How do I make a TB?

djboom99

Well, you don't really make one. You purchase the numbered tag (or a block of numbers themselves) from Groundspeak or an authorized retailer. It is the tag that is the TB (Travel Bug).

You may attach (nearly) anything you want to the TB tag -- some call these items the "hitchhiker" or "traveler". It can be a toy, a piece of memorabilia, an icon of sorts or even a piece of junk, if you want (there are limits, i.e. dangerous or hazardous things).

The key to the TB is the tracking number, that is what you are purchasing. You are purchasing the right to use their system (geocaching.com) to "track" that number for you on the website.

travelbugwcopy-inset_500.jpg

Be sure to attach the travel bug (one of the tags, NOT the copy tag) firmly to the traveler. Dont rely on the cheap chain and the "locking" mechanism it comes with. TBs have a rough travel, try to make it cacher proof as possible. I suggest a keyring and some glue/welding to save it from beeing opened by chance.

Most important: consider releasing a TB+traveler as throwing it away. You don't have control over it as soon as it's in the wild and it may get lost anyway. If you're lucky and it's traveling some distance, just be (very!) happy.

Good luck!

Be sure to attach the travel bug (one of the tags, NOT the copy tag) firmly to the traveler. Dont rely on the cheap chain and the "locking" mechanism it comes with. TBs have a rough travel, try to make it cacher proof as possible. I suggest a keyring and some glue/welding to save it from beeing opened by chance.

I was just searching the forum to see if there's any reason not to use a split ring instead of the plug chain ... thanks!