When to encrypt a log

I'm curious what the forum's opinions are about when it is appropriate and inappropriate to encrypt a log on one of their caches. Is it when they feel the location is compromised? Abusive/foul language? Personal harassment of the finder? I have a situation that involves someone encrypting logs on a cache from a particular use :mad: , and won't give a reason why they are doing it :angry: . Just curious what sort of benchmark the community uses.

Thanks for the input.

I'm curious what the forum's opinions are about when it is appropriate and inappropriate to encrypt a log on one of their caches. Is it when they feel the location is compromised? Abusive/foul language? Personal harassment of the finder? I have a situation that involves someone encrypting logs on a cache from a particular use :mad: , and won't give a reason why they are doing it :angry: . Just curious what sort of benchmark the community uses.

Thanks for the input.

Just my opinion, but encrypting a log is a useless exercise. If it's your cache, you can ask them not to if you don't want them to and if they are giving a spoiler in their log, ask them to edit that out if you want. I deleted a log that had a spoiler after asking them to delete it. When they essentially refused, I deleted it and they never re-logged the find without a spoiler.

I have encrypted my own logs as it may be a spoiler. It gives others the opportunity to not see the potential spoiler, but those that want to, can. I think I've only done this once.

As for logs on my caches-If I think the logs needs to be changed, I'll ask the logger to change it, if they don't I'd delete it and send the logger an email explaining why. I actually did this yesterday, and the logger changed it no problem. If it's your cache, and you don't want people to see the log, the ask them, to change it, or delete it(with an explanation) as encrypting it doesn't hide it that well.

As for abusive/foul logs or harassment, I'd delete them without comment. The person who wrote them knows darn well why they would have been deleted.

Edited by T.D.M.22

For spoilers similar to my encrypted hints, I'd encrypt the log.

For mildly inappropriate logs (severe spoilers, mentioning after-hours visits, etc.), I'd ask the finder to edit the log. So far that has been sufficient, but if the finder didn't edit the log, then I'd delete it.

For very inappropriate logs (abusive, harassing, etc.), I'd just delete the log and report it to Groundspeak. I haven't seen this yet.

But YMMV...

I'm pretty sure you're asking about when it's reasonable for a cache owner to encrypt someone else's log, right? I've never encrypted a log, but I assume I'd do it if someone gave a hint that I didn't mind, but didn't want people to see unless they wanted another hint. Anything more than that, including giving away something I didn't want to give away or saying something offensive or obscene, and I'd just delete the log. Anything less than that, and I'd shrug. So if I saw an owner encrypt a log that didn't seem to be giving anything away, I'd be very puzzled and wonder whether perhaps the CO might be something of a jerk. But then I'd forget about it and move on, even if it was my log.

Encrypting logs make no sense to me. private stuff should be handled by email. logs are for everyone, if there's something inappropriate then edit it or delete it. It's ironic that some people are so determined to share something they have to encrypt it, guaranteeing most people won't bother to read it.

Edited by Fridge01

Encrypting logs make no sense to me. private stuff should be handled by email. logs are for everyone, if there's something inappropriate then edit it or delete it. It's ironic that some people are so determined to share something they have to encrypt it, guaranteeing most people won't bother to read it.

I'm much more likely to read the encrypted log because my curiosity will drive me to know what it says. It's likely much more interesting than the typical "TFTC" logs.