Can you create a compass shortcut on the Oregon 600?

sviking

I do not believe there is a way to set up a shortcut to do that. With it set to "Auto", the compass already automatically switches between using the 3-axis compass and GPS heading depending upon how fast you are moving.

I don't like that function and its simplistic nature. Being on all the time when you're moving needlessly wastes battery life when you just need a quick heading check and it isn't even customizable. Even my now ancient 60CSx let you set the speed at which the compass activated.

I do not believe there is a way to set up a shortcut to do that. With it set to "Auto", the compass already automatically switches between using the 3-axis compass and GPS heading depending upon how fast you are moving.

I don't like that function and its simplistic nature. Being on all the time when you're moving needlessly wastes battery life when you just need a quick heading check and it isn't even customizable. Even my now ancient 60CSx let you set the speed at which the compass activated.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=262344

The compass shouldn't significantly affect battery performance.

=

Still sucks juice, though. Right there in your link, the compass draws twice the current as being on the map screen when it isn't redrawing. And, I know it sure burns the batteries faster when the compass is on with my 60CSx.

=

Still sucks juice, though. Right there in your link, the compass draws twice the current as being on the map screen when it isn't redrawing. And, I know it sure burns the batteries faster when the compass is on with my 60CSx.

No no, that's the compass page. Not the electronic compass. It draws the same current whether the electronic compass is turned on or off. But the Oregon itself draws more power than the 60 series. I think the touch screen requires more power to operate than a standard screen and buttons.

If you are that concerned about battery life, start grabbing the low-hanging fruit first: Don't leave the screen on the map page or the compass page when you don't need that information. Those pages update the scree pretty much constantly which means less battery life. Limit your backlight usage and use the Battery Save mode that turns off the screen after awhile. Tap the power button to 'wake up' the screen again. Then tackle the map settings: Use "Normal" for your map speed and "North Up" for the orientation.

I just have to bring in some humor about wasting battery life.Yesterday, I was at a park and was observing a geocacher ,looking for a cache.He was so intent looking at his gps that he walked smack into a tree.The cache was some 70 yards away.I have seen this happen several times.I saw one fellow flip over a fallen log,staring at his gps.Now,why have your gps on using the battery up ,if, you know which direction the cache is until you get way closer.

If you are that concerned about battery life, start grabbing the low-hanging fruit first: Don't leave the screen on the map page or the compass page when you don't need that information. Those pages update the scree pretty much constantly which means less battery life. Limit your backlight usage and use the Battery Save mode that turns off the screen after awhile. Tap the power button to 'wake up' the screen again. Then tackle the map settings: Use "Normal" for your map speed and "North Up" for the orientation.

I already do all of that.