Need help with getting approval for cache in IL KKK River State Park

geotrakinfamily

I just got into geocaching and already found my first cache. I wanted to start placing some cache's as my local area is cache deficient. The nearest cache is some almost 20 miles north and the nearest south is over 50 miles. We have abundant state parks and city parks in the area but much to my surprise they weren't as open as I thought they would be when I called asking to place a cache in the areas. The Kankakee State Park told them I must give them the following information before they can move the request to a higher up:

1. Written request explaining how the geocaching works as well as a proposed location.

2. The location shown on a USGS 7.5 minute topographical map. (don't have a clue about this one)

3. Contact person(s) responsible for maintaining the cache or any groups associated to the cache.

4. List of the initial contents.

5. Bring in an example of the exact container being used.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Illinois State Parks and the probability they will approve a cache if I jump through all the hoops? Can anyone explain how I give them request #2 above? I would appreciate all your feedback on this. TIA

geotrakinfamily

Did you get my email?

As for number 2, I think you should be albe to visit the park and figure out where you want to put the cache. Take the Coords. and then you can mark it out on a map. You can probly use one of the free online ones, but I think they use a little different datum, you may have to be careful about just entering the point and printing.

quote:
Originally posted by geotrakinfamily:

I must give them the following information before they can move the request to a higher up:

1. Written request explaining how the geocaching works as well as a proposed location.

2. The location shown on a USGS 7.5 minute topographical map. (don't have a clue about this one)

3. Contact person(s) responsible for maintaining the cache or any groups associated to the cache.

4. List of the initial contents.

5. Bring in an example of the exact container being used.

Can anyone explain how I give them request #2 above?

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Hi from California,

That lingo is just government speak for a map. It refers to a certain map scale, that scale is 7.5', or 7.5 minutes of latitude. USGS Topo maps are most commonly in 7.5 minute and 15 minute (2x the 7.5, kapeesh?) Anyway, some land managers in parks are starting to clamp down on this sport.

Cleveland Metroparks has the right idea, talk to them in a knowledgable manner. Might not always work but it is the right way to start. We are having our own trouble in California, and I hear of trouble in Arizona on cache removal by Rangers and other Property managers.

Good Luck!

Montythemule

Always remember: "Vince Malum Patientia"