30 at a time.

I'm fairly certain you can save more than 30 at a time - I did 110 on Sunday on one of the few days I was actually using an iPhone.

You just keep on adding caches to the advanced search - iirc you hit the button in the top right and load more caches (or whatever it says).

You're absolutely right though - no need for premium membership. Maps might not load very effectively at the scale you'd ideally like them at when you're away but the compass will work fine.

Yup. Takes me under a min to save a few hundred caches. Just keep hitting that "load more caches" button until you're satisfied...