Moving to Northeast Mississippi.

DaMoores

Hello all,

I'm taking a job transfer to our Shannon MS location. We are leaving the freak show California where I was born and raised. I've been Geocaching for. . . 8 yrs and have a great time. I would like to meet up with some of you great people and do some caching. I know about the critters out west and what to look for, But out here it's all new. Anybody have a pointer or two I'm all ears. I do alot more caching then logging. I'm into it for the memories.

Gene

Edited by DaMoores

I know Starkville has a pretty active caching community, I've seen a lot of logs from and references to the Starkville Mafia when caching in that general area.

These regional forums tend to be pretty quiet; you may want to try searching Facebook for Mississippi geocaching groups.

First, here is a link to The Mississippi Geocachers Association.

Shannon is a good bit from Starkville. Not a terrible drive from Shannon, but it won't be in your home turf. However, there are a lot of caches there and will make for some good hunting. Starkville is the home of MS State U, known locally as "State". There are also a good number of caches in the other college town - Oxford - The home of the University of MS aka "Ole Miss".

There are some good caches around Tupelo which, as I'm sure you know, is just north of Shannon, but there aren't a lot of them. I go there a couple of times a year as my wife is from there, we lived there for about 10 years after we were married, and we go see her family. Maybe you will add some life to the area and give me some new nearby finds to hunt next time I am in town! :laughing:

Around there you have to watch for the poisonous plants. PI is abundant. Kudzu is a pain, but it is not poisonous. It is the green leafy plant that seems to envelop everything in its path. Watch the fire ants and learn how to deal with ticks.

Heat and humidity will be your biggest problem. Learn how to hydrate properly and you'll be fine. Just give yourself time to adjust to the climate before you go all Rambo out there.

You also won't be far from Tennessee or Alabama so those will be some good road trips for you. And there is a pretty good series along the Natchez Trace Parkway. That is a National Park roadway that has lots of historical sites. Near Tupelo someone got permission to hide some caches along it.

Be patient when you get there and be prepared for some culture shock. Things move at their own pace and in their own way around there.