Etrex30

bukrub66

Hi Folks, Fairly new here from Montgomery, Texas. The wife and I have been doing these little treasures for about 2 weeks. The iPhone app really worked ok except when we were out in the country with no cell signal, so I bought an etrex30. Finally figured out how to load pocket queries but can figure out how to get the info back on the system. If I use the GPS to log my finds, and make comments and such. How do I get that info back so it shows on my account. The GPS is loaded as a spare drive, so really doesn't synch with GeoCaching.com. Can someone explain this. I oppologise if this has been asked 400 times. I looked first and couldn't find it.

When you log in the field your comments are saved in the form of Field Notes. I think most folks use a third party like GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to edit and upload their finds.

I'm not really clear about how this process works, though....I've always preferred to simply go home, sit at the computer, and log my finds on the website. I think it's a PITA to actually try to type comments on a GPS. Not so bad on the iPhone app, in fact I typed this entire post on my phone, but a handheld GPS just isn't made for it (and I have the Oregon, which at least has a touch screen....I couldn't imagine doing it with that little joystick 😳). It's no wonder that TFTC has become the standard log these days.

Speaking as a cache owner, I'd much prefer to see folks get in the habit of going home after an enjoyable day of caching, gathering their thoughts, and sitting down to write some meaningful logs, instead of hastily punching out a couple of acronyms in the field. When you put some real effort into selecting a location, getting good coordinates, finding or designing a suitable container and stocking it with decent swag, it's a bit of a slap when 3/4 of the logs just say "TFTC" or "Found"

Getting to hear about your adventure is the only real reward a CO gets. Logging with a GPS just discourages that.

Edited by Chief301

Thanks for the info guys. That's just what I needed. And WOW, do I ever feel like an a**. TFTC is what I almost always write... I will change that practice immediately as you are absolutely correct. We really enjoy finding these, and someone did go thru a huge effort to place them for me...

Thanks for the info guys. That's just what I needed. And WOW, do I ever feel like an a**. TFTC is what I almost always write... I will change that practice immediately as you are absolutely correct. We really enjoy finding these, and someone did go thru a huge effort to place them for me...

Here's a hint... if you want it.

Bang out your field note in the GPSr with no spaces, commas or the like. Just enough info that you can remember being at that specific cache and what you did/saw while there.

Once you upload your field notes, you have the opportunity to edit that into a full-blown log before hitting the [submit] button. We have always done that 'cuz we despise TFTC logs. Too, it helps to trace back info (TB's, photos, etc.).

NOTE: Editing the log after submitting, does not send an email to the CO. You would want to have as much in there BEFORE submitting that field note (on the computer) as a log. It really doesn't take much longer as you must submit each of those field notes that are now on the computer as a log, anyway.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

When you log in the field your comments are saved in the form of Field Notes. I think most folks use a third party like GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to edit and upload their finds.

I'm not really clear about how this process works, though....I've always preferred to simply go home, sit at the computer, and log my finds on the website. I think it's a PITA to actually try to type comments on a GPS. Not so bad on the iPhone app, in fact I typed this entire post on my phone, but a handheld GPS just isn't made for it (and I have the Oregon, which at least has a touch screen....I couldn't imagine doing it with that little joystick 😳). It's no wonder that TFTC has become the standard log these days.

Speaking as a cache owner, I'd much prefer to see folks get in the habit of going home after an enjoyable day of caching, gathering their thoughts, and sitting down to write some meaningful logs, instead of hastily punching out a couple of acronyms in the field. When you put some real effort into selecting a location, getting good coordinates, finding or designing a suitable container and stocking it with decent swag, it's a bit of a slap when 3/4 of the logs just say "TFTC" or "Found"

Getting to hear about your adventure is the only real reward a CO gets. Logging with a GPS just discourages that.

I use my GPS to make Field Note records (no text, just a "found") and then go home to the computer and edit those field notes (directly on geocaching.com) before submitting the logs. When I use my Android, the logs tend to be shorter. LPC's tend to get TFTC's, while any cache with significance is going to get an extended, detailed log. The better the hide, the better my log. My primary caching buddy also uses a GPS to cache (in 2014, he still has no cell phone), but he simply makes a list of GC numbers and enters finds from that list through the website. Nearly two years into my caching career, it was time spent on these forums that taught me the value of a quality log.

I use an eTrex30 as our primary navigator. On the eTrex, I just mark the caches as found. I use the smartphone to handle the descriptions, hints and the logging. I use CacheSense (Android) and my wife uses Geosphere (iPhone). The Groundspeak app also allows saving cache data to an offline list and I think it allows you to save logs to a field note instead of instantly uploading them in the field. Since you already have the app, why not continue to use it for what it does best and leave the navigating to the eTrex?

've always preferred to simply go home, sit at the computer, and log my finds on the website. I think it's a PITA to actually try to type comments on a GPS.

That's my preference too. I never liked typing on a cell phone or GPS but I want to write something more when I log. I used the GPS or cell phone to create short notes to myself about the cache and use those create my log when I'm sitting in front of the computer.

I am very new to geocaching and have just purchased an etrex30 and was wondering if someone could step by step me through the process of finding a cache with it. I'm gathering from reading from here that most will enter co'ordinates in the vehicle gps to get to the closet parking to the cache; however, once there and getting out of the vehicle what is the process? Are you using compass mode at this time? Any assistance would be appreciated.

I am very new to geocaching and have just purchased an etrex30 and was wondering if someone could step by step me through the process of finding a cache with it. I'm gathering from reading from here that most will enter co'ordinates in the vehicle gps to get to the closet parking to the cache; however, once there and getting out of the vehicle what is the process? Are you using compass mode at this time? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Well, your car GPS (ours is a nüvi, will take you to the nearest road, not necessarily the proper parking. (Done a few where the nüvi told us to stop on the NJ Turnpike. NOPE!)

If you're looking for an urban micro (or parking lot cache), then follow the compass. If you have a distance to go in a park, then consult the trail maps! I have some that area mile or more from parking. Please follow the trails/trail maps. Bushwhacking from the nearest point is not always a great idea! Use the compass, but also use common sense.